New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game trailer is revealed in all its cel-shaded glory

midian182

Staff member

Many gamers of a certain age will likely tell you that one of the best arcade games of the late 80s and early 90s was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles side-scrolling beat-‘em-up. In the 25+ years since this release we’ve had several games featuring the pizza-loving reptiles, yet none of them has matched the multiplayer arcade version. But hopefully, the wait for an excellent new TMNT game may be over, as the long-awaited trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan is officially here – and it does look fairly impressive.

Developed by Platinum Games, the same company behind Bayonetta, Transformers: Devastation and MadWorld, the new trailer looks like this will be another game from the Japanese developer to focus on fast-paced action and use cel-shaded visuals.

The trailer features several characters that anyone familiar with the cartoons/comics/movies will recognize, including Bebop, Rocksteady, Armaggon, and, of course, Shredder.

Like the arcade game, TMNT: Mutants in Manhatten will feature a four-player co-op option, with each person taking control of either Donatello, Leonardo, Michelangelo or Raphael. The Xbox website states that this is an online mode - there's no word yet about local co-op. The site also reveals that the game’s story is penned by TMNT comic writer Tom Waltz.

Mutants in Manhattan has been given a “summer 2016” release date. Seeing as the second rebooted Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie (Out of the Shadows) is set to hit cinemas in June, expect the game to arrive around the same time. Whether TMNT: MiM turns out to be the best Turtles title in years or a sub-par game cashing in on the license’s popularity remains to be seen.

The game will be available on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC.

Permalink to story.

I think snes/arcade turtles in time was the definitive version of the tmnt series.

This looks promising.

I'm more interested in it, simply because Platinum has control of the IP. Sure many might nitpick about some things but, they handle an IP a lot better than I can give many developers these days. With the various flops of various IPs, simply due to mishandling by the publishers. Honestly I can't knock them as much, as I could many others who have let us down time and time again.

Back