New video card does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xris

Hello users of techspot.com i am new to this forum and if i posted something wrong please correct me.

I have a problem instating my new video card witch is a ATI Sapphire HD5770 Looks great and all, but if it does not work it does not do me any good so i need your help.

I am not new to upgrading computers and making them from scratch so do not answear with a "uhgg did you plug it in?"

My system is:
CPU: AMD x4 940 runnning at 3.00 GHz
Mother Board: xfx geforce 8200
PCU: OCZ 600W
Memory: 2 x 2GB Patriot running at 800MHz
Video card: integrated GeForce 8200

When i put the new video card in basically what happens is my monitor shows black all the time. Also i noticed when i start the computer it spins the fans it stops for 1-3 seconds and starts normally from then on with a black screen. I also think after it starts up normally it stops some where that i can't see where... Because my mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. (leads are not on and can't be switched on and mouses optical red light is never on at that point in time.)

The thing is that a recently changed my CPU too. It was a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+.

Any help would be appreciated.

Take out your new video card, and enter the bios. Under one of the menus there should be an option to disable the onboard video. Then shut the computer down and install the video card. Also, to get the card to work properly in windows, uninstall the old graphics drivers before you install the new video card.

Dear Technochicken I have done that. Alot of times and what i get is a black screen. My BIOS says if i have a video card plunged in the PCIE slot it disables automatically.

Have you tried uninstalling the old Nvidia graphics driver through Add and Remove Programs (if XP) before physically installing the new ATI card?

Yea.. i did and i managed to start it up by switching up some jumpers on my computer for overclocking CPU IDK how that happened! Now i can start my system by switching the jumpers.

The next step, if you haven't already, is to install the ATI graphics driver and then you should be good to go.

yea i did and it plays super but when i restart or shut down next start up i again have to switch jumpers to get it working... :(

What jumper? Are you talking about the clear CMOS jumper? And to clarify, do you ever get he black screen with the integrated video, or only with your new card?

Only with the new card and the jumpers are for overclocking CPU at least the motherboard guide says so.
I think it is because the CPU i have because i changed it to my old AMD x2 5000+ and it worked fine. but with this CPU i need to change jumpers and other random ****. I wondered if it can be bad set up on the CPU so it diverts electric flow to the CPU instead of giving it to the video card?

At least now i can play on my new system, but i need to switch jumpers to start it :( .... The only good side is that if some one steals my computer they can't get it to work!

I don't think you can use the AMD x4 940 on that motherboard. I should have looked it up earlier. Is this your motherboard?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813141011. If I read the motherboard specs correctly (the model # you gave was imprecise), it does not support Phenom II CPUs nor does it support CPUs past 95W. The AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz needs 125 watts. You could check the supported CPUs at the XFX website but I doubt you can overcome the wattage issue.

lol sorry for not mentioning i will be swaping the CPU for a 955 i think so i need a AM3 Motherboard.

mailpup that is a nice motherboard :)

Yes, it's a nice one. :) By the way, that motherboard also supports the Phenom II X4 955 AM3 CPU. Just make sure it has the F3 or higher BIOS version. You can get a dedicated AM3 only motherboard but then you would likely have to change your RAM to DDR3 instead of keeping your DDR2 RAM.

Note that it only has one PS/2 port so hopefully that won't be a problem for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back