New 'Yontoo' Trojan targets major browsers on OS X, Windows

Jos

Staff

Apple’s OS X operating system has long been a relatively unpopular target for malware coders, but that’s changing with the platform’s rise in popularity. Today Russian security website Doctor Web is reporting on a new trojan targeting Mac users that silently installs a browser plug-in to inject ads into pages visited by users.

The threat, labeled “Trojan.Yontoo.1”, is reportedly being distributed through movie trailer pages that prompt users to install a browser plugin, a media player, a video quality enhancement program, or a download accelerator. It cannot install itself and instead relies on tricking users into downloading and installing it.

yontoo adware trojan targets major browsers

From there it’s a similar situation as described late last year in what was believed to be the first fake-installer Trojan for OS X. Users see the usual installation screens but instead of loading the promised program -- in this case something called “Free Twit Tube” -- the Trojan will install plug-ins for Safari, Chrome and Firefox. These plug-ins transmits information about the loaded pages to a remote server as the user browsers the web, and with this information it’s able to load third-party ads on any website -- such as Apple.com as shown below.

yontoo adware trojan targets major browsers

There’s no mention of whether Lion and Mountain Lion’s Gatekeeper is able stop the installer in its tracks, though it should be the case with the default setting preventing unsigned code from being executed.

According to Symantec, a variant targeting Windows PCs has been spotted in the wild as well, although in that case the Trojan doesn’t seem to affect Windows 8 and is centered around Facebook ads.

Though it may be obvious to anyone who knows its way around a computer, the best defense from these types of scams is simple: always download software from trusted sources or from the developers themselves.

Permalink to story.

Its not a bug, its a feature. apple fanboys should know that their is no safe computer with a stupid user.

and can anyone remove comment above?

So this is avoided by simply not installing the plugin? That should be simple enough to do.

"prompt users to install a browser plugin, a media player, a video quality enhancement program, or a download accelerator"

So this is super effective against parents and facebook girls...

I had a look on my Windows Firefox and I had Yontoo in my list of extensions but disabled.

How about that...

Back