Newly Built Comp Won't Turn On, But SATA LED is On! Suggestions?

Hey, this is my first build so I've been extra careful to make sure I've done everthing correct however when I went to turn the PSU on, the green LED on my motherboard that recognises the SATA drivers (my optical 1TB Western Digital and a Sony DVD writer)and lights up, yet when I push in the ON button on the outercase NOTHING happens. No fans turn on, nothing.

Everthing I've bought is new and reccommended so Im assuming it's the way I've wired it up, which is very possible because when it came to the PSU wiring I wasn't too confident what I was doing what right.

My motherboard is ASUS M4A89GTD PRO USB3
CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 940
RAM - 2 x 2GB of Corsair DDR3 Memory
The drivers mentioned above.
Cooler Master Sileo 500 case and PSU unit.

The power switch runs through an adapter chip so I took it out and plugged it straight into the motherboard but still nothing happened.

Now it could possibly be the PSU but it's brand new and in the manual it reccommends a 450 watt so I'm covered, plus Im using the built in graphics card, so no extra wattage is needed.

Like I said I wasn't very sure I was wiring everything up right to the PSU. All the wires had things like P4, P14, P6/etc is this significant to what you plug into it? I just clicked in one that fitted into the SATA drives, the PSU fan is a 4 pin but my mobo only has a 3 pin connecter but even so, this can't be the problem because NOTHING will power on.

The ATX power on the PSU is 20+4 Pin which fits perfectly in the motherboard and there is also a 4 or 8 pin on the motherboard, I have alternately tried 4 by itself and 8 with still no luck.

Your help would be really appreciated.

Josh

...the PSU fan is a 4 pin but my mobo only has a 3 pin connecter but even so, this can't be the problem because NOTHING will power on.
Yes it can. If the motherboard senses the CPU fan isn't connected properly, it won't power up. I looked up the motherboard and I believe you have connected the CPU fan to the wrong connector. The CPU fan motherboard connector definitely has 4 pins and is labeled CPU fan on the motherboard. Look for the connector along the top edge of the motherboard.

no I was talking about the PSU fan, don't worry I sorted that out anyway.

So, I experimented and took the mobo out of the case and it works just perfectly, recognises all the optical drives etc.

But everytime I put it back in the case after a certain about of clipping in of things it just wont turn on again (probably because Im pushing down on the mobo and it touches the case and stays touching). I've tried different combinations of stand offs in different places but it's really unreliable.

So i'm relieved it's not a hardware fault, but this is just as annoying. How are I supposed to mount it in a way that doesn't short by touchign the case?

Okay. I thought PSU was a typo, sorry. Evidently, the motherboard is shorting out against the case. When you say you've tried different combinations of standoffs in different places, what do mean exactly? The standoffs should only go where there is a mounting hole in the motherboard.

you could always purchase larger standoffs should they be required just make sure your using the correct ones, screwing them in fully and in to all the holes needed for your motherboard

Make sure there are solder lands circling the mounting hole where you place the standoffs. These are intended to be grounded. I think I remember seeing plastic insulating standoffs in some motherboard or case packages. Can't remember which though, sorry.

Back