Next-gen Atom to feature 8 cores, OOE and Turbo Boost

Rick

Intel's next generation Atom-based SoC is on the way and Xbit Labs provides some of the details. Dubbed Avoton, Intel's upcoming system-on-a-chip will be based on 22nm Silvermont architecture and feature eight cores sharing 4MB of L2 cache (1MB per...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/50544-next-gen-atom-to-feature-8-cores-ooe-and-turbo-boost.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Im confused. low power server=Ferrari with camry engine?
No. Tough to compare with cars, with my limited car knowledge, but the point isn't for the SoC to pose as a Ferrari.

Basically, it would be like comparing a 1st-gen i7 and a 3rd gen i7. Way more power, on a smaller size. So you save power most of all, without sacrificing much, if any, from traditional server setups.

So having a server farm with these new chips would drastically reduce the power consumption. And the more servers you have, the more power you are saving, really.

Per Hansson

Staff member
"eight cores sharing 4MB of L2 cache (1MB per core)"

Someone got a math problem here. I bet it's the regular 4-core HT.
Yea the source (cpu-world) says:
"The CPU part of the Avoton SoC will pack from 2 to 8 Atom cores. Each pair of cores will share 1 MB L2 cache, therefore the 8-core version of the chip will have 4 MB of level 2 cache."

Burty117

I'm actually looking forward to this, the HP MicroServer N40L would benefit a lot from a processor like this :)