Next generation console pre-orders selling out at major retailers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Next generation consoles from Microsoft and Sony will be a hot commodity this holiday season if pre-order status is any indication. Launch day editions of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have long since been sold out at Amazon and the same is now true at a number of major retailers as well.

Just yesterday, GameStop stopped taking pre-orders for the PlayStation 4. The company’s website now shows the release day model as out of stock with the next batch not expected in stock until December 31. Today brings word that Best Buy is now sold out of pre-orders for the Xbox One. Some brick and mortar stores said they would reopen pre-orders if more inventory is added ahead of launch but don’t count on it.

sony microsoft playstation 4 xbox one next generation consoles

The good news for prospective buyers is that there are still launch day consoles available from both Microsoft and Sony if you know where to look and in some instances, are alright with throwing down a bit more cheddar for a system bundle.

sony microsoft playstation 4 xbox one next generation consoles

As of writing, the Xbox One launch day edition is still available at GameStop starting at $499. Pricing jumps up to $559 for bundles that include titles like Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Dead Rising 3, Madden NFL 25 and Forza 5.

Alternately, the PlayStation 4 is still available with a guaranteed release date of November 30 at Best Buy for $399. Naturally, we have no way of knowing how many consoles are left at each retailer so if you are interested in either one, now’s the time to get your pre-order in before they are all spoken for.

Permalink to story.

"Launch day editions of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have long since been sold out at Amazon"

I haven't been looking at Microsoft's offerings on Amazon, but the PS4 was still available in various launch edition bundles until quite recently. The vanilla, console-only launch edition sold out quickly, but there are a number of bundles which were still being sold last week. As noted in the article, those are all gone now, though.

The only true gaming platform is the gaming PC. My GTX 780 has 3 times the power of both so called next gen consoles. The kiddies can have them!

The only true gaming platform is the gaming PC. My GTX 780 has 3 times the power of both so called next gen consoles. The kiddies can have them!
Yeah I love PC gaming also, but I gotta admit, my experience on multi-player online is a bit easier and better quality on the Xbox 360. If the PC could do the games I play as seamlessly, then I would never use anything but the PC. Graphics sure look better on my PC. Multi-player experience overall on Xbox is leaps and bounds ahead though.

Oh no the end of the world must find those consoles at any price. I never will use them but everyone else is getting them so I must have one :/

Gaming =/= power.

Pointing this out to a PC gamer is the equivalent of pointing out to an auto enthusiast the absence of a clutch pedal in a formula car: they're never going to believe you that less can actually be more.

Less water in the container can equate to more air in the container. What were you comparing again?

Less graphical power will only equate to more gaming power, if designed to be so. And this is where you come in and say it is designed to be so. And this is where I agree because PC games are said to be ported from console, not designed for PC gaming. If you want to compare, do so with a game that was designed to be played on both console and PC. Then tell me which has a better architect/gaming experience ratio.

Yeah I love PC gaming also, but I gotta admit, my experience on multi-player online is a bit easier and better quality on the Xbox 360. If the PC could do the games I play as seamlessly, then I would never use anything but the PC. Graphics sure look better on my PC. Multi-player experience overall on Xbox is leaps and bounds ahead though.

Better Quality on Xbox? Easier?! I have to ask, what games have you played on the PC whereby the Multiplayer doesn't have a server list and was of a lesser quality? Generally VOIP on PC is much higher quality and not to mention the higher framerates and the fact most (not all but most) PC gamers have a little more brain, I'll take an example of Battlefield 3, on PC, gamers will use cover, snipers are able to get the most difficult headshots and generally work mostly as a team, on PS3, most players didn't even turn around when shot at from behind! And most people seem to either stop and shoot or move and don't shoot at all, It was weird to say the least, made my score look good though xD. SO please, I would love to know what game it is you've played on Xbox that is also on PC and the Xbox was actually of a better quality experience.

I think you're the minority. forget graphics, the PC is all about multiplayer. from the games and gameplay, to the hardware and software.
better quality, cheaper games, better software and free multiplayer.

Whats the point of consoles anyways , just add ps/xbox controller support for the games that need it on the pc

Whats the point of consoles anyways , just add ps/xbox controller support for the games that need it on the pc
The point of the consoles is that they don't cost $1000 and you will be able to play all new games for years.

I'll try placing a pre order for the XB2 & PS5 now seeing that I missed out on this once in a lifetime, never to be repeated special offer.

Better Quality on Xbox? Easier?! I have to ask, what games have you played on the PC whereby the Multiplayer doesn't have a server list and was of a lesser quality? Generally VOIP on PC is much higher quality and not to mention the higher framerates and the fact most (not all but most) PC gamers have a little more brain, I'll take an example of Battlefield 3, on PC, gamers will use cover, snipers are able to get the most difficult headshots and generally work mostly as a team, on PS3, most players didn't even turn around when shot at from behind! And most people seem to either stop and shoot or move and don't shoot at all, It was weird to say the least, made my score look good though xD. SO please, I would love to know what game it is you've played on Xbox that is also on PC and the Xbox was actually of a better quality experience.
Some people find the server browsers difficult to navigate. The types of people that play consoles have the attention span of a spider monkey so the Call of Duty style of matchmaking on the consoles is preferable to them. I will admit that maybe Halo 2 was better on the xbox though.

This is not really news as it is just an inevitability. They never make enough consoles at the start. It is common practice.

I wonder who here did pre-order, and I also wonder who here with all the M$ trashing about the non backwards compatible, the 24hr call home, and the kinect big brother hal 9000 in your living room, then decided after M$ back pedal, decided M$ could in fact actually have their money.
A little warning, they will have in their fine print of the TOS that they will have full legal power to change the rules and can revert to the initial ideas at any given moment.
Like Sony upgraded firmware, took away backwards compatibilty and the Other o/s feature that for some were a good reason to buy the console.
Obviously with Sony wanting to sell ps1 and 2 classic titles on the PSN network, they had to do this. Although, I am confused with their classics section as there are quite a few games I never and will never play as they sound like the worlds biggest dirtiest nastiest pile of pants. Games that surely hardly made it off the shelves in the first place. The great games of ps2 at least, are still missing. Sadly these companies can do with as they please.

And to MR I have a GTX780... im baffled. Amiga, NES, SNES, MS, Genesis/Megadrive. One thing I know is that graphics mean **** when it comes to an amazing game. Cannonfodder in its original graphics is still a laugh even today. I will admit that nostalgia is not always as you remember. But graphics actually dont mean much in terms of gameplay. Sure its nice when someone has the artistic flare and can put polished graphics into a game, but its the fun that keeps you playing. Sadly I find a lot of cheats in PC gaming.

Some people find the server browsers difficult to navigate. The types of people that play consoles have the attention span of a spider monkey so the Call of Duty style of matchmaking on the consoles is preferable to them. I will admit that maybe Halo 2 was better on the xbox though.

But the ability to browse servers is amazing, you can actually start a little community of friends if you keep going back to the same server as well. But I have to agree Halo 2 was better on Xbox than PC, It just fitted better, I think part of that though is down to the game being specifically designed for consoles. Had it been ported better, It would have been another story. As Cliffordcooley said, It depends on the game being developed properly for the relevant platform.

I've decided to give my gaming PC to my kiddies, then I can get on with next gen consoles when they arrive:) Oh dear the PC master race, oh dear.....

Funny how every next gen console article the so call "PC Gamers" post comments on how must more powerful there there 1500$ gaming PC is to a 400$ console. In the end the games will run on all 3 platforms and your gaming PC becomes a glorified console.

Back