Nielsen: US digital music sales flattening out

Emil

Staff

In the course of the past year, online music sales have started to flatten out, according to Nielsen (via Reuters). Sales and subscriptions at iTunes, Amazon MP3, and other American online stores in the first half of 2010 were roughly similar to the first half of 2009. Compare that to a 13 percent increase the year before, a 28 percent jump in 2008, and it looks like the trend is leveling out.

Researchers aren't sure what's causing the stagnation, but disenchantment with the music on sale, economic difficulties, and confusion over the many sources of where to get it from, are likely to be contributing to the effect. Also, a significant number of desktop listeners are using free streaming services like YouTube as well as mobile phone music services, rather than paying to download tracks or albums.

Still, while stalling US sales are considered unusual, it doesn't mean digital music won't eventually replace CDs. Nielsen pointed to Europe, where digital music sales grew seven percent in the UK, 13 percent in Germany, and 19 percent in France.

Apple still has the largest share of domestic music with 28 percent of all sales, making it mostly responsible for any slowdown. Earlier this month the company launched its Ping social component for iTunes to help its users discover and buy music they otherwise wouldn't.

Permalink to story.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that a decent song in any genre hasn't been released in months. :p

Nope - of course not TomSEA :)

There's been hundreds of good songs released, such as... ummm... well... Ok, just lots of Macbook Pro auto-tone computer generated bubble gum bop top-40 crap. Which all sounds like R2-D2 after eating a bad burrito.

"Nielsen pointed to Europe, where digital music sales grew seven percent in the UK, 13 percent in Germany, and 19 percent in France." - To that; did David Hasselhoff release another CD?!

"Researchers aren't sure what's causing the stagnation..."

Did the researchers go as far as to learn when iTunes/AmazonMP3/Walmart switched to a higher ($1.29/$1.24) price model making the music more expensive? I think it was right there in the second half of 2009. And that times matches when the flattening occurs. Coincidence? If it is, feel free to take my advice and toss it aside, otherwise I'd be happy to collect the fat check and keep doing their research for them.

When will anyone that has anything to do with the economy realise you cant ever have exponential growth in any area, its impossible, they are all morons.

Plus mainstream music is frickin crap at the moment, now more than ever.

wait for it... wait for it.... 'Blu Ra y' Music! Re-buy all your favs but at better quality!

Music has become awful, its not even remotely creative. Put together 3 different sounds, moan a whole bunch, and use more lasers and fireworks than The NBA... bam: modern music. If they actually "sing" any words its auto-tuned to awful high-pitched sounds.

What are you all talking about?

There has been a ton of great music coming out. All of your arguments seem to be indirectly attacking pop and/or hip-hop music. Well, that's their genre, don't judge it just becuase its not your cup of tea. While I agree that pop music is atrocious, it is, indeed, music, and there is going to be people that will like it.

As for the genre itself, tons of good music has been out, such as Janelle Monaé's "The ArchAndroid". Great music. The reason people don't listen to it, well, it's becuase that's not what is supposedly "cool."

The reason sales are down, is well, because people either a) pirate it (Limewire/torrent) or b) Use streaming site such as Grooveshark or YouTube. Or maybe, just maybe, it's because the economy is not that great and people are not willing to spend money on music they can easily obtain from friends.

Back