Nintendo Switch Lite drops September 20 for $100 less than the original

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: The Nintendo Switch Lite is $100 cheaper than the flagship console but lacks a number of features found on the more expensive variant such as TV and tabletop modes. As a handheld-only system, one could argue that it's not really a "Switch" anymore but that's academic at this point.

Nintendo on Wednesday formally introduced a new addition to the Switch family. The Nintendo Switch Lite is described as a compact and lightweight version of the original designed specifically to play Switch games in handheld mode.

The Switch Lite measures 3.6 inches high, 8.2 inches long and .55 inches deep. It boasts a 5.5-inch touchscreen display and weighs approximately .61 pounds. It also features integrated controls, making it a handled-only machine. As such, there is no kickstand or video out option for playing on a television and you don’t get a bundled dock or HDMI cable.

Battery life is rated at approximately three to seven hours depending on the games you play. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, for example, will run for about four hours on a single charge. It can play any of the games in the Switch library that support handheld mode. For games that don’t support handheld mode, you can wirelessly connect compatible controllers to the Switch Lite to play.

Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser said the new system gives gamers more color and price point options. “Now consumers can choose the system that best suits how they like to play their favorite Nintendo Switch games.”

The Nintendo Switch Lite will be available in your choice of yellow, gray or turquoise and launches on September 20 priced at $199.99. Nintendo will also make available a carrying case and a screen protector, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

The Switch Lite measures 3.6 inches high, 8.2 inches long and .55 inches deep. It boasts a 5.5-inch touchscreen display and weighs approximately .61 pounds.

...these measurements mean nothing to me.

$200... That means the standard Switch will not be dropping in price anytime soon. Either that, or it will be replaced for an upgraded model for the same price as the current one.

$200... That means the standard Switch will not be dropping in price anytime soon. Either that, or it will be replaced for an upgraded model for the same price as the current one.

I am leaning toward the later. I don't think that they could get away with charging more for a "Pro" version with the Lite being $200.

The Switch Lite measures 3.6 inches high, 8.2 inches long and .55 inches deep. It boasts a 5.5-inch touchscreen display and weighs approximately .61 pounds.
...these measurements mean nothing to me.
91.44 mm high, 208.28 long, 13.97 mm deep
139.7 mm diagonal length of the screen
276.6913 grams in weight

Or, if you're a bejewelled pirate...

0.000049 nautical miles high, 0.000112 nautical miles long, 0.000008 nautical miles deep
0.000075 nautical miles diagonal length of the screen
1383.457 carats

Hold on a minute, so if there's no detachable joycons does that mean the likes of Mario Party are unplayable?
Correct - SMP for the Switch doesn't support handheld mode, which is one of the critical requirements to run on the Switch Lite.

Honestly, I see the appeal of this and most of the AAA titles can run on handheld mode. I dont agree with removing Rumble from the device but im assuming its because of the construction of the perma joycons.

I think ill pick one up. The games I play dont rely on the IR or Rumble and although id miss plugging it into a dock I think id be ok with it and getting rid of that kickstand is great. It seemed so flimsy to me.

Back