No boot, cpu fan stops, system powers down

locohi

This is the first power up of a Frankenstein system (built from old and new parts). Power on, lights on, fans spool up, about the time loading screen appears on monitor ("press this for bios" "press that for diagnostics" etc.) the cpu fan stops, screen goes black with message "CPU fan failure! The system will power down in a few seconds to save your cpu". And it shuts down before I have a chance to do anything else.

I have disconnected and reconnected everything, didn't help; unplugged keyboard, mouse, audio out, and drives... no luck. Removed #1 RAM stick (per a thread on similar problem), fan now continues running, no shutdown, but nothing appears on screen.

No error beeps at any time.

mobo is used ASUS M2N68-LA with Phenom2 and 6gig RAM
PS is new Gigabyte P650
no OS installed yet

I would check of that motherboard supports that exact CPU and it's stepping that you have there. Next I would check the QVL for that board to see if the RAM you are using matches the part number of tested RAM. If those 2 are in order then the next thing is the basics. That CPU fan is connected to the correct FAN header on the board? It should say CPU FAN

Thanks for the input.

Mobo was purchased used with that CPU and RAM (8gig, not 6) installed. RAM is three Samsung 2gig sticks, M378T5663QZ3, and one Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G. Only one cpu fan connector on board (fan/cooler is Hyper212 from my previous desktop, replacing smaller Asus cooler that was on board). Assume lone Kingston unit because it is lower profile so easier fit under default cpu cooler, with Hyper cooler I can put any RAM in #1 slot.

Tried RAM sticks one at a time; with Kingston installed fans spin normally, nothing ever appears on screen; with any Samsung stick fans spin up, blue HP screen appears, cpu fan stops, screen immediately goes black with fan failure message and system shuts down.

No error beeps because no buzzer ever installed on board, manual shows it, marked area on board for it, but obviously nothing ever soldered there (manual also shows IDE port, also not installed though place on board for it; and my board has a "SPI-Header1" connector which the manual does not mention at all).

Have cleared BIOS (remove battery, move jumper, wait, put jumper back to original pins, replace battery), made no difference.

With the Samsung memory installed your board seems to be passing power on self test (POST) because you briefly see the HP splash logo but then it shuts off citing fan failure. Since this is a motherboard from a mass produced computer it may not support your changed cooler in the sense that it thinks that the cooler fan is not running.

I assume the Hyper 212 is not powered off the fan header on the motherboard? Perhaps you could hook it up there or maybe you could hook up the old fan to the header just so the motherboard senses a working fan?

Hyper212 uses 6" fan similar to PS fan, standard four wire plugged into cpu fan connector on mobo (only other fan connector is designated for system fan, none installed at moment).

Understood...but something is throwing your motherboard off from getting past POST. I thought you could maybe plug the old cooler fan in to coax it to boot?

I can try that (have torn down this blasted system so often could do it blindfolded now). Old cooler/fan is Asus default, about 3inch square heatsink with horribly loud fan on top (4500rpm) and three wire connector.

Thanks for the suggestion.

To use an old expression, "I'll be damned". Had I encountered this with all new components I'd be stomping around like Yosemite Sam, cursing a blue streak. That Hyper212 cooler should be almost universally compatible (I've used them on several systems, both three and four wire fan connectors), but putting the original Asus fan back on the board (it was now on an old Vista system, running at 4500 rpm and drowning out the TV) worked. The Asus fan is three wire, the Hyper is four wire (the Asus mobo cpu fan connector is three wire); swapping them back has the Asus fan running slower and that mobo now boots up ...why it wouldn't with the Hyper is beyond me. Oddly I still get messages about cpu fan failure but no notices of impending shutdown, and have perused BIOS, set time, etc. with no problems.

Not overly happy with this board, it's from an HP/Compaq system ...office equipment in my opinion, not from a "gaming rig" as advertised.

Now I face a conundrum,

- most of the games I will install are 32 bit, and most are not multicore aware so will essentially be running on a single core

- I read many 32 bit programs actually run slower on 64 bit systems due to interjection of Wow64

I have the hardware to build one of two systems (power supply, vid card, and SSD will be the same for either)

- 32bit windows with Athlon 64x2 6000+ (3gig dual core) and 2 gig RAM

or

- 64bit windows with Phenom 9650 (2.3gig quad core) and 6 or 8gig RAM

from a performance standpoint which would be more suited to my needs?

(Of course I've yet to actually install windoze on this 64bit system, but any more issues and I'll dump it and start over.)

Thanks for posting an update! I'm glad the fan swap got you to at least a boot screen. When I want to know what the performance of a CPU I just Google it and click on CPUbenchmark's website. Yours are here:

and here:

I think the 32bit system with 2gigs of ram is going to be the weak link here. Go with the 64bit for sure for the more RAM. The Phenom will be a fine running old games. The slightly higher single core performance of the Athlon just doesn't beat out the extra 2 cores and 2 extra threads of the Phenom, and the extra RAM.

I've read I can replace the Phenom with an Athlon II X4 650 (3gig quad core), both 95W so no issues with power supply or mobo capability (would heat be an issue, already seen what happens with the Hyper cooler on this board), and would have equivalent single core performance (unless other parameters, of which I'm not aware, would negate this). These are plentiful on ebay for around $20, so even within my pitiful budget. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade.

Everything I could find said both chips have same temp range, 71(C) max, try to stay below 60(C); but nothing about whether one normally ran hotter than the other. Performance for the Athlon was noticeably better than the Phenom. I assume (and we know what assume means) that the 3gig cpu would actually run cooler because, all else being equal, it would be stressed less.

FWIW, given the results of trying each RAM stick individually I assumed the Kingston stick was bad, but having just powered up the system with everything but the SSD connected all seems well, BIOS detects all RAM, all fans running ...looks like time to install windoze and hope for the best.

I usually get my temp info right from AMD for their CPUs. If you are forced to run a smaller CPU cooler that came with this HP motherboard and you can use the Hyper 212 I would think everything is going to run hotter than you want. I recommend HWinfo from CPUid to monitor temps. In fact you can run that, then run your game and see how many cores were at 100%. Temps will be real time and show you max temps. If you want stress out a CPU quickly just use something like Prime95 and run that in a window and run HWinfo on the 2nd window to monitor in real time. I use Memtest to test RAM. Have fun!

Five months later I return, lol; health issues, mine and computers', made for an onerous summer (vid card in laptop dieing, not worth replacing; resurrected old Vista system, spent weeks trying to get java program working, finally had to upgrade install Win7 on it).

Now back to ASUS board and fan issue. Found a ten year old thread with same issue of Hyper212 on those boards, person had even gotten replacement board, which didn't help. But one response provided a clue - BIOS expects a certain minimum rpm from the default 3" fan, 6" Hyper fan runs much slower (850 rpm), so once BIOS loads with Hyper212 cooler it throws a cpu fan failure; this was last post in thread so no idea if this was the issue, much less how, or even if, I could adjust this.

Some OEM BIOS' don't offer many options like 'CPU fan Failure' > <off>
You might be stuck with the fan failure warning at boot if you want to use the Hyper 212 as a cooler.

Problem is, BIOS shuts down the system as soon as the failure notice appears. I have a manual for the ASUS M2N68-LA but it has nothing about BIOS options, plus my mobo is an OEM from an HP Pavilion; and I find nothing about BIOS options online, so will have to fire it up again (transfer PS and vid card from other desktop back to it, lol; have swapped cpu coolers back to their default systems for now).

What info I find online regarding this mobo is so conflicting that I feel this is just a "try and see" project. "Board will not take mroe than 4gig RAM", yet BIOS recognizes the 8gig on mine; "board will not install x64 windows" ...then why is there 8gig RAM?; "cannot use SSD", board has four SATA ports, so don't see why not; one thread says AHCI not available, another says it's a BIOS option, many sites say don't use SSD without AHCI. (Apparently on some systems Vista 32 was the default OS, with only 2gig RAM.)

My goal is Win7 Pro x64 on a Crucial 500gig SSD with Athlon II 640 (quad 3.0 gig; couldn't find a 650 from a reliable source) replacing the Phenom II ....still an antique system, but better than anything else I have (fwiw, medical bills and no insurance preclude me just building something new).

Back