No ide detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_need_answers

ok i know there is a harddive in my computer but when it boots up and i go into bios. i try to detect it but it's not there. it detects the cd burner when its hooked up to the same place as the harddrive was , with th same cord also, it will detect cd burners and stuff but not harddrives. i've also tried differnt harddrives. also when i let it boot up it says no boot record on ide , cd , or floppy even though a mandrake 10.1 install cd is in the cd drive.
do i have to do something to make it detect the mandrake cd. it's searching for the boot record so maybe it doesn't want to see mandrake. but any help would be usefull.
Thanks.

Your IDE controller may be going bad. That is if you have actually set the jumpers on the hard drive correctly, honour the plug order for 80-wire cable and have set the computer to actually try to boot from the CD or floppy.

You should try with another bootable CD too in case the one you have is bad.

As was already said sit computer to boot from cdrom first this is done in the BIOS.. Also try updating your motherboard chipset drivers this may also help.

thanks

thanks btw if my ide controller is going bad then how can i replace it without having to add a raid card. and add another harddrive.

i_need_answers said:
thanks btw if my ide controller is going bad then how can i replace it without having to add a raid card. and add another harddrive.

Probbly cheaper in the long run to buy a new MOBO.

You cannot replace a part of the motherboard. You can only disable the onboard device and put in a new controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back