No internet connection

terade

Hi
Windows does not load the internet at startup on Win 10 - says cable unplugged or missing. After disabling/re-enabling internet acquired.

terade

Nearly all computers have a wireless adapter to connect to the internet. If not, an ethernet cable connected to the router will get you online. Type “device manager” in the search box by the Windows icon in the bottom left of the screen. See if you can find a wireless adapter listed under Network adapters. Right click on it, find Properties and then investigate if it's working properly.

No, a TAP adapter is something to do with VPN software that hides your IP address eg ExpressVPN or Cyberghost. If you haven't a wireless adapter they are very cheap to buy on ebay or Amazon. It's a dongle that plugs into a spare usb socket.

Last edited:
No, it'll include the word "Wireless." What is the computer make and model? If it's a laptop there will be a wireless card inside but sometimes with a desktop it is an extra and a usb wireless adapter is the easiest solution. Did the computer previously connect to the internet wirelessly ?

There's no wireless adapter but I recommend that you get one. You can reach your ethernet adapters by going from Control Panel to Network and Internet to Network and Sharing Centre. Next View network status and Tasks. You'll see Change adapter settings. From there see what you can do by right and left clicking with the mouse. If you get a usb wireless adapter it'll show up in there too. I'm wondering whether you are running Windows 10 on a recent PC. If not maybe it's time to think about upgrading to a more recent model. Everything has moved forward rapidly in the last few years. Wireless connection will make life a lot simpler for you. Windows 10 will detect the wireless adapter and connection to the router will be very easy

Windows does not load the internet at startup on Win 10 - says cable unplugged or missing.
Where do you see a warning telling you a cable is unplugged or missing? What makes you think the internet "didn't load"?

You do NOT need a new system NOR a wireless adaptor. 😡
your last post confirms that opinion. The issue is obviously a timing issue in the network startup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Life usually is (sorry couldn't help myself). But seriously I'd appreciate your help as I have everyone else who has chipped in

What do you suggest to solve the problem, jo
start the Ethernet via a user login instead of at the system level. This will give the system time to get fully started and await a user login before attempting to access the Ethernet Ataptor.

When my Windows PC died, I refused to replace it with more M$ junk like Win/10 so I'm happily on OS X 10.13. This means someone willing to help you with that change on Win/10 will need to guide you; truly sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
My ancient XP desktop shows crossed out network icons in the taskbar and when followed up it says cable not connected for different adapters. The computer still connects to the internet though. If that's what you are seeing and it works maybe it's not worth bothering. A wireless adapter will cost you practically nothing in time or money so I'm unrepentant for suggesting you try it.

Buying D-link wireless adapter which I will use if all else fails as a backup.Will investigate the "delayed startup" and how to start the Ethernet via user login.

A wireless adapter will cost you practically nothing in time or money so I'm unrepentant for suggesting you try it.
IMO replacement or purchasing alternative hardware as a means to solve a problem is the absolute LAST choice in problem solving.

Will investigate the "delayed startup"
Found my Win/7 service list:
  • save file to disk
  • then remove the .TXT suffix
  • now you can open with any EXCEL capable program
Column D (startup type) shows which services were Delayed
Be sure to see list begining at Adaptive Brightness
Don't sweat Manual setting, as anything that needs it will be started anyway.

Win/10 will add some names not shown or show some differently, but this will serve as a guide

Attachments

• Services_List.csv.txt
    33.9 KB · Views: 3
Buying D-link wireless adapter which I will use if all else fails as a backup.Will investigate the "delayed startup" and how to start the Ethernet via user login.
This should get it going.
Method 1: Run the Network troubleshooter. To diagnose your network configuration, perform the steps below:
1. Open Start menu, then click Settings.
2. Click Network & Internet.
3. On the left pane, click Status.
4. Click Network troubleshooter to diagnose and fix network problems.

Method 2: Perform an Internet connection reset via Command Prompt. To reset your Internet connection follow the steps:
1. Press Windows + R to open run window.
2. Type cmd, then press Enter.
3. Type the following commands, then press Enter after typing each commands below:
netsh int ip reset resettcpip.txt
netsh winhttp reset proxy
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset

Restart the PC to complete the process.
Restart the Wifi router.

Looks to be a well prepared guide Crinkles. If changing settings goes pear shaped things can go from bad to worse. Hopefully it'll work for the poster. The only issues I've had with wireless connection relate to printers and hard wiring is my first choice there.

Back