No internet unless I am in safe mode

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. I recently ran a scan for virus and had 107 threats, not virus. The threats were cleaned up and I did a backup. Did a restart and now cannot access the internet unless I'm in safe mode. I had a problem with my ISTAPA 6 adapter and the Consumer IR Device. I was able to fix that and they are now up to date. I uninstalled all of the windows updates from November 12th and the 19th. I have a fully functioning NIC. I ran a clean boot and that did not make a difference. What do I need to do to be able to access the internet when in a regular start mode?

Thank you.

Difficult to guess your problem, but on the face of it, your 'threats were cleaned up' process also did away with files vital to network operation.
Try opening Control Panel and run 'Network and sharing center'. One of the options in there is 'trouble-shoot'. It probably wont fix anything, but might give you clues where the problem lies.
A PING test can help identify a hardware rather than a software problem http://www.ehow.com/how_8376132_ping-isp.htm but your symptom of being able to connect in safe mode is likely to mean you have destroyed your network adapter driver or settings. The default Windows provides still seems to work, meaning it's probably not a hardware or ISP fault

It might just be quicker to scan your pc with a program such as 'Drivereasy' which will tell you (in red at the top of the list it will produce) which drivers are missing.
I've used ths over many years and it is very reliable and accurate.
(Note that the free version is very slow to download the drivers but you can note the ones down you need and them downlaod them from your pc's maker site or Intel etc.)

Thank you for the responses. I was able to connect with Eset, my anti-virus provider, and it was a problem of an update from version 6 to version 8 coinciding with a major Microsoft Windows 7 Home update. The tech removed the Eset, did a reinstall, and all is well now. I was hesitant to touch the Eset software for fear of violating any justifiable tech support from them.

Back