No Man's Sky developer inundated with death threats over game's delay

midian182

Staff member

Video games invoke more passion in their fans than in any other medium. While this shows the love people have for gaming, there are those who move beyond mere fandom and into the realms of dangerous obsession.

The ugly side of some video game ‘fans’ appeared once again last week, after it was announced that upcoming space adventure No Man’s Sky had been delayed. The developer said this was because there were "some key moments [that] needed extra polish."

It was Kotaku’s Jason Schreier who first reported that the game’s original release date of June 21 had been moved to August 9. Once the news was officially confirmed, some people actually blamed the reporter for causing the delay by “forcing Sony’s hand.” Schreier, who quoted GameStop as a source, received at least one death threat for his article.

But it was No Man’s Sky’s developer, Hello Games, that became the main target of these hateful attacks. Sean Murray, head of the UK-based company, tweeted that he had “received loads of death threats this week,” and jokingly added that he’d turned Hello Games into the house from Home Alone.

"Tell me when its safe to remove the marbles and oil from the stairs," Murray said. "It's getting really cumbersome, and I need the toilet."

While Murray's laudable response to the threats shows he’s not going to let them affect him or the Hello Games team, the entire incident has been both unbelievable and embarrassing.

The fact that people are threatening to end lives because of a video game is reprehensible. But sadly, as anyone who remembers when Treyarch design director David Vonderhaar received death threats after the guns in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 were tweaked, this sort of thing isn’t totally without precedent. What makes this case particularly unusual, however, is that the reaction comes from fans of an entirely new IP that no one has even played.

Other websites have been hit with negative comments, too. While not straying into the realm of death threats, some people have been extremely critical of publications that are “too forgiving” when reporting on games being delayed.

It’s true that many titles don’t arrive on their original release dates theses days, but there are genuine reasons for this. Developers don’t enjoy disappointing fans, but they want that final product to be of the highest possible quality.

Often it's better to delay a game, sometimes more than once, to add a bit of extra polish - as was the case with The Witcher 3. While it’s true that a postponement doesn't automatically mean a game will ship without problems - Assassin's Creed: Unity can testify to this - at least it gives devs more time to work on areas that could be improved.

Ultimately, waiting seven extra weeks to play a game isn’t grounds for sending death threats. It’s barely a good reason to get angry; annoyed and a bit upset, perhaps, but if you find yourself frothing at the mouth with rage because of those extra 49 days, maybe it’s time to reassess your priorities.

Permalink to story.

*Sigh* I just wish that someone could make an example of these kids and man-babies. Always hear about the threats, but seldom hear about the repercussions of anonymously threatening someone...

Would I be annoyed? Yes. Would I make death threads (No pun intended)? No.

It's actually almost like common grounds for developers nowadays, I'm not sure why all the fuzz.

Well, I did **** up that previous sentence, but the message still stands.

Also, how about an edit option for comments?
There is... in forum mode.
*Sigh* I just wish that someone could make an example of these kids and man-babies. Always hear about the threats, but seldom hear about the repercussions of anonymously threatening someone...

There is also this really odd and new feature called "ENTER", it's a key in your keyboard that let's you -even if you don't believe me- separate text in lines to better organize and display -omg sooo hot- your ideas in text without having to make two posts -who was the genius seriously??-.

Oh no. Did they realised that this game is a walking simulator meets SSSSSPAAAAAAAAAACCEEE!!!!
Well, I did **** up that previous sentence, but the message still stands.

Also, how about an edit option for comments?
And since you didn't get it right the first time, let's fudge some more space in the internet!! Yaaaay.

This is why pre-ordering is bad, esp. if you're a psychopath.
Mild delays are what's wrong with pre-ordering? And here I was thinking that the problem with pre-ordering was paying a premium to be a beta tester. Purchasing a product without any real knowledge of what you're buying with extremely high potential of another Arkham Knight or Assassins Creed Syndicate with the snake oil salesman publishers gaining financial reward for their shady efforts while you get to shut up and eat ****.
Maybe I'm still a little stuck in the past though.

Definitely way over the top for a video game delay. (Which happens more often than not it seems.)

BTW, Happy Memorial Day everyone. And thank you to all who have served and are currently serving.

Death threats for this short delay? One can only wonder what the folks with GTA-5 got or should have received after their delay for the PC version!?!?!?!!!!!

There is also this really odd and new feature called "ENTER", it's a key in your keyboard that let's you -even if you don't believe me- separate text in lines to better organize and display -omg sooo hot- your ideas in text without having to make two posts -who was the genius seriously??-.
There is also this thing called I didn't want it to be the same post! Glad you could let me know about this "ENTER" key where the only thing pointing it out does for you is make you look just as bad as these kids (y)

PS. quoting so many posts in 1 post just looks bad and you should feel bad :p

There is also this thing called I didn't want it to be the same post! Glad you could let me know about this "ENTER" key where the only thing pointing it out does for you is make you look just as bad as these kids (y)

PS. quoting so many posts in 1 post just looks bad and you should feel bad :p
Multi-quoting and keeping your responses in one place is more efficient than having your posts separated by other responses and getting lost. It looks perfectly fine and makes much more sense than posting multiple times in a row.

Really? That's terrible.

Honestly, delays are fine. I'd rather play a game a bit later and it be stable and polished, than to play it early and it be a buggy mess.

Multi-quoting and keeping your responses in one place is more efficient than having your posts separated by other responses and getting lost. It looks perfectly fine and makes much more sense than posting multiple times in a row.
Not when you're talking about several different things. If it all was 1 topic, then sure I would also lump it into 1 post. But 2 totally different topics (like above) deserve a different reply each.

Yeah, the funny thing is those are the typical internet trolls, they have all this rage inside they don't know how to "emote" on the real world.

Not when you're talking about several different things. If it all was 1 topic, then sure I would also lump it into 1 post. But 2 totally different topics (like above) deserve a different reply each.
If you try to talk about multiple topics in ONE THREAD, you are going to have a bad time making it even more difficult to read by not threading your ideas in a single post. Your mental process is abnormal and you should feel bad.

It's delayed?

Well ****, there goes my hope for an alternative space sim to the woefully lacking and scummy business model of Elite: Dangerous.

Was only another week too.. *sigh*

If you try to talk about multiple topics in ONE THREAD, you are going to have a bad time making it even more difficult to read by not threading your ideas in a single post. Your mental process is abnormal and you should feel bad.
Why didn't you just quote the whole conversation while you were at it too? Wouldn't that make it easier to read? Or maybe I should've just quoted your whole post just now instead of just the part where you responded?
Heck, I'm still amused that you had nothing better to do than to point out that I posted *gasp* twice to tackle 2 different things...

Honestly, delays are fine. I'd rather play a game a bit later and it be stable and polished, than to play it early and it be a buggy mess.
Yeah, these guys got a bit more respect from me knowing that they pushed back the game to polish it. I wish some other big companies would still do this...

This is why pre-ordering is bad, esp. if you're a psychopath.
Mild delays are what's wrong with pre-ordering? And here I was thinking that the problem with pre-ordering was paying a premium to be a beta tester. Purchasing a product without any real knowledge of what you're buying with extremely high potential of another Arkham Knight or Assassins Creed Syndicate with the snake oil salesman publishers gaining financial reward for their shady efforts while you get to shut up and eat ****.
Maybe I'm still a little stuck in the past though.

My rule of pre-ordering is simple...Never pre-order.
If it's EA, forget the game exists.

Why didn't you just quote the whole conversation while you were at it too? Wouldn't that make it easier to read? Or maybe I should've just quoted your whole post just now instead of just the part where you responded?
Heck, I'm still amused that you had nothing better to do than to point out that I posted *gasp* twice to tackle 2 different things...
Yeah, these guys got a bit more respect from me knowing that they pushed back the game to polish it. I wish some other big companies would still do this...

Heck, I'm still amused you had to make two posts to say nothing at all...

Ultimately, waiting seven extra weeks to play a game isn’t grounds for sending death threats. It’s barely a good reason to get angry; annoyed and a bit upset, perhaps, but if you find yourself frothing at the mouth with rage because of those extra 49 days, maybe it’s time to reassess your priorities.
Oh I don't know, some of these deaths threats might be warranted over at "Kickstarter". Like the crowdfunded games that suddenly cease development. Then there was the guy who built himself a house with, "investor's money", instead of delivering the "$100.00 3D printer" which was promised

...[ ].....If you try to talk about multiple topics in ONE THREAD, you are going to have a bad time making it even more difficult to read by not threading your ideas in a single post. Your mental process is abnormal and you should feel bad.
Now you should know, destroying a fellow Techspotter's best attempts to join in and contribute to the conversation is just plain rude, and inconsiderate of another's feelings. But most of all it doesn't move the topic forward. (I couldn't help but notice you're always lecturing me about that).

You're going to lash out at me now, aren't you...? :p:D:cool:

Back