No Man's Sky Path Finder update adds ground vehicle, but still no multiplayer

midian182

Staff member

After becoming one of the most controversial game releases of all time last year, the furor over No Man’s Sky finally seems to have abated. Now, in its first news post since December, Hello Games has announced some new content for the game: The Path Finder update.

Set to arrive sometime this week, the only thing we know for certain about Path Finder is it will introduce a new vehicle to the game (no images of it yet) that will “aid home planet exploration,” so expect it to be some form of land buggy, perhaps one similar to Mass Effect’s M35 Mako.

The company didn’t reveal what else Path Finder will add. The full patch notes will arrive whenever the update is released.

"Shortly after we launched the Foundation Update, we released a number of patches to address issues reported by players before beginning work on the Path Finder update. We were surprised and excited by the response to Foundation, and we have been listening carefully to community feedback since then," writes Hello Games. "To those of you who have spent time sharing feedback, whether positive or negative, we are listening."

There’s no mention on the firm’s website about last week’s surprise Game Developers Choice Awards incident. Hello Games won the award for innovation at this year’s ceremony, but the team didn’t expect the accolade, and as such were eating dinner when it was announced. It was left to host Tim Schafer to accept the prize on their behalf.

While Path Finder will introduce more than just a buggy, the vehicle does seem to be the update’s most notable addition to the game. Whether it draws back lapsed players remains to be seen, but it certainly won’t have the same effect as, say, introducing a true multiplayer mode.

Permalink to story.

"...the furor over No Man’s Sky finally seems to have abated."

That's because no one's playing it. ;)

The horse has long since been beaten to death.

But I really enjoy the game and look forward to this and further updates.

Are they still trying to make this game relevant? It was a scam back than and it still is now, whoever buys it is either totally uninformed or a fool.

Tbh I really enjoyed this game. I had a total blast playing it, and clocked in 62 hours. I had 29 hours prior to the foundation update, and 33 hours afterwards. Of course, total playtime means very little, but I'm just trying to show how much I actually enjoyed the game and how much I look forward to the update.

I'm playing through this right now on my PS4 (logged about 6-7 hours in the past 3 days). The second big update just installed and I plan on playing that. I also put in about an hour on the PC when it first came out.

It's a good game when you get over all the BS promises and lies. It's a solid indie with a unique premise. It's fun to play (at least at this point). The game has also greatly improved since I played it at launch. It will never be much more than it was but the patches have greatly improved enjoyability.

This is mostly a case of a good game that had too much hype and the developers had too much hubris. If you can find it on sale for around 20$ then it's something worth checking out.

Haven't played the game but, is it really the worst game ever?
Worst? No, there are worse games out there.

One of the most boring, repetitive, and a huge letdown? Absolutely. This game is great for inducing sleep. It's just another crafting survival thing, with low rez textures and recycled RNG creatures and terrain. It's still sold with pictures and video showing content that is not found in the game anywhere, things like space combat are still dreadful, and IMO, the founders update made it worse by limiting different devices to needing specific materials to recharge, while not giving you any additional space to carry stuff.

For $5, it isnt bad. For $60, it puts Molyneux to shame.

Back