No response from Win7 install DVD

Odyssey

New build:
--------------
CPU: AMD Quad core Phenom II X4920
mobo: MSI 785GTM-E45
HDD: Seagate SATA 1T ST310000520AS

BIOS is set to boot first from SATA DVD reader/writer.

Computer powers up perfectly, shows splash screen, goes into BIOS control with depress of <del> key, etc

However, the installation routine will not start from either of my 64 bit Windows 7 install DVD's. Install routine will start from any 32 bit (Linux, windoze, etc) OS install CD, just not a 64 bit windows install DVD.

Furthermore, I have tried another SATA DVD, as well as a pata DVD reader/writer. Still no cigar

When I attempt to boot into the installation, the spash screen comes up, then goes, and there is a little "hyphen" cursor blinking (ad-infinitum) at the left edge of the screen. Nothing further.

I have used the same install DVD to install Win 7 on another (Intel in this case) new computer once before. It worked perfectly, the DVD has been in its sleeve ever since, and there is almost no possibility that it is damaged.

I am sure that the Phenom II is a 64 bit processor. What is going on here? Do I need to set some system jumper or what?

TIA

Hello?

BTW, this computer is for a non profit and the DVD's were provided under the MS non-profit support program. I also have a pair of XP Pro CD's, one 64 bit, the other 32 (also from the non-profit support program). All have been used to install other computers. None will boot in this system.

I do have a normal XP Pro 32 bit SP3 CD and it will boot, as will all of my recovery disks, linux disks, etc.

I am baffled. There must be some explanation other than the disks being bad. They aren't. It's just that this system will not read them from any of two SATA and one PATA drives. Any theories?

The HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 1TB Low Power Hard Drive

The CD/DVD is a Lite-On Internal 24X DVD Writer

Also, I have now installed XP Pro (32bit)

"My Computer" sees the DVD drive and when I right click and press Open, it shows lists the folders and files. But when I click on setup, it gives the error message:

D:\Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

So the DVD drive definitely works, at least to the extent of showing files and folders and installing "normal" 32 bit XP Pro O/S..

Given that the DVD drive does work and XP has been installed on the HDD, which now boots perfectly, I do not think that it is a cable issue.

The PSU is only 400W, so it might be a bit thin for a quad core, but given that it has supported the install of XP Pro 32 bit and boots properly, I don't think this is what is stopping the 64 bit install.

I think it either has to be a mobo jumper issue, a BIOS issue, or a driver issue preventing the 64 bit DVD from booting/installing. This doesn't explain it's inability to install any of the non-profit O/S's including 32 bit CD's .

What now?

Missed your last, and not sure which drive you are enquiring about, but the hdd is aST31000520AS Barracuda LP, 5900 rpm, 32 MB, SATA-3G. SKU is TSD-1000AS4 SY.

If it is the DVD, will need to pull it out of the computer to get the specifics, but no problem if this is what you are asking about.

But when I click on setup, it gives the error message:

D:\Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
It isn't supposed to be Windows application. If you are clicking on that file while in Windows, it won't work. You aren't supposed to start a Windows installation from within Windows.

That said, instead of selecting the first boot device through the BIOS, try going through the Boot Menu instead. The Boot Menu should show the specific optical drive you want to use and then you can select it. Going through the BIOS should work but obviously there is some problem somewhere. Give the Boot Menu a try.

@Odyssey
Do you have a usb pendrive?
If so, make it bootable and copy your files from the Win 7dvd to it.
Boot from the usb and see if the Win 7 setup works.

How does one make a USB drive bootable?
Once done, just copy everything on the DVD to the USB drive?
Thanks.

GP, Thanks for yours.

Since posting originally, I have spent many hours on this trying various alternatives. Have now decided that I have spent enough of my and your valuable time on this.

The use of the computer will not be greatly compromised by running XP, so I am just going to install XP Pro and leave it at that. We can't win them all and there are other things that must be done.

Many thanks for all the good suggestions and guidance.

I have now ordered an upgrade to Win 7 disk, so this may not be over yet.

In the meantime, I will start a new post shortly dealing with this computer's refusal to see the lan or the internet unless I can crack it before I get it written up.

Back