No signal to monitor

I got a computer that was wiped clean, I know everything worked before I got it, now I am trying to install the os and can't get signal to the monitor??? Please help!!

First thing I would do, is (if you have not had this pc on and working before) check which video output socket that your monitor is plugged into.
Is the pc using integrated graphics, or does it have a separate graphics card?
Be sure you have monitor attached to the correct socket, i.e. for integrated graphics you use the motherboard blue VGA socket.
It's possible if there was a previous owner, they used a different setup to what you expect.

The monitor does work on my old computer. It did work before I got it, it use to be my moms work computer. There is 2 different blue monitor sockets...I tried the one which I would think goes in the motherboard and nothing happened then I tried it in the one towards the bottom of the tower and then the monitor comes on but says "no signal"

In this sense I am computer stupid so I am not sure what you are asking..ok when my Ethernet port burned out in my old computer and had to put a new one in they used a slot in the bottom part of the tower and this is where the one is that shows no signal is..and the original one doesn't even let the monitor power on..it shuts off immediately. (I hope this helps with what I am trying to figure out?)

Ok, it sounds like there might be a problem with your aftermarket card (meaning the card is not built onto the motherboard but is a separate piece that is slotted into it). What I recommend you try is to remove the card that says 'No signal' and then see whether the computer will start up on the other graphics socket.

The socket you should be trying is the blue socket that has 15 pins, and it's near to the keyboard, mouse and several USB sockets.
See photo. Note there is another similar blue socket lower down, that's the 'AGP' or 'PCI' graphic card.
It's fairly common for the PC to make the lower one active, if a graphic card is fitted there. If there is no card in the lower position, the upper one will be used, known as 'on-board' or 'integrated graphics'.
You may need to make a change to the BIOS settings also.
Try the other socket for your monitor lead first though.

Attachments

• vga_outputs.jpg
    vga_outputs.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 1
Back