No sound after a win xp format and full re-install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi it seems a common thing as ive seen lots other similar quedtions about losing your sound and drivers after a format. But have not yet seen an easy answer to getting the sound back - i have trawled the sites for realtek drivers win xp sound drivers etc. etc. downloaded and installed a few and got absolutely nowhere ? so i ask is there anyone out there in the big world of computers and tech sites/forums who can answer this question in an easy to carry out way : Help i have no sound on my com why not ? and how do i get the sound back ?

You need to start with some specs. Download from here and run it
- Click Reports->Report Wizard
- Get a Custom Report report in plain text
- Check these items to report on
==> Computer
==> Motherboard
==> Multimedia

Generate another report by
click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
Notice progress in lower left window corner
When done, click Save Information button

In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Advanced Reply)

this needs to be in the audio forum.

OP is looking for a driver for their sound card. I don't follow.

Drivers
TechSpot Device Drivers

Keep your system up-to-date and out of trouble, from videocards to printers and motherboard BIOS updates, this is a service you shouldn't be missing. For further assistance we recommend you to visit the TechSpot Forums, a usual stop for many TS readers. You can get driver help by posting in our board dedicated to that topic.

Lose all drivers when you format

Always do a backup of your drivers before formating drive.
It saves alot of time and trouble if your system doesn't install them back when you reload your OS. Keep your board driver CD in a safe place if you have one for future problems. Do all of the updates like SP3 and the extras if WIndows XP or if Vista SP1 plus the extras.
Sometimes with windows XP you install it and drivers do not load that ordinarily install.
SO you go thru the whole process of adding hardware and searching out what has not been loaded yet by windows. When you findly get to the end of it presto it installs. It aggrevates you when windows doesn't do what it normally should do.

JNGGOSS Thanks yeah youre dead right m8 i will NEVER format a drive again without making a full backup of the drivers. A lesson to be learnt by all who may read this. Thanks to all of you whom did offer advice.

Download drivermax

Drivermax is a free driver software that you can use to restore your lost drivers.
It isn't the best one to use but it is free and it will get the job done.
Hopefully you have still got your modem or ethernet drives working so you can get online. If not just find a PCI card that windows will automatically load and then you can go online to get drivermax. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back