No sound... despite what Windows, dxdiag, and hardware test shows

Okay....here goes......I have no sound on a system I've built. It has a biostar mobo with an onboard Realtek '97 for VIA Audio Controller. The OS is Windows XP SP3 with everything updated. I have installed all the proper drivers, directly from either Biostar or Realtek. Whether I use simple headphones or simple stereo (amplified) computer speakers, I have no sound. The Windows hardware test (the one where you read into the microphone and it shows both the record and playback levels shows great level in each, but I have no sound, despite what Windows says.

I've installed all Chipset drivers as well, directly from Biostar.

I've run a dxdiag and this is the error code it is showing - "DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

dxdiag also noted that the the ALCXWDM.SYS is not digitally signed by WHQL (the Windows Hardware Quality Lab), but I have never had that be an issue. Many drivers are not signed.

Anybody have any idea? I've built dozens of systems over the years, repaired many more, and I have never dealt with this.

Based on all you say, my best guess is it's a hardware issue as all the drivers/software/Windows seems to think everything is fine. (maybe the audio jacks are broken or not connecting to mobo? idk... just guesses)
I've run a dxdiag and this is the error code it is showing - "DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
That result happens when you ran the DirectSound test and you told Dxdiag you couldn't hear anything (i.e. user verification is what failed)

dxdiag also noted that the the ALCXWDM.SYS is not digitally signed by WHQL (the Windows Hardware Quality Lab), but I have never had that be an issue. Many drivers are not signed.
Agree, that's not the issue
The Windows hardware test (the one where you read into the microphone and it shows both the record and playback levels shows great level in each, but I have no sound, despite what Windows says.
As far as windows is concerned, it thinks your sound is fine (again, makes me think is purely hardware is my guess)

/* EDIT */
One other thought (tho don't know if applies) but under Ctl Panel->Sound, i think under Audio tab(?), check that the default playback device is set correctly (in case it lists more then one playback device)

Not the jack....

Actually installed a PCI sound card thinking the same thing, that maybe it was the jack or something silly like that, but the PCI sound card doesn't produce sound either.

Back