No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurles

I'm using vista.

I have 2 headsets, one uses the jacks and one is usb.

I plug the USB headset in and i see it in the device manager.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/crimsonflames/Untitled-2.jpg

but nothing is in the sound window

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/crimsonflames/ddsa-1.jpg

so i cant hear any sound and get this message when opening windows media player

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/crimsonflames/ddasdddasdd.jpg

I reinstalled audio driver from mobo CD and unistalled / replugged in usb headset.

seriously what the **** is wrong.

even when i put my old speakers in, it does not recognize them in the sound window, and they work... 100%

so does the jack headset, that also works, it was working an hour ago. But now the sound wont display it when its plugged back in.

Seriously.. wtf i feel like killing someone, can anyone help.

First off I would take a sedative before that some one dies, then I would go under Sound and Audio Devices in the control panel. Under the Audio tab, try Default Device under Sound playback. Change this to the headphones, or go into Advanced and change it to headphones. If not that maybe the headphones need to be plugged in before the computer has been started up, and last thing I can think of ATM is checking all the audio settings when the headset is plugged in, make sure the volume is up and check any other options to make sure they are correct.

Whiffen said:
First off I would take a sedative before that some one dies, then I would go under Sound and Audio Devices in the control panel. Under the Audio tab, try Default Device under Sound playback. Change this to the headphones, or go into Advanced and change it to headphones. If not that maybe the headphones need to be plugged in before the computer has been started up, and last thing I can think of ATM is checking all the audio settings when the headset is plugged in, make sure the volume is up and check any other options to make sure they are correct.
i'm using windows vista , there is no sound and audio device screen, that sound screen with nothing listen is my version of it , and i can't set default or change to headphones because no matter what i do nothing is displayed there.

You don't have a sound driver working thus no sound.

Unplug BOTH headsets, hook the speakers to the Green rear outlet, and Re-install the chipset drivers and then the sound driver.

I believe Vista has a setting like Windows Audio that must also be enabled.

is it possible you could find a link to the things i have to install.

i've looked myself and installed certain things and nothing helped

Download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop.

Click on the + sign beside 'Computer', then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY Top of the screen and click on 'report'.

Note: the 'Very Top' isn't one line down, it means what it says.

Cursor over 'quick report-summary' and then click on 'plain text' and then click on 'save to file' and change the 'save in' folder to 'Desktop' and then click 'Save'.

Clear all your open windows and on the Desktop click on that 'report.txt' icon - this will open it in a text editor
(probably Notepad) and then use your mouse to highlight ALL the 'debug' entries and delete them, then use your mouse to hilight all the remaining text then copy and paste it to here.

For future reference: once you open Everest, click on file, preferences, report and uncheck the 'include debug information in the report' box. People rarely want to see that stuff.

:)

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer DEAN-PC (My Beast)
Generator Dean
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition 6.0.6001 (WinVista Beta)
Date 2008-07-03
Time 16:32

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name DEAN-PC (My Beast)
User Name Dean

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2400 MHz (7 x 343)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 2048 MB
BIOS Type Award (01/12/07)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
IDE Controller Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST332062 0AS SCSI Disk Device (298 GB)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T ATA Device (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 305242 MB (265466 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (192.168.1.5)

Peripherals:
Printer Epson Stylus CX3600 (M)
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device Habu Mouse
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

In Device Manager (Vista version) right click on the Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB] and look at the properties - any messages?

Also, is that a manufactured (eg, Asus, HP, etc) comp or a u-build?

In Device Manager (Vista version) right click on the Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB] and uninstall the driver. Then uninstall the device.

Reboot.

CCT said:
In Device Manager (Vista version) right click on the Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB] and uninstall the driver. Then uninstall the device.

Reboot.

when i uninstall the driver it disappears from the device manager, so i cant uninstall the device, what do you mean.

CCT said:

Reboot.

nvm i did it

: and when i reboot vista automatically reinstalls everything i just uninstalled and i have the same problem

When trouble-shooting sound issues, disconnect the headsets (which I asked you to do back aways).

Then, go through this checklist:

Checks:

Check the motherboard bios to ensure sound is enabled.

Check Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control to ensure no 'mute' box is ticked and volume sliders are at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager for any yellow alert markings.

Check Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services for the Windows Audio entry and ensure it isa set to automatic and is started.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Speaker Volume to ensure speakers volume is maximum and then check Advanced to ensure speaker setup is right.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio - make sure a default device is entered for Sound Playback and for Midi Music Playback.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - click on the cd/dvd and make sure it is enabled then look at properties - properties to make sure the cd/dvd isn't muted and the sound volume is at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - there should be an Audio Codecs entry and an entry for the Audio Controller.

The audio codecs can be further explored by clicking properties - properties. A number of codecs may be displayed. It may be useful to select the Microsoft codecs

one at a time and click properties and re-number them 1-5 such that they are the default codes. Make a note of the original sequence of priority so you can return to the original later if you want to.

The audio controller can be further explored by clicking properties. Make sure the device is enabled.

CCT said:
When trouble-shooting sound issues, disconnect the headsets (which I asked you to do back aways).

Then, go through this checklist:

Checks:

Check the motherboard bios to ensure sound is enabled.

Check Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control to ensure no 'mute' box is ticked and volume sliders are at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager for any yellow alert markings.

Check Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services for the Windows Audio entry and ensure it isa set to automatic and is started.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Speaker Volume to ensure speakers volume is maximum and then check Advanced to ensure speaker setup is right.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio - make sure a default device is entered for Sound Playback and for Midi Music Playback.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - click on the cd/dvd and make sure it is enabled then look at properties - properties to make sure the cd/dvd isn't muted and the sound volume is at maximum.

Check Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Hardware - there should be an Audio Codecs entry and an entry for the Audio Controller.

The audio codecs can be further explored by clicking properties - properties. A number of codecs may be displayed. It may be useful to select the Microsoft codecs

one at a time and click properties and re-number them 1-5 such that they are the default codes. Make a note of the original sequence of priority so you can return to the original later if you want to.

The audio controller can be further explored by clicking properties. Make sure the device is enabled.

i've already check all of this, or can't check this because my computer recognizes no audio devices.

under Everest "Chipset" and "SPD" if i select those under motherboard nothing is displayed the problem is that when i go to the asus website to download the vista chipset for my motherboard asus p5n-e sli, the download link is broken, the china link works but it downloads at 2kb/s and then stops every 10 minutes.

and i dont even know what the SPD is, do these 2 things have something to do with it

Copy off any important files, save games, etc and do that.

First though, get all your downloads from Asus for that mobo and copy them to a cd so you have them ready.

CCT said:

First though, get all your downloads from Asus for that mobo and copy them to a cd so you have them ready.

what do you mean copy them off,

i have like 20gb of music and about 5 games. Is there any way to save these

didnt install my cd-rewriter either so i cant copy that BS to cd

So, install your cd writer - what's the problem?

btw: the everest 'spd' entry usually shows you your ram chip data.

The fact that that and the chipset data don't show is a prroblem but I am just a helper, not a paid tech so, install the cd writer, copy off the stuff I said, reformat and re-install and reload your games and transfer your saved games and if they won;t work right replay and have fun.

This isn't like losing a leg or arm ya know!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back