No video signal but all working ok

Hi guys, I have the following problem and hope you can help me.

I was playing Half-Life 2 and as I switched to the desktop with Alt-Tab, the screen went black. Then I restarted, all seemed good, and when I clicked on a quick launch button to open a folder, the screen went black again. Since then, this is the behaviour:
I restart the PC and I see NOTHING even before windows, but all the noises of the fans and HDD are in accordance to normal behaviour. I can even hear that when I type my user name and password and then press enter to log in, all the HD activity kicks in as normal, so it is all working fine except the video.
The monitor has an orange light, not green, indicating no signal is sent to it.
I tested another monitor that works 100% and same behaviour, so the problem is not the monitor.
Now, because this computer is running teamviewer (a utility to do remote desktop control), I can access the computer from another computer. When I do that, in the teamviewer screen where I am supposed to see the desktop of the faulty pc, I see a blank screen but I see that when I move the cursor, the cursors very briefly reveals the text that is behind it on the desktop of the faulty machine. VERY ODD.

I opened the case and checked that the video card (NVIDIA GTX8800) is all correctly plugged in...

I guess that the problem is either the video card or the mobo. Am I OK to assume that the issue is likely NOT to be on the graphics card, because the remote desktop utility ALSO has a blank screen and it does not use the video card output as the signal is sent via the LAN?

Should I try resetting the CMOS? I cannot access the BIOS because I see nothing on the screen!

This system has been running steadily since 2007. Any ideas of what I can test?

I am running Windows XP Home, the mobo is an Asus P5K-Premium, the GPU is NVIDIA GTX 8800, CPU Intel Core2Duo 6850, 2GB RAM DDR2. The Mobo does not have onboard graphics otherwise I would test that...The PSU is seasonic ( not sure the model).

Thank you.

I would borrow another video card to test with. If you cannot borrow a video card, replace the card. It's cheaper than a motherboard. You have opened the case. Make sure all the fans are running and the computer is clean and free of dust and other debris

Thanks, I dont know where to borrow another card, but I have moved the card to another computer and it is not being recognised. I guess it is the video card, but I wanted to understand why, if it is the video card, when I do remote desktop I see a blank desktop with the strange behaviour I described. Is the video card used for remote desktop connections?

"I have moved the card to another computer and it is not being recognized"...

Replace the video card...

Back