Noctua teases new all-black look for CPU coolers

onetheycallEric

Staff
Something to look forward to: If you've always wanted one of Noctua's popular CPU coolers but couldn't reconcile with that beige design, Noctua has heard you. In a move to appeal to a broader audience, Noctua will release black versions of its most popular CPU coolers, originally shown at Computex, towards the end of this year.

While the performance of Noctua's coolers isn't usually contested, the same can't be said for the iconic, yet polarizing brown/beige aesthetic. For those wanting a sleek, more understated look, Noctua is prepping black versions of its popular coolers for a Q4 release.

While the teaser embedded below is new, the news of Noctua's blacked out Chromax line isn't -- the company actually showed off the new coolers at Computex 2019.

Noctua will release all-black versions of the NH-D15, NH-U12S and NH-L9i. Additionally, there will be black versions of the NF-A20, NF-A9, NF-A9x14 and NF-A8 fans. The new coolers will be replete with black mounting kits, and Noctua is aiming for no more than a one degree difference in cooling performance.

No word on pricing, but I wouldn't expect prices to be too far from the original models. Noctua currently holds two spots on our list of Best CPU Coolers.

Permalink to story.

I hope that is a black removable sticker on the bottom of the heat sink

I'd hate to think they anodized the heat sink surface to insulate the cooler from that hot nasty cpu

This will really annoy their fans who wore the beige/brown signature as a badge of honour.

...it was telling the world you were smarter than the herd, you always put function over form.

Now the plebs will be able to buy into Noctua.

This will really annoy their fans who wore the beige/brown signature as a badge of honour.

...it was telling the world you were smarter than the herd, you always put function over form.

Eh I've always loved tan and earth tones. I'll still buy beige colored coolers from them.
Who gives a flip about the color, it's the performance that matters!
With Noctua mentioning trying to keep performance within 1°C I'd imagine the coating for color affects it somewhat and it sounds like beige is better.

With Noctua mentioning trying to keep performance within 1°C I'd imagine the coating for color affects it somewhat and it sounds like beige is better.
I doubt it's the color that affects cooling. This new black plastic is probably a different type of material compared to that ugly beige stuff they were using before.

Also, this sounds like a ploy to get more money. They already charge a premium for the name, now they can charge even more if you want the non-ugly black version.

That beige looks terrible, a person can dress like a fool and be proud of it but they'll still just look like a proud fool.

The beige color was the ONLY criticism you could made about Noctua fans and coolers, it was costing them sales, and Noctua's brand has grown big enough that it doesn't need beige to distinguish itself anymore. The black looks sooo much better. If I didn't already have an ugly beige/brown NH D15S, I'd be all over this. Still temped to get one to go with my black chromax case fans.

The beige color was the ONLY criticism you could made about Noctua fans and coolers, it was costing them sales.
I agree. When you are catering to people that build their own machines. The very same people that build for show more often than not. Doesn't it also make sense that components should be designed for a show case. At least one of their models.

The only complaint I have with RGB is the lack of non-RGB. Nearly everything worth buying now has RGB. Don't tell me to turn RGB off. Give me a product that doesn't have them. That way I will not have to manually remove the LEDs. When the device defaults to being on at boot up.

About time. It's the chief reason I never even considered their products.

Now if everyone would just quit with the RGB lighting nonsense and get back to business...

About time. It's the chief reason I never even considered their products....
OK, so Noctua has had black fans for some time. (Albeit with ugly (?) orange shock absorber ears)..
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-chromax-black-swap-case-fan/p/1YF-000T-000D6 I believe these were in their "pro line", and had an extra 1000 RPM above the stock tan units.
1512657650-NF-A15-HS-PWM-CH-BK-S-th.jpg

I considered buying one to replace the stock tan unit in my NF-12 (?) single fan cooler. Other than the stock red LEDs in my case fans, I don't have case lighting, so I said .......Well you get the idea. :rolleyes:

The "within 1 C" issue, is that they're apparently going to anodize the bare aluminum of the cooling fins, which might affect cooling slightly.

,,,[ ]...Now if everyone would just quit with the RGB lighting nonsense and get back to business...
RGB lighting is this generation's, "Hollywood glass pack muffler". Anyway, it's like putting a loud muffler on a stock motor. Which (IIRC) we corner boys would deride by shouting, "it must be fast, listen to all the noise it makes", as one of those douches drove by, revving their engine..

Last edited:
....[ ]...With Noctua mentioning trying to keep performance within 1°C I'd imagine the coating for color affects it somewhat and it sounds like beige is better.
As I told Mr.Dragon above, I suspect the :black chrome (?) anodizing on the cooler's fins may be the temperature issue.

Credit where credit's due. Noctua make very good coolers.
They're also honest and somewhat conservative when discussing the available performance of their coolers.

For example, they'll give you an estimate of how much overclocking you'll be able to do with any given model cooler.

I doubt it's the color that affects cooling. This new black plastic is probably a different type of material compared to that ugly beige stuff they were using before.

Also, this sounds like a ploy to get more money. They already charge a premium for the name, now they can charge even more if you want the non-ugly black version.
Well. I said the COATING for the color and the COATING is for the cooling tower itself. The only thing new here really is the COATING. They've had black and grey fans for a minute.
Im just guessing they use the same material for both colored fans but maybe not. The plain aluminum/beige combo of old seems to be better than all black combo options is what I meant by beige being better. Sure you could buy the bare aluminum tower and use chromax fans and have the same performance but have a plain Jane black fan.

About time. It's the chief reason I never even considered their products....
OK, so Noctua has had black fans for some time. (Albeit with ugly (?) orange shock absorber ears)..
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-chromax-black-swap-case-fan/p/1YF-000T-000D6 I believe these were in their "pro line", and had an extra 1000 RPM above the stock tan units.
1512657650-NF-A15-HS-PWM-CH-BK-S-th.jpg

I considered buying one to replace the stock tan unit in my NF-12 (?) single fan cooler. Other than the stock red LEDs in my case fans, I don't have case lighting, so I said .......Well you get the idea. :rolleyes:

The "within 1 C" issue, is that they're apparently going to anodize the bare aluminum of the cooling fins, which might affect cooling slightly.

,,,[ ]...Now if everyone would just quit with the RGB lighting nonsense and get back to business...
RGB lighting is this generation's, "Hollywood glass pack muffler". Anyway, it's like putting a loud muffler on a stock motor. Which (IIRC) we corner boys would deride by shouting, "it must be fast, listen to all the noise it makes", as one of those douches drove by, revving their engine..
Yup, I totally got confused with the article and the main picture and assumed that Noctua had announced that they were bringing out black fans - which they obviously have had for at least a year. So it's just the coolers that are now going black, right down to the cooling block over the CPU.
Finally, Noctua coolers are worth putting in a glass case. Previously I would look for coolers of a similar performance but not so darn ugly. beQuiet! being the number one choice.

I am honestly all for the all-black heat sink. For someone who likes to make builds with form and function in mind, the aluminum can sometimes draw away from the theme you are trying to go for. But Noctua has given you options to combat this with the Chromax series but when space is at a premium in some of the cases I have built-in the Chromax covers sometimes just can't fit.

Back