Nokia CEO: Apple created the conditions necessary to create Android

Emil

Staff

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop had a keynote at the Open Mobile Summit in London today. He talked about various aspects of the industry, which you can read courtesy of mocoNews.

Elop kicked off his speech with a backhanded hat-tip to Apple, but what he really did was complement Google. He basically said that the shortcomings of iOS helped guarantee Android's success. Here's the full quote:

Apple in 2007 introduced a high water mark in terms of saying, 'This is what users expect'…But Apple did this in a very Apple way. It was closed. Apple created Android, or at least it created the conditions necessary to create Android. People decided they could not play in the Apple way, and they had to do something else. Then Google stepped in there and created Android… and others jumped on the Android train.

We've known why companies and consumers have been choosing Android over iOS for a long time now, but it's still something to hear such praise from the competition. Elop understands the mobile industry quite well, and it's refreshing to hear a CEO talk about it in such a sincere fashion.

Just a week ago, there was talk that Microsoft would buy the Finnish company. Elop ended up having to publicly call the rumor "baseless" in response to constant questions. This week, the rumor mill claimed Samsung was interested in buying Nokia. Once again, stepped in to say that Nokia is not being acquired by a company. "All those rumors are baseless," he said. "Nokia is not for sale."

Despite Elop's comments about Android, he still didn't choose the platform. Four months ago, Nokia announced that it was choosing Microsoft's Windows Phone as its primary smartphone platform. Two months ago, Nokia and Microsoft finally signed a definitive agreement regarding their global mobile ecosystem partnership.

It's generally accepted, however, that Windows Phone is not selling well. AT&T Mobility CEO believes things will start to pick up with Windows Phone 7.1 (codenamed Mango) and as the Windows Phone Marketplace gains more apps.

Elop's explanation is a bit different. "Windows Phone scores better than Android and iPhone with consumers, but OEMs are doing their best work for Android," he explains. "For Nokia our best work will be for Windows Phone. You will see waves of families of devices that deliver on the promise of Windows Phone 7."

The success of Windows Phone is not only critical to Microsoft, but to Nokia as well. Even if the two companies fail in their mission, this is good news for the mobile industry as competition will only get more and more fierce.

Permalink to story.

Saying "companies and consumers have been choosing Android over iOS for a long time now" is very misleading, there are also a lot of companies and a lot of consumers choosing iOS over Android, as there are BB users choosing it over iOS and Android. There are no masses switching from iOS to Android nor otherwise. The smartphone market is very healthy right now and with very good alternatives, just don't point something that is not true just because you want it to be and I don't really see much praise to Android from your quote nor from the linked article.

And by the way Nokia CEO is really talking out of his 'rear-end' Android exists before the iPhone was originally announced, what the iPhone did do is set the trend on an all touch screen display device and no physical keyboard, see: http://counternotions.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/android-iphone2.jpg?w=382&h=600

@Mario I don't think its misleading at all. I know plenty of people who have moved away from iOS for Android, myself included. I loved my original iPhone, but I got extremely sick of the way apple works. I had always thought Android was very clunky and ugly, but once android hit 2.1 was out I saw that it was actually going to move somewhere and jumped on the train. There are far more features that don't cost me money and I can actually personalize the phone to be MINE :) I understand where you're coming from, but I own both devices and my android device is light years ahead of my iPhone 4

But Apple did this in a very Apple way
ap·ple noun, often attributive \ˈa-pəl\
Definition of APPLE

3: a closed, very restricted, overrated and overpriced method to develop a products-services that tends to get highly overrated due to consumerism.

Apple came out with a superior product, but has been losing ground not because other products are better, but because people don't want the iPhone with Apple attached to it.

Most of the people that I know, including die hard Macheads have their iPhones jailbroken. Apple could have maintained a much larger lead on Android had they adopted some of its openness. Instead they became very controlling, doing a 180 on the previous two decades of corporate philosophy.

Apple created its own competition when they came up with a superior product that was hard to beat, but they really gave that competition a leg up through its business practices, and its increasingly hard line attitude towards everything.

gwailo247 said:
Apple came out with a superior product, but has been losing ground not because other products are better, but because people don't want the iPhone with Apple attached to it.

Most of the people that I know, including die hard Macheads have their iPhones jailbroken. Apple could have maintained a much larger lead on Android had they adopted some of its openness. Instead they became very controlling, doing a 180 on the previous two decades of corporate philosophy.

Apple created its own competition when they came up with a superior product that was hard to beat, but they really gave that competition a leg up through its business practices, and its increasingly hard line attitude towards everything.

But lots of Android products are better. Look at the samsung i9000 and i9100. Or the HTC sensation.

Are you people on dope?! Android better? People don't want Apple controlling their phone?

Let's see, Android is the wild west of software, with apps that steal your data, situation so bad that some apps are going to have to be banned; after the damage is already done. And this only the beginning.

Sorry, but I'll take Apple's elegantly designed and safe 'walled garden' with all the innovation and ecosystem (iTunes, iCloud) that Android will never have. No one, but no one, can design hardware or write software like Apple, their long list of technological innovations are astounding. Google found a way to put ads in a search engine. Whoopee!

@panda218 yes I believe is misleading because iPhone sales are only going up and it's market share is very steady. Apple is the only manufacturer for iPhones and they only have 1 model for sale, if you compare Apple's market share against individual smartphone manufacturers you'll find them very near the top.

Frankly, I don't own a smartphone and don't care if IOS or Android is better.
I use my phone for talking to human beings.

Silly CEO, this is how it goes.

First God made the smart phone. The phone was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the system. And God said, "Let there be Android"; and there was light.

@Mario That's apples way... Its not my fault they don't make several different phones. I would rather be able to choose a phone that best suits me, rather then be given no other options. I'm not dead sold on Android though, I would like to see MS pickup some speed once "Mangos" releases, but who knows ^^

cant wait for the New Nokia's to come out with WM7. Android and iphone can go to hell.

marioestrada said:
@panda218 yes I believe is misleading because iPhone sales are only going up and it's market share is very steady. Apple is the only manufacturer for iPhones and they only have 1 model for sale, if you compare Apple's market share against individual smartphone manufacturers you'll find them very near the top.

IMO 'one size doesn't fit all' and 'have limited appeal' as a consequence. Almost everyone I know have dumped iPhone (except 1) and they have either chosen WP or Android, even I am waiting to jump Android ship because of pathetic levels of stability on SGS. TBH I think buying SGS is my worst tech buying decision, considerable amount of money down the drain for no good ROI.

As a consumer, I'd rather have something which is rock solid stable, of good quality, and allow me to do whatever I want to do (within a reason) regardless of what badge it came with.

But lots of Android products are better. Look at the samsung i9000 and i9100. Or the HTC sensation.

That was inevitable. Apple's products, by design, are middle of the road, designed to have as broad of an appeal as possible. When you release one model a year, you will get left behind.

But I wasn't talking as much about hardware as climate. Apple had a huge lead in the market (well, if you pretend RIM doesn't exist), but they blew it with how they acted. They inspired such dislike from people with their draconian tactics and arrogance.

"You're holding it wrong." is basically the summary of how Apple views itself and its customers. And people who don't like being treated that way moved away from Apple to any alternative they could find. Which is sad.

@guest at 9:41pm I agree, but I will not say android can go to hell... I'm really hoping that Nokia releases some solid devices with WP7.1

Windows Phone is crap .. Nokia Os phones bets it currently.

and Symbian still kicks both iOS and Androids *** .. if people just can learn the diffrence of OS and UI.

...still challange anyone to mention anything an iOS or Android device can do out of the box that a Symbian^3 device can't ....

Back