Nokia is launching five new affordable phones for the US market

jsilva

In brief: Nokia is expanding its phone portfolio with five new devices, each costing less than $250. Building upon Nokia's older C- and G-series devices, the phone maker announced the C100, C200, G100, and G400 models. In addition, it also showed a clamshell phone, the 2760 Flip.

We don't yet know the full specifications of these phones, as Nokia plans to share them closer to launch. We do, however, have enough information to paint a picture of the target audience for each.

Starting with the C-series phones, both handsets will come with a MediaTek Helio A22 SoC running Android 12 and packing 3GB of RAM with 32GB of storage. The C100 will feature a 5.45-inch display, an 8-megapixel rear camera, and a 4,000mAh battery. As for the C200, it also packs a 4,000mAh battery but has a 6.1-inch screen. The C100 is scheduled to release this quarter for $99, while the C200 should be out during Q2 2022 for $119.

Then, there are the new G-series phones, including the G100 and the G400. The G100 looks like most other $150 phones, featuring a 6.5-inch display with an HD+ resolution, a sizable 5,000mAh battery, a triple camera setup, and a built-in fingerprint sensor on the phone's power button. The SoC is said to be a Snapdragon 615, but the remaining specifications of this handset contradict that statement.

The SD615 is a 7-year-old SoC based on the 28nm process that only supports a single camera (up to 21MP). If the G100 has three cameras, it's hard to believe it comes with this SoC. Our bet is this handset instead uses the Snapdragon 662, which Qualcomm also refers to as SM6115 (hence, the confusion with the SD615).

Moving to the G400 specifications, it packs a 6.6-inch display with a 120Hz refresh rate, a 5,000mAh battery, 6GB of RAM, and 128GB of storage. Out of all new Nokia phones, this is the only one that supports 5G connectivity, enabled the Snapdragon 480 5G it features. In addition, this phone uses a triple camera setup with a 48MP primary camera, a 5MP ultrawide, and a 2MP macro.

The G100 and G400 are coming in Q2 2022 for $149 and $239, respectively.

At last, there's the 2760 Flip, a clamshell phone designed to be intuitive and straightforward to use, focusing on providing users with a reliable device that can last. To further simplify the phone's usage, Nokia decided to use KaiOS, a mobile operating system based on Linux featuring basic Google services like Maps and YouTube, making this phone suitable for children and seniors.

The 2760 Flip features an external screen for notifications and an emergency side-button that can be configured to call a specific contact and share your location. Scheduled to release this quarter, the 2760 Flip will be available for $79.

Permalink to story.

I got a Samsung A71 5G (although I keep the 5G turned off) for less than 300 bucks about 7 months ago. Exynos 980, 128GB 6GB RAM, 6.7 inch display, 64 MP, 12 MP, 5 MP camera. Does everything I need, FAST response. The ONLY thing I would like better, would be a louder speaker (single speaker, not dual speaker).
These "flagship" phones are WAY overpriced, but, hey, if you like spending over $1,000 bucks on a phone, that's your business. "But I buy mine on contract though my carrier it's only xxx per month. Yeah, but you are still spending a ton of money, for "a phone".

Maybe Nokia should sell cars since they are good at spinning their wheels. These slow deaths are painfully slow. Reminds me of Blackberry.

The last decent phone HMD released was the Nokia 8.1 and that was over 3 years ago, they have been pretty rubbish since then.

The G series look good, ever since motorola dropped any interest in the moto G line and cheaped out with 720p screens, mono speakers, and cheap mediatek processors, I've had no good budget phones to recommend. Hopefully, having snapdragon 662s, they support verizon as well as ATT and tmobile in the states.

EDIT: ahh nevermind, HD+ screens. Why did they take away 1080p screens from budget phones? Honestly, the whole market is screwed. I wish we could get some of those xaiomi or huweai phones right now....
I got a Samsung A71 5G (although I keep the 5G turned off) for less than 300 bucks about 7 months ago. Exynos 980, 128GB 6GB RAM, 6.7 inch display, 64 MP, 12 MP, 5 MP camera. Does everything I need, FAST response. The ONLY thing I would like better, would be a louder speaker (single speaker, not dual speaker).
These "flagship" phones are WAY overpriced, but, hey, if you like spending over $1,000 bucks on a phone, that's your business. "But I buy mine on contract though my carrier it's only xxx per month. Yeah, but you are still spending a ton of money, for "a phone".
The only phone I'd pay $1000 for would be a phone with a fully community supported ROM, unlocked boot loader, fully replaceable camera/motherboard/ece, and an old fashioned user replaceable battery. Something like that I can keep running for a LONG time.

The notch is an immediately no-go. But their making a flipphone. Why don't they put out a new Communicator with a nice keyboard, too? Those of us who were spoiled by superior physical QWERTY or who don't have good dexterity would jump on that.

They would have to be a lot better than the Nokia I purchased last year, and have replaced. The interface was not intuitive compared to other phones and it was so slow. It was also difficult to answer calls as often my finger movements did not register, no matter how careful I was. But the worst thing about it was the volume control; the sound was so quiet that I had to put it on loudspeaker all the time and the slow screen changes meant most people I called hung up before I could work out whether they had answered or not! At the time I was not relying on this as my main phone, but once the landline became impossible it was going to have to be replaced. The final straw was when it turned out it could not cope with a warm Australian summer's day and automatically shut down.

Other than the HDMI+ of one of the models, is Nokia keeping screen resolution a secret? Or are you choosing not to tell us, because you don't think it is important?

Back