Nokia Lumia 710 Windows Phone Review

I have to say, it happened the same to me. I was going to buy the unlocked Lumia 800 but I rely heavily on two iOS apps when I'm away from the office to monitor traffic trends (on TechSpot of course) and so I went for the iPhone 4S. Otherwise the hardware and software is there, Windows Phone looks fantastic.

Not a bad choice Julio, at least if I go to purchase a new phone today, it will also be either an Lumia 800 or 4S ;)

Why would u need TomTom, this phone comes with free turn by turn navigation, global maps oflline or online, with free map updates = Nokia Drive

This is all they got!? Pretty disappointing. I will have to wait until I see what they have next year.
Until then it looks like iPhone 4S or the Samsung Galaxy 2 with Ice Cream Sandwich.

They did do pretty good as it is just something they threw together.

I am sure they will sell at least as many as they did of the Kin. Probably to the same people.

To first guest, I've tried the Nokia software and it's just not as good or updated that often, when your driving along and need to quickly change the route the TomTom app still beats everything I have tried, I've also noticed that a lot of other apps (including the Nokia one) close or minimise when someone calls, TomTom will continue working, until TomTom make the app for the windows platform, I won't get one, but I'm pretty sure it's just a waiting game, the more traction windows phone gets, the more chance TomTom will port the app over :)

Is it really fair to compare a $50 (or Free) phone to phones that cost more than $200?

The Lumia 710 is not what I would want my next phone to be... but for $50 (or Free)... It kills the other smart phones that are under $100.

TomTom is not on Phone 7 but Garmin StreetPilot is...

I just saw that this phone was added to T-Mobiles list of pay-as-you-go phones. Has anyone had any experience using this phone this way?

Having a pay-as-you-go Windows Phone is something I have wanted for awhile. I currently use a low-end Android phone and while I save a ton of money using T-Mobile's PAYG setup, the phone itself is severely lacking and I would love to upgrade.

Burntham77, have you tried the navigon software? It's owned by Garmin and has downloadable maps. I've been using it ever since it came out and I have to say it's quite impressive.

i have been using this phone and i love it. I upgraded from an older iphone. There are a few features that are missing from this phone, but overall its not a bad phone at all.

I just got one 2 weeks ago because it was free. My wife has the expensive Samsung Galaxy IIs whereas I just upgraded from a Samsung Gravity. This review was thorough, but I have a few nits to pick. First off, I find I like the bar for back and search better than the capacitive buttons since it is easier to locate without looking and I like the tactile feel. Unlike the reviewer I have had no trouble at all with the camera button. Further, his camera review was rather shallow. If you search you can find a detailed comparison of this camera and others in the same price range for Windows. This camera performed worst in Sunlight, but best in dim light settings, contrary to what the reviewer found. I would trust the much more detailed comparo.

Further, the search defaulting to Bing is no biggie since it is butt simple to set up a Live tile that goes right to Google or whatever search you wish - that button is unecessary and I wish they had set it to forward the way you have on a browser.

The Nokia Drive is great since you incur no roaming or Web data usage fees to download maps as you would for Google maps. It is a big download (1.8 GB) as reviewed.

As to screen, well yes, the Galaxy IIs has a much better screen but it also costs much more so you get what you pay for.

As for comparisons between iOS, Android and Mango Windows 7.5 - I don't see a huge difference from the end-user point of view. There is an icon - you hit it - and it does some useful (or not useful) thing. Obviously, there are far fewer apps. I read that there are about 500K apps for the iPhone, 250K for Android and only about 50K for Windows. That may be true, but since I don't use my phone for games I have found, so far, all the apps that I needed (stocks, flashlight, weblinks, scientific calculator, navigation, an app for creating live tiles ...).

I have found the 4G web downloads as fast as the Galaxy IIs and I think this is a limitation of your network coverage where you are - not the phone. I think it is rare to find a place where you can actually download at the maximum speed.

All in all - for a free or $50 phone - it is a fine device.

Back