Nokia Lumia 925 Review: Windows Phone at its best, but is it enough?

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/701-nokia-lumia-925/]https://www.techspot.com/review/701-nokia-lumia-925/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Hands down the best mobile platform in my opinion even if battery life isn't the best. It just works without a fuss or any noticeable slowdown. There is no question iOS is good and Android enjoys great popularity but I find the latter to be unreliable and slow-going at times. Now back to my trusty Nokia Lumia 710 after my girlfriend smashed the display on her SGS3 (I gave her my SGS3 Mini to use in its place) and couldn't be happier -- though I wouldn't mind it having a better camera for those impromptu snaps of my young daughter.

Just a shame it doesn't benefit from the huge app ecosystems that its rival OS' enjoy. That's unfortunately made worse by Google withdrawing support for Exchange Active-Sync In January, leaving those of us using Google Calendar, Contacts and Gmail for synchronisation high and dry (well those of us using their free services and trying to add it after resetting/buying a phone anyway).

"Nokia only put 16 GB into this flagship Windows Phone, which is less than the Lumia 920?s 32 GB, "

False. There is a 32 GB model you know, I've got one. What you're saying is almost like saying "Crucial only put 4GB into their flagship 4GB memory module", when other size modules are available.

"Nokia only put 16 GB into this flagship Windows Phone, which is less than the Lumia 920?s 32 GB, "

False. There is a 32 GB model you know, I've got one. What you're saying is almost like saying "Crucial only put 4GB into their flagship 4GB memory module", when other size modules are available.

The 32 GB model is definitely not as widely available (exclusive to Vodafone, not available at all in the USA), but I've updated the article accordingly

Hands down the best mobile platform in my opinion even if battery life isn't the best. It just works without a fuss or any noticeable slowdown. There is no question iOS is good and Android enjoys great popularity but I find the latter to be unreliable and slow-going at times. Now back to my trusty Nokia Lumia 710 after my girlfriend smashed the display on her SGS3 (I gave her my SGS3 Mini to use in its place) and couldn't be happier -- though I wouldn't mind it having a better camera for those impromptu snaps of my young daughter.

Just a shame it doesn't benefit from the huge app ecosystems that its rival OS' enjoy. That's unfortunately made worse by Google withdrawing support for Exchange Active-Sync In January, leaving those of us using Google Calendar, Contacts and Gmail for synchronisation high and dry (well those of us using their free services and trying to add it after resetting/buying a phone anyway).

Regarding the app situation... I think things are getting a lot better. It used to be that WP users had to wonder whether they would get apps or not. Now it's more a question of when. For the Google situation, I'm pretty sure MS is implementing Google's preferred syncing methods in a future update.

The phone comes with a built in panorama app and as far as switching between camera apps, once you're in the camera app there's a button on the bottom that has two arrows pointing different ways. This button allows you to switch between camera apps in two steps (press the arrow button, pick the app you want to use). It's much like how you switch texting mediums in the messaging app.

I want this phone... badly. Waiting for the 1020 to be released here in Australia and push the 925 down in price.

"I really liked the feature that shows the time on the screen when the device is ‘off'"

My god, I've been after this feature for the last 5 years or more! Brilliant, hope more phones go this way...

I am amazed that people will even buy WP crap. But, do not let that stop you, keep buying it.

A day without apps, is like a day without a smartphone. Sorry, too many missing WP8 apps for me.

The app ecosystem is holding Windows phone back, along with the carrier exclusive deals.

I don't mind about carriers since I mostly buy unlocked anyway, but after a short stint with a Windows Phone I felt the platform was good, the hardware was good, but the lack of apps can be a major drawback if you are used to, say iOS, where third party apps are definitely better polished and availability on the platform takes precedence. I personally missed having a proper YouTube app and some other misc. apps that I use to monitor the site's performance: chartbeat, analytics, adsense, etc.

For the younger user base that likes to download trending apps, WP is not there yet. For the average user who comes from Blackberry or some feature phone, WP is a big upgrade, big-name apps are mostly all there (Facebook, Skype, etc.), getting Office is great, it's a very nice and easy to use OS, but for now Microsoft remains on the losing end of the ecosystem competition unfortunately.

I would've thought the 925 and 1020 have different target audiences, I therefore don't see it affecting the 925's price at all. Especially as the 925 is still a "new" model too.

The 1020 to me seems like a 920 with a big bulge on the back, in terms of looks at least. I therefore think it will appeal mostly to those wanting a kick-*** camera. Those wanting a nice looking, slim phone with great (but not as great as 1020) pictures will go for the 925.

I don't mind about carriers since I mostly buy unlocked anyway, but after a short stint with a Windows Phone I felt the platform was good, the hardware was good, but the lack of apps can be a major drawback if you are used to, say iOS, where third party apps are definitely better polished and availability on the platform takes precedence. I personally missed having a proper YouTube app and some other misc. apps that I use to monitor the site's performance: chartbeat, analytics, adsense, etc.

For the younger user base that likes to download trending apps, WP is not there yet. For the average user who comes from Blackberry or some feature phone, WP is a big upgrade, big-name apps are mostly all there (Facebook, Skype, etc.), getting Office is great, it's a very nice and easy to use OS, but for now Microsoft remains on the losing end of the ecosystem competition unfortunately.

Yeah, I really wish there was more functionality in iOS like there is in Android. In particular, I would love a file explorer and the ability to extract files like on Android. I really like the idea of CPU-Z on android along with other apps you mentioned.

Regarding the app situation... I think things are getting a lot better. It used to be that WP users had to wonder whether they would get apps or not. Now it's more a question of when. For the Google situation, I'm pretty sure MS is implementing Google's preferred syncing methods in a future update.

I'd agree with that. I have Whatsapp, Skype, Evernote, eBay and fantastic mapping software. Gmail integration aside, the aforementioned apps are most important to me so it ticks all the right boxes.

The only illusive issue is lack of Gmail support and I'm sceptical if it will be fixed for those using first-gen WP7.8 software -- guess we'll see on that one. lol.

Well I am not too certain some apps are coming to WP8 anytime soon.... To name a few where I live, I have CalRoadReports, TheTribune, and KSBY news. There are other ones I use all the time which are missing on WP8. Yes, there are some ways to substitute - to do without, and in a few cases other apps just as good. But the lack of apps still looms large as a problem of WP8. I like Nokia as a phone builder, and some things about the way Windows software works, though not ever element. WP8 by Nokia are pretty sturdy, somewhat intriguing in the interface, as WP8 GUI is a fresh new face, and it appears to work snappy without many crashes. It may have a future, if they add more apps.

Leeky
Google have extended sync support for its services by the end of the year.
On WP: I am still using my 920 as daily driver, which happily hums along without any issues of any sorts, and is a joy to use. I've found pretty decent alternatives for whatever little app collection I had on other platforms, beside, the rest are available on it anyway. So, I am not that much bothered about it have only 150K or so apps.

On S3: Sad to know demise of most expensive part of the set getting smashed!

By the way, I am still holding onto my S3, and after flashing countless roms, I've found out a rom on which only two applications crash more regularly I.e. Google Search and Flipboard, whereas Epic Citadel doesn't even want to start :D. However, it is still better than the rest, where any thing would crash totally unexpectedly ........ beside generally I use it to play snooker to kill some time ;)

Archean
Aye, but they only support those that have sync support in place already. You can't now add the services if you have wiped your phone, or remove and re-add the service. It's bloody stupid! Unfortunately I rely on Google services for my contacts, emails and calendars. Without them its like my arm is cut off and I'm not convinced I want to get an Exchange server just so I can use those functions fluidly. Personally I don't care if Microsoft and Google like or dislike each other -- they shouldn't be punishing customers on any platform.

I absolutely love WindowsPhone but this is actually causing me considerably headache. I did try creating an Outlook account that connects to Google's servers (I sync everything but emails) but it just doesn't seem to work reliably. The whole thing is frustrating because I'm committed to using Google's organisational products and I can't directly use them on the Lumia 710 now. I'd actually love to hear if anyone has found reliable alternatives for Google's Mail, Calendar and Contacts systems.

It is a shame the SGS3 is dead. I did look at replacing the display myself but upon seeing the amount of brute force required to remove the old screen I decided against it. I've been wanting to return to WindowsPhone for a while now so it seemed a good idea to donate my practically brand new SGS3 Mini for her to use. That was before realising Google's services are crippled on the Lumia of course!

Thankfully I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as well so at least I can sync Google on it properly and use my Lumia as a wireless access point if I'm out and about. Just wish Google would bring out a Gmail app and proper support already, but can't see it happening any time soon.

Well I made a conscious decision long time ago not to use Google services, and I am not regretting it. So, jumping ship from one platform to another isn't that painful for me.

Too bad your S3 died an unnatural death. Only thing broken on my S3 is its back cover lock, being a cheapish plasticky thing ....... except for that it is as good as new, and a good mini snooker console :D

Well there are many alternatives to the most commonly used apps, like facebook, instagram, youtube, and most of them are quite better than their, lets say, Android counterparts. I own about 4 Android devices and this Lumia 925. Saying that if Candy Crush is not on Windows Phone then there are not apps in the store is funny.
Also, a windows phone app is faster since one of the dev modes is native, so they are not being interpreted as java in Android, they run natively in the phone, that is why everything there is way too much faster, memory efficient and why not, elegant.

Back