Noob question: what will happen to my PC if I overlclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxfatty

i am not sure about overclocking, i know nothing about it or what the consiquences will be so i am asking if my pc would start smoking or what but before i say my pc specs i am gonna say that i play on my pc like everyday all day and i havent had a fault and my comp is kinda new. Now i will say my pc specs......

ACER ASPIRE GEMESTONE 8930G

-intel core tm2 Duo processor T6400 (2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB,2 MB L2 cache)
-4 GB ram
-NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT turbocache

It wont start smoking, well, Ive smoked old athlons, but you wont smoke anything.

But you can damage components, seeing as though this is a laptop what where your ideas for overclocking?

I mean it will produce more heat, and effect battery life. Ive never really delt with oc'ing newer laptops, in my CompTIA+ cert course we oc'd old donated p3 laptops and it wasnt worth the time.

I took a look at the specs of the notebook why do you need to overclock it?

If its just for fun don't you dont need to.

Read this though

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic70998.html

Nothing bad will happen if you follow good suggestions, do the overclocking incrementally, and test peridically... It is best to study what you plan to do, and also check the website of the motherboard manufacturer for guidance there, as well.
A great many (in fact, most) motherboards cannot be overclocked... so you start by searching for information on the board you now have.

Especially OEM boards like you have in you laptop.

But raybay is right if you do it a little at a time you wont grenade it.

It wont start smoking, well, Ive smoked old athlons, but you wont smoke anything.

But you can damage components, seeing as though this is a laptop what where your ideas for overclocking?

I mean it will produce more heat, and effect battery life. Ive never really delt with oc'ing newer laptops, in my CompTIA+ cert course we oc'd old donated p3 laptops and it wasnt worth the time.

I took a look at the specs of the notebook why do you need to overclock it?

If its just for fun don't you dont need to.

Read this though

i want ro overclock the CPU since it only has 2.0 GHz i want it around 2.70 GHz or maybe 3GHz to have faster performance

I honestly think you'd be lucky to see 2.3 on that chip especially on a laptop.

If you want a quicker processor, you could upgrade the processor itself.

I don't think overclocking would be your best option, you wont see 2.7 out of it, and is you did the heat in a laptop would be astounding, and the stability would be non existent

yeah, no way you are going to get 50% overclock on a stock laptop heatsink. Maybe in a desktop with upgraded cooling, but not a laptop. What do you think you need faster performance in anyway? Most games are going to be bound by your Graphics card, not your CPU anyway, so overclocking won't buy you much of anything there.

yeah, no way you are going to get 50% overclock on a stock laptop heatsink. Maybe in a desktop with upgraded cooling, but not a laptop. What do you think you need faster performance in anyway? Most games are going to be bound by your Graphics card, not your CPU anyway, so overclocking won't buy you much of anything there.

i wanted to overclock it for my games since the graphics it can handle but the gameplay is very laggy so i have to have it on low settings so i came here and posted this topic to see if i could overclock it or somin

Overclocking really isn't going to help much with games in this case anyway as you are limited by your graphics card - I have the same one in my laptop, and it is fine for most things, but you are not going to be able to play anything on maxed out settings. What game are you having issues with? I can run half-life 2 and fallout 3 on High graphics settings with no issues (maybe a little lag in huge explosions). I havn't really tried out too many other games though.

-NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT turbocache

This will not work the same as a normal 9600GT.It's like buying a low power 4850(which a friend just did),he can't overclock or run his card in xfire it doesn't even use the 6 pin power.

Check this site for a review and comparison ranking of different mobile video cards.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Graphic-Cards.130.0.html

The 9600M GT is listed as a Class 2 mid range card with the following description:

Midrange Graphics Cards - These cards should be able to display all current games with fluent framerates but not all with high detail settings. Especially demanding games like Crysis, Age of Conan, or Mass Effect are only playable with lower settings. Less demanding (and older) games, like Fifa 08, Command & Conquer 3, or Battlefield 2142 can be played with higher detail levels.

Overclocking really isn't going to help much with games in this case anyway as you are limited by your graphics card - I have the same one in my laptop, and it is fine for most things, but you are not going to be able to play anything on maxed out settings. What game are you having issues with? I can run half-life 2 and fallout 3 on High graphics settings with no issues (maybe a little lag in huge explosions). I havn't really tried out too many other games though.

i am having trouble with empire total war i can put it on ultra settings but lots of lag

Yeah, not much you can do with that game it is both CPU and GPU intensive. Your best bet is to lower your settings and live with it. If running at anything less then max settings bothers you, you are going to have to get a desktop next time as no laptop can compare for gaming purposes.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article33885.html
Even with a Core 2 Extreme Qx9770 overclocked to 4Ghz and a GTX280 - they only got 15FPS on ultra settings at 1680x1050.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back