Norton 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulslayer

I just installed Norton 360 on my system. For the most part, it seems to be running okay. However, it keeps indicating that disabling automatic Windows update is an issue affecting my status. I want to leave Windows update disabled. Is there any way to get Norton 360 to ignore this as a threat? I looked through and couldn't seem to find any option for this. Thanks in advance.

^ Thanks for the reply. I figured that's just what I would have to do. What makes Symantec think that they should identify such a thing as a threat (and not give the option to ignore or exclude it), when in fact Microsoft has the option of disabling it built into their OS?!?!

If you are not happy with Norton 360 un-install it, I would anyway !
I use the free Avira Antivirus which is much less demanding on system resource, with no Windows security warnings either ;)

I like Norton 360 thus far. I don't think it is too demanding on my system with the Semprom 3400+ and 2 GB RAM, but if you have hardware limitations, you might want to consider something less demanding on your system resources. What do you guys think is the best FREE Anti-spyware/anti-virus package out there? I have been hearing the best free anti-virus software is Avast.

Well said

Certainly a user's personal opinion and decision

Norton 360 comes with many Manufacture Computer packages
I personally don't like Norton Antivirus with its many startups
But certainly with a higher end computer it may not be an issue

By the way, keeping with the thread, I feel the Security indication may drive me crazy after a while
But that's the price you pay (well I don't pay for Antivirus, as I have free Avira)

I believe the best Anti-Spyware package is:

SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes

Both also free ;)

You can find all these AntiVirus and AntiMalware programs in the: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Norton

As mentioned in another forum, there is a standing joke in the computer manufacuring industry.

A competition was held with the second prize being a years free subscription to Norton Anti-Virus. The first prize was a program which enabled you to actually remove Norton AV from your computer; an accomplishment previously only attainable by a random act of God or a lightning strike!

On a serious note, I went off Norton precisely because it took too much control of my operating system. And I won't use it, even when I get it free in a utilities package that comes with a product I buy. I have too many bad memories of my experiences with it going way back to the Win98 era.

For my money Avira (free) rules. Because it's freeware, it does have nag/splash screens, but these can be removed if you want. A Google link on how to do this can be found by clicking Disable Avira nag/splash.

These instuctions worked fine, except for the very end bit showing how to do a registry edit modification to remove the start-up splash. The suggested one didn't work and had to be changed slightly. This is a link to a forum article on how to do it. Avira Splash.

The modification that works is shown in the 6th screen down in this post. If you can't be bothered reading the whole post, the amended registry key that works replaces "min" on the end with "/nosplash" & looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /nosplash

In my original post I stated that I used AVG and Avira anti-virus programs simultaneously. I have since been advised that this is a no -no, so I have stopped using AVG.

Question:
Will the SuperAntiSpyware interfer with Norton360?

I have Norton360. Today I ran the 8-step program and downloaded S.A.S. Just wondering if going forward I am going to have problems with Norton trying to run with the other program now on my computer.

Also, if there is no problem having both, I am wondering that since the 8-step virus removal process directed me to turn off Norton while I downloaded and ran the various programs, will I still have to do so when I run S.A.S. in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back