Not sure about CoD Infinite Warfare? Try it free for five days

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Activision has taken a lot heat for the latest iteration in the storied Call of Duty franchise. From day one, Infinite Warfare has been deluged with complaints covering a wide spectrum of topics – many of which we’ve previously discussed ad nauseam.

Taking a step back for a moment, one can’t help but wonder whether or not the criticism Activision has fielded – especially feedback that came before the game even launched – is justified. I mean, is it fair to bash a game to death before ever playing it?

That’s the question that Activision seems to be addressing with its latest move – an extended trial of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

Beginning at 10 am PST on December 15, gamers will be able to download and play the latest Call of Duty game free of charge on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC. All three game modes – multiplayer, zombies and the main campaign – will be open to try although there are a few limitations to take note of.

In announcing the free trial event, Activision said that it will implement a level cap of 15 in multiplayer and three in zombies. What’s more, only the first two levels of the campaign will be available to try and unfortunately, users won’t be getting access to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered.

Despite these limitations, those that wish to participate will be downloading the full game so prepare to set aside around 60GB to accommodate it.

The free trial runs through December 20 at 10 am PST. Any progress made during the trial will carry over should you choose to purchase any version of the game.

Permalink to story.

The required space and download size aren't a problem for me, the campaign mode will be. It's the only one I'd play and it's so short it I won't need 5 days to play it... more like 5 minutes so I'll sit it out. The last time I bought a CoD game was Modern Warfare (1) and that was the end of it for me.

Last edited:
I liked the game, but I finished the campaign in under 2 days.. which is all I wanted to play... the actual game seems to be going more to online insipidness where cheating is rampant and your only rewarded if you stay in it long hrs , the nerds and fanboi's make the online play, not enjoyable. This goes for all the FPS.

I liked the game, but I finished the campaign in under 2 days.. which is all I wanted to play... the actual game seems to be going more to online insipidness where cheating is rampant and your only rewarded if you stay in it long hrs , the nerds and fanboi's make the online play, not enjoyable. This goes for all the FPS.

I really do see your point here. Those people who play it for 500+ hours, most usually upwards of 1000+. It takes quite a bit to reach the high levels of prestige, and by that point you just lose interest. lol But I dont think its necessarily the fanbois and such... but the developers, they try to keep you coming back, its the point for them. So then they make the game like that thinking it will keep people interested.

I didn't buy it.

I watched the story on Youtube.

If I'd bought it, I'd be upset because Advanced Warfare (which I did buy) was better, and since the multiplayer doesn't really change, I'll stick with Battlefield.

The required space and download size aren't a problem for me, the campaign mode will be. It's the only one I'd play and it's so short it I won't need 5 days to play it... more like 5 minutes so I'll it sit out. The last time I bought a CoD game was Modern Warfare (1) and that was the end of it for me.

Yeah, it'll be even shorter since they capped the campaign at lv2. That has to be only a couple hours of game play. It will probably take you longer just to download and install the game. Hard pass.

I highly recommend the campaign. It is among the best FPS campaigns hands down.

Guess it'll please the insta-grat crowd, but loading 60GB to -try- it, just so I'll already have all 60GB -if- I like it, seems a bit back-asswards..

I highly recommend the campaign. It is among the best FPS campaigns hands down.
agreed I enjoyed the campaign, I was actually quite immersed in it , but then it ended as quickly as it started.. ffs. When it got to the solar system strategic map, I was hoping that it would be a Mass Effect mission volume.. nope.

The required space and download size aren't a problem for me, the campaign mode will be. It's the only one I'd play and it's so short it I won't need 5 days to play it... more like 5 minutes so I'll it sit out. The last time I bought a CoD game was Modern Warfare (1) and that was the end of it for me.

Yeah, it'll be even shorter since they capped the campaign at lv2. That has to be only a couple hours of game play. It will probably take you longer just to download and install the game. Hard pass.

I can verify that indeed it takes much longer to download it than the playing time they allow. My kids cleared room on their PS4 to download this and it's a crock! Severe limitations and they were so mad they don't even want me to buy it now. Who can even tell if it's worth the money with the very short trial. Turned out to be not even worth the download. I guess Activision is worried that if they gave you a proper trial you might find out how badly the game actually sucks. Easy decision deleting the "trial" and getting the 60+ Gb of space back on the hard drive.

Back