Not sure - replace processor or upgrade completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legoflamb

Ok so my computer doesn't emit a monitor signal and turns itself off most of the time after 30 seconds this is after reapplying thermal paste because it shut itself down a couple of times from overheating. Done a couple of tests and I think the cpu is dead or the motherboard.

I have

Asus p5b-vm se
corsair 2gb ram
ati hd2900xt
intel q6600

Should I replace the broken cpu (bearing in mind it could still be the mobo possibly)

Or should I just replace the cpu, mobo and get some new ram while I'm at it to be up to date?

I'm just thinking that if i replace the cpu i might find out that it's actually the mobo that's broken and also if it is the chip and I replace it, how long before I upgrade anyway?

What processor would be a good upgrade? I've been using tomshardware charts but not sure really what kind of scores in what areas I'm looking for. I'll be using cpu-upgrade.com anyway to find out what mobo I need to get if I upgrade.

Thanks in advance guys!

try this:
Download this bootable CD image: http://soft-best.net/software/utilities_tools/1314-utility-cdrrw-8cm-v2100-bootable-iso.html

boot the cd, go to Hardware test section and run the eurosoft tests.
its a comprehensive set of tests for all your hardware. you will then know what is causing the problem. (use winrar to extract the image, you only need to download the three parts from one of the sites)

Advice:
I reccommend that you only perform the Non Distructive tests.

Hey guys - thanks for the replies.

I've about had it with this thing, definitely seems to be the processor....

What do you reckon would be a good upgrade with good bang for buck? At the time of buying the q6600 it was a pretty cool new processor but not ultra expensive..

£170 maybe a bit more for the processor?

£60 for the mobo? I know this bit matters but the basic rule of thumb I've been using is don't buy an asrock!

£60 for ram

I'm not an overclocker or anything, I like to play games and I hate having a slow pc - the one I'm on at the moment is a straight up POS, less than a gig of ram its like a 1.2 amdxp or something. You literally right click something and it'll take 5 minutes to populate the list etc...

I do like to do a fair few things at once too so do you think the duo core will be enough cores? utorrent, grabit, convertxtodvd, football manager, nero, firefox, winamp, vlc blah blah I'll often be running a number of these at any one time.

I think whatever I do though it's worth getting something significantly better than what IO had before other wise I'll be upgrading in another year or so.

Thanks a lot for the help!

You do realize you have changed your mind a few times in this Topic :)

Firstly, I think you wanted it fixed
Some options were given, not sure if all were done.

Then you wanted just the CPU, as stated you believed it to be this on its own
So, then a specific CPU was stated to go with your current setup

And now you want to replace all the main internals :confused:
I suppose keeping the case and power supply and drives?

Hm, have you thought about just buying a new computer that comes with warranty and Windows 7 OEM?
That way, you can put more time into fixing the old system and just selling it as is ;)

You know the cheapest Dell (Desktop or laptop) is around £350, have a look
We're talking £50 more than "fixing" your old system (true they are a bit cheapish, but the more you spend the more you get)

So that would be the fourth change of mind if you do this

I think whatever I do though it's worth getting something significantly better than what IO had before other wise I'll be upgrading in another year or so.
That may be best, and that will make 5 :D

If you'll be upgrading in a year, just get the E8400 processor now (assuming that the processor is the problem). It's compatible with the rest of your rig.

Just to reiterate:

I tried to fix it and I think the processor is definitely broken.

There's no point in buying a cpu for the motherboard i have in case the mobo is broken too and because I'd be better off using that money to get something I actually want not just a stopgap.

I would be upgrading in a year anyway so I don't want to buy a load of stuff now and then have upgrade like I was planning to, that seems pointless - I'll just be spending money twice.

As soon as all this happened my first thought was to try to fix it then salvage what I could and get a new cpu, mobo and ram - I've not changed my mind at all.

When I asked for a processor recommendation I didn't mean one for the mobo I have. Like I said that's pointless because I'd only be upgrading in a year anyway, if I can't fix it I'd rather just salvage what I can and upgrade early...

So yeah - what processor would be a good upgrade from the q6600? (not for the mobo I already have, I'll be a new one to fit it)

Hm, have you thought about just buying a new computer that comes with warranty and Windows 7 OEM?
That way, you can put more time into fixing the old system and just selling it as is ;)

You know the cheapest Dell (Desktop or laptop) is around £350, have a look
We're talking £50 more than "fixing" your old system (true they are a bit cheapish, but the more you spend the more you get)
I'm not buying a computer off a shelf I've been burnt before buy dubious and vague specs given by companies and completely defrauded by some shop on ebay that I threatened to report to trading standards and I got a massive refund and sorted it out myself.

They always use the cheapest bits they can get away with etc....

The only thing I would like is a warranty although to be fair this computer lasted 2 years before something major happened to it.

I would be upgrading in a year anyway so I don't want to buy a load of stuff now and then have upgrade like I was planning to, that seems pointless - I'll just be spending money twice.

The whole point is that in the Intel setup that you're looking at all the components are expensive. It makes no sense in upgrading to these now and again upgrading a year later. Is there no way you can confirm whether your motherboard is broken or not?

The whole point is that in the Intel setup that you're looking at all the components are expensive. It makes no sense in upgrading to these now and again upgrading a year later. Is there no way you can confirm whether your motherboard is broken or not?

That's what I'm saying - I'm not spending money twice, I'll be upgrading now and keepiung what i have for a couple of years.

Why would I buy a new mobo, ram and processor then upgrade in a year?

Doesn't matter.

/thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back