Ntfs.sys : blue screen crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thank you very much for all the amazing effort I've seen people put in answering crash errors. Just looking at the other threads gave me ideas on how to begin debugging my problems. The guys that answers the threads are awesome!
So, here's my problem, one that quite a few people here have had:

I get a blue screen of death regularly and randomly, it is linked to the ntfs.sys file aparently. I have tried scrubbing the machine entirely but it doesn't solve the problem. Is this a RAM or Hard drive problem is what i wonder.

I'm attaching a few minidumps that i didn't figure out how to debug properly to this thread.

Thanks a million for the board!
Julien.

I read 5 of 6 minidumps from your first ZIP file and every one was a different error code. The only thing that was definitive as a probable cause was the 0xA error that is caused by either hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level that they shouldn't be attempting. In this case it cited the Symantec/Norton driver symevent.sys. We have lost count of how many people have had issues with this software and particulalry this driver.

However, with your various error codes do the following diagnostics in this order:

1. Run Memtest on your RAM for a minimum of 7 Passes; but the more Passes so much the better. See Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html Any errors whatsoever and you have corrupted memory that must be replaced.

2. Start Menu > Run Box > type in ChkDsk > click Okay > this doesn't take much time. On the second stage tell us if it says "Recovering lost files."

3. Find the make of your harddrive. Go to the the manufacture's website and find and use their free harddrive diagnostics utility tool. Do the tests.

*** Get back to us with the results.

I uninstalled Norton. I'm still getting crashes.
Struggling a bit with memcheck (it won't boot off my usb so will make some boot cds) and hopefully, that'll rid me of the problem.
Oh, and checkdsk did say that it was recovering lost files.
Thanks a lot for the great advice. Will post more once the memcheck and the hdd diagnostic is run.

Here is the thing about uninstalling Norton: It is notorious for leaving remnants of itself behind. Symantec had to make a special removal tool in order that the uninstall is complete. Go to their website, find the removal tool for your particular version and use it.

* Remember to allow Memtest to run for a LONG time. Also, for many they have to go into the BIOS and set their CD/DVDV drives as first bootable.

memtests results

Allright,
Sorry it took forever, here is the result of a 37 hours memtest:

walltime: 37:23
cached: 2048M
rsvdMem: 276M
MemMap: e820-Std
Cache: on
ECC: off
Test: std
Pass: 47
Errors: 34304
ECC Errs: 0

All the rest was a bit cryptic, but i can rerun if needed.
Cheers,
Julien.

If you have had 47 Passes and no errors you should be good and no need to run Memtest again. If you have been getting BSODs since the last time you posted then attach your five latest minidumps in one Zip file.

Also, did you use the Removal Tool supplied by Symantec to make sure all remnants of this software were removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back