Ntoskrnl.dll missing or corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

suby007

My laptop was working just fine till this morning when i woke up. i was transferring some files from my internal HDD to External HDD, there was music going on in the background i think memory clogged and the laptop hanged. Therefore i restarted the laptop by direct reset and after the BIOS screen the screen went to plain black and nothing else for like 10/15 mins and then displayed error like "Ntoskrnl.dll" missing or corrupt, reinstall windows...i forgot the exact file name.

Anyways i went to the geek squad at my college and the guy told me you can format your HDD and reinstall windows it will work fine but in future its gonna happen again and he was right because this has happened before like 3/4 months back.

So what do you guys think...If i buy a new HDD and replace it with the old one...the problem will be solved?

One more small problem...someone put BIOS password on my laptop; how the hell do i remove it??

Thanks

NoteBK Specs:
Compaq Presario R3000
Pentium Celeron 2.8 Ghz
Ram 1GB +512MB
HDD 30GB
DVD/CD ROM

If it is indeed the hard drive that is faulty, then yes, replacing it will make the problem go away. Of course, the issue could be something much more serious like a broken motherboard.

You remove the password by using the proper settings in the BIOS setup. You need to know the existing password of course. (Better go and find that someone who set the password in the first place).

how can the mother board be broken...cuz the macines working...
the scary thing is i dont mind changin the HDD but what if thats not it?..you know Can ya give some details on what else it could be.

Well, this very thread is about how the machine is not working (properly). It could be anything from a deformed hard drive connector to a flaw in the hard drive controller circuitry.

Take the hard drive and test it in another computer or borrow another hard drive and test that in yours.

Hey i bought a new WD80BEVE hard drive for my laptop and reinstalled the OS, drivers and etc etc. its now working perfect.
But how do i reclaim the data from the old damaged HDD. is there any software that i can use?? i connected the damaged HDD to the notebook through an external USB box. for some reason my computer would slow down whenever i plug and play it. XP detects the new hardrive saying founded new hardware, disk drive etc etc.. but it would not show any drive in my computer...
I tried going into computer management when i connect the HD, it doesnt open but when i disconnect the HD it opens.

so any idea what could be wrong with the HDD??? what can i do to reclaim data bcoz I've got some important stuff on the drive.

You restore your precious data from the backups you made because you know that important data should always be backed up ;)

You can try any data recovery software you can afford or find. It is better to connect the drive to a computer diretly than via a USB adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back