Ntoskrnl.exe corrupt or missing error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippedity

I have a Gateway 509GE with Windows XP. Yesterday, the computer wouldn't connect to the internet so I restarted the computer. The computer only got to the logo screen before it restarted again and again, always getting to the logo screen before starting over. I tried the option of "Starting windows normally" but then the message that said that the ntoskrnl.exe file was corrupt or missing came up. I got to the blue screen that gave me this series of numbers and letters:

Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc000001d, 0x80537008, 0xf79ec508, 0xf79ec204

Can someone please tell me what this means and how to fix this?

Btw, my computer came pre-installed with Windows XP so I have no CD to use. Is it completely impossible to fix this without the CD? Also, I read something about a dllcache folder, but how do I get to it if I can't even log on?

Thanks for any help!

0x0000007e related errors might occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error handler does not catch. Which can be caused by any of the following:

1. If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup or after Setup is complete, the computer might not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows XP.
2. The computer BIOS might be incompatible with Windows XP, or it might have to be updated.
3. The video adapter drivers might be incompatible with Windows XP.
4. A device driver or a system service might be damaged.

Out of these reason # 4 seems more plausible in your situation; however, can you please try to boot in (by Pressing F8 after POST):

1. Last Good Known Configuration
2. Safe Mode
3. Safe Mode with Command Prompt (at least this way you will know at which driver/file which is causing these crashes/reboots).

If either of the above do work; please go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, and check Windows Logs, every critical event red tag and warning one has a yellow tag. If you can provide us some information from that It will be very helpful.

I guess then you are a victim of recent MS update as well, specifically KB977165. Here is a link elaborating how to fix it; remember you need to remove KB977165 package from your system and you should be fine. Good luck

It didn't work :( It said "The system cannot find the file or directory specified" so I still don't know what my computer's problem is...

None of the options work. They always take me back to the beginning.

I need you to do this, so it can be determined whether a device driver is causing the problem by enabling driver verifier.

Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in verifier and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". When or If this occurs please post your new minidump.

I'm not sure exactly what you are able to access under the described situation. There are 'work arounds to your problem IF you are able to access Safe Mode? You indicated that you received an error message indicating your ntoskrnl.exe file was corrupt, this is an important file for boot up and CAN be corrected if we are able to access the Safe Mode.

To get to Safe mode, press the F8 key when Windows starts to boot. You have to do this BEFORE you see the first "Windows" screen. You can start tapping away as soon as you get by the BIOS startup screen or the manufacturer's splash screen. Experiment and you'll get it.

I would like to know if this is possible. If you are able to get to safe mode we have a shot at resolving your issue. Assuming that the ntoskrnl is the culprit. Good luck!

Sandys-Computer-Repair.com

1) Windows Key + R

If I press Windows key + R, I get redirected to the Gateway recovery screen which gives me the options of Full System Restore (Destructive) or Full System Restore (with Backup). There is nowhere to type verifier.

To get to Safe mode, press the F8 key when Windows starts to boot. You have to do this BEFORE you see the first "Windows" screen. You can start tapping away as soon as you get by the BIOS startup screen or the manufacturer's splash screen. Experiment and you'll get it.

I sadly cannot get into Safe Mode. Whenever I press it, the computer restarts and I get back to the same screens.

You can Press Start Button and then click on Run (it has same effect as Win+R, which has been re-programed in your case by gateway).

Lets give this a try.

When your computer hardware appears to power up okay, but the Windows XP operating system won't boot properly, you have to begin a troubleshooting expedition that includes getting into the operating system, determining the problem, and then fixing it. To help you get started on this expedition, here are 10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot.
#1: Use a Windows startup disk

One of the first things you should reach for when troubleshooting a Windows XP boot problem is a Windows startup disk. This floppy disk can come in handy if the problem is being caused when either the startup record for the active partition or the files that the operating system uses to start Windows have become corrupted.

To create a Windows startup disk, insert a floppy disk into the drive of a similarly configured, working Windows XP system, launch My Computer, right-click the floppy disk icon, and select the Format command from the context menu. When you see the Format dialog box, leave all the default settings as they are and click the Start button. Once the format operation is complete, close the Format dialog box to return to My Computer, double-click the drive C icon to access the root directory, and copy the following three files to the floppy disk:

* Boot.ini
* NTLDR
* Ntdetect.com

After you create the Windows startup disk, insert it into the floppy drive on the afflicted system and press [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] to reboot the computer. When you boot from the Windows startup disk, the computer will bypass the active partition and boot files on the hard disk and attempt to start Windows XP normally.

I'm understanding (due to you posting) that you have an alternate working system. Please note the operating system in which you will be downloading the files,needs to be a similar XP Windows version as the one on the afflicted computer.

This has a resolution, but with the described problem may take a spin or two to get to the answer.

The ultimate goal to this step is to get to a C:\ command prompt. If we are successful doing that, other steps may be taken. We should take one step at a time. Lets see how things go with the Startup disk

Good luck.
http://www.sandys-computer-repair.com/

You can Press Start Button and then click on Run (it has same effect as Win+R, which has been re-programed in your case by gateway).

I don't have a Run button.

The ultimate goal to this step is to get to a C:\ command prompt. If we are successful doing that, other steps may be taken. We should take one step at a time. Lets see how things go with the Startup disk

I have no other Windows XP computer in my home, only Windows 7. I made a disk by downloading an ISO file so I can get to the Command Prompt but I can't tell if it's missing something or not.

With the command prompt coming up on your Windows XP program this will allow you to run commands that will correct your boot up files.(which apparently seems to be the issue). I really hate to do this, but I have to run for now. I will be writing first thing in the morning. I will be able to provide command direction to the C;/ prompt, to repair the boot files. If you are able to look up 'repairing boot. ini files over the internet, this would be a good place to start. Otherwise I will put together directions for the necessary commands tomorrow.

To enable Run, you need to do this:

1. Right Click on empty area of TaskBar, then click on properties.
2. Once the properties open, click on Start Menu Tab
3. Click on Customize...
4. Scroll Down until you see "Run Command", and check the box to enable it
5. Click Ok twice to close the open properties.

You should see the Run... command in your start menu now.

Ok I had this same problem with my computer for 5 days couldn't get my windows to start i got on craigslist and bought the re-installation disk for $30 poped it in and wala windows was up and running
PS. I tried everything else and nothing worked for me even got another HD put it on and nothing so this may be the best rout. wish i had the disk in the first place

Congratulations getting into the C:/ prompt!

Ok so now we are at the C:/ prompt of the afflicted system.
There is a possibility you may have an issue with the keyboard shorting out. When this occurs it will result in the type of error message you received. I would suggest this as being a long shot resolution but might be something to think about if the keyboard is old and near being worn out. Might consider using an alternate keyboard to verify that is not the problem.

The command we will first try is this
at the C:/ prompt we will type this:

c:/ <press enter>
cd\ <press enter>
attrib -r -a -s -h boot.ini <press enter>
edit boot.ini <press enter>

After completing this task attempt to restart the machine.

What this command will do is it will edit the boot.ini file correcting anything missing or corrupted.

I wish there was a way to give one command for every situation.
Using a XP cd it is fairly straightforward without that luxury a bit trickier.

http://www.Sandys-computer-repair.com

To enable Run, you need to do this:

1. Right Click on empty area of TaskBar, then click on properties.
2. Once the properties open, click on Start Menu Tab
3. Click on Customize...
4. Scroll Down until you see "Run Command", and check the box to enable it
5. Click Ok twice to close the open properties.

You should see the Run... command in your start menu now.

I think that would work but since I can't get past the Windows logo on startup, this step isn't possible. :(

c:/ <press enter>
cd\ <press enter>
attrib -r -a -s -h boot.ini <press enter>
edit boot.ini <press enter>

When I pressed c:/, it said the command is not recognized.
When I pressed cd\, it also said the command is not recognized.
When I pressed attrib -r -a -s -h boot.ini, it said the parameter is not valid.
When I pressed edit boot.ini, it said the command is not recognized.

...this is sad

Create MS-DOS bootable diskette

Please make note this must be done using a XP Operating system of the same version as you are intending to use the the XP start-up disk on.
(in other words the Win 7 version will not work) Most libraries use XP as their operating system. Should be able to do it there.

When formatting a floppy diskette, users have the option of creating a MS-DOS startup disk, follow the below steps to do this.

1. Place diskette in the computer.
2.Open My Computer, right-click the A: drive and click Format.

3. In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.

4. Click Start

Once this has been accomplished, you will then need to go to the BIOS of the afflicted machine and change the BIOS to have the computer start with the first start up drive as being the a:/ floppy drive.
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom this website will give you info as to how to do this.
You will then put the floppy diskette into the a:/ drive of the afflicted machine, and restart the machine. After changing the BIOS for it to restart in the a:/ it will first find the start up disk and then will return the machine to the c:/ prompt.

Once at the C:/ prompt you will then be able to access the suggested commands.

It was my error thinking that you had gotten to the c:/ with this access.

The start disk provides commands as outlined in my last response.

Good luck!

Please make note this must be done using a XP Operating system of the same version as you are intending to use the the XP start-up disk on.
(in other words the Win 7 version will not work) Most libraries use XP as their operating system. Should be able to do it there.

When formatting a floppy diskette, users have the option of creating a MS-DOS startup disk, follow the below steps to do this.

wow...I feel really bad for not being able to use any of your suggestions... :( The only problem with this method is that I don't have a floppy drive.

At this point, I'll advise you to get an OEM Windows XP CD/Or Recovery CDs from gateway; because without an OS Setup CD I'm afraid there are only that much we can do. Or you can check your local store for generic OEM Windows XP CD (I believe your legal key should work with that).

It's not clear from your reply if you have tried to create a floppy start up boot disk using a similar XP Windows program. Suggested in response #14. If you will create this disk and put it into the floppy drive of the afflicted machine this (with luck) will boot your system to windows. This start up boot disk bypasses the current corrupted boot files.
Check here for more details about this operation
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6031733.html

http://www.sandys-computer-repair.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back