Nura launches subscription service so people can rent its headphones

midian182

Staff member
In brief: With so many products now using subscription/rental payment plans, it's not too surprising to see expensive headphones join the list.

Australian company Nura, which makes the popular and critically acclaimed Nuraphone wireless headphones, is offering a way for people to rent its $399 product starting from just $9 per month using its NuraNow service.

The monthly cost is dependent on how much of the up-front fee you’re willing to pay. The lowest, $9 per month tier requires an initial payment of $100. Pay $30 upfront and you can have the headphones for $12 per month, and if you don’t want to pay any initial lump sum, you can grab the cans for $15.

One of the best elements about the NuraNow plan is that you’re not locked into a contract. Subscribers can cancel whenever they like and send the headphones back to the company—you might even get your up-front payment refunded if you cancel within the first 30 days.

Subscribing brings benefits you wouldn’t get from buying the Nuraphone headset outright, the most significant being a new Nura device every 24 months. There are also invites to events, services, discount offers from other firms, a free analog (3.5mm) cable, prize draws, and a warranty that’s in place for as long as you subscribe, which includes fixing or replacing the headphones in the event of accidental damage or loss.

Nuraphones use a design that combines both in-ear and over-ear systems. They also feature active noise-canceling and sound profile matching technology that learns and adapts to each user’s hearing.

Nura says NuraNow's pilot trial sold out in less than a week in its home of Australia, and it's now available in the US and UK.

Permalink to story.

"...[includes] a free analog (3.5mm) cable..."

Well hell, I'm all over that! :p

The cost on this isn't making a lot of sense to me. Best Buy are selling these headphones for $350. Renting them over 24 months is almost that.

There are a lot of services I understand paying a monthly fee for - but headphones isn't one of them.

The cost on this isn't making a lot of sense to me. Best Buy are selling these headphones for $350. Renting them over 24 months is almost that.

There are a lot of services I understand paying a monthly fee for - but headphones isn't one of them.
Certainly not from our point of view - if you ask me, headphones, in particular, are right up there with snake oil with substantially cheaper headphones sounding easily as good

https://www.head-fi.org/ Head-Fi is a good source of actual user reviews, however, there are those out there that seem to think that the higher the cost, the higher the quality. Personally, I have not found that to be true.

From a company's point of view, however, having that siphon into their customers' wallets is a valuable asset.

Certainly not from our point of view - if you ask me, headphones, in particular, are right up there with snake oil with substantially cheaper headphones sounding easily as good

https://www.head-fi.org/ Head-Fi is a good source of actual user reviews, however, there are those out there that seem to think that the higher the cost, the higher the quality. Personally, I have not found that to be true.

From a company's point of view, however, having that siphon into their customers' wallets is a valuable asset.

"...are right up there with snake oil with substantially cheaper headphones sounding easily as good."

100% agree. It's shocking how many consumers fall for gimmicky or brand-name headsets they'll pay a mint for, but sound like garbage. I replace my headsets about once every 18-24 months, and have routinely been able to find excellent sounding cans in the sub $100 price range.

It makes sense only as trial, to see if they are worth buying.
Yes, and you can just as easily go buy them at your local big box retailer and return them if you are not satisfied.

Honestly this seems like a completely pointless endeavor for something as subjective as a set of headphones.

It makes sense only as trial, to see if they are worth buying.

There is no point paying for a trial, when you can get a refund. Nura is just hoping when people get them in there hands a significant percentage will pay and stick with them. This is old school marketing and psychology play.

Besides people can test the headsets at a store and usually at that point they will know already if they like them, if the stuff fits etc. You don't need 6 months trial to know that.

I can actually see the point of this system and how it can be good for their business and the consumer. if they allow returns on these this will allow consumers to do a "Try before they buy" type of deal instead of just blindly dropping 350 bones on what other people say are good headphones.

What do they do with them when you send them back? Surely they don't just wipe them off and send them out to someone else. Gross.

Back