Nvidia 7300GT on 300w Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manofmany

I've got an HP a1730n with a 300W power supply. An online buddy says he is running a 7300GT PCI-E card fine on his dell, which also has a 300w power supply.

I have 1 SATA HD and 1 SATA DVDRW. I have nothing extra added to the system besides RAM and some USB items such as mouse and keyboard. Do you reckon I can get by fine with that current power supply? And say something does go, will it just be the power supply? Thanks.

EDIT: I also considered an ATI X1800 but it requires a 450W supply.... just looking for something compatible with OSX that I can get QE/CI working with and plays Team Fortress 2 in Windows well

Sometimes they don't fail. You just suffer through poor performance... and a failed one or inadeqate PSU can damage the video graphics card and other components. For the relatively low cost over the life of the computer, I upgrade all power supplies. However, the Dells are as tough as any... actually tougher than most by my reconning. We see perhaps 10 times as many power supplies fail for Compaq, HP, Gateway, and Sony as we do with Dell. The Dell 2200, 2300,2350, 2400, 3000, and 5000 fail much more often. We have probably replaced more Dell 2400 power supplies than for all the other Dell Dimension 4400 on up, or Optiplex, etc... and they don't put the damands on the unit since they don't have a video graphics card or a lot of fans.

Thanks for the quick response.

So if I throw in a 7300GT I'll most likely be fine for a month or so until I can dish out the cash for a power supply?

I don't think you will get anybody to say that until somebody tries it and reports in. I suspect it will work, but cannot say if what you propose will do damage to the card...
Why not wait until you have the money... Those things don't get more expensive as time goes by... they get cheaper, and better ones come along.
Always remember, the enemy of Good is Better.

I don't think you will get anybody to say that until somebody tries it and reports in. I suspect it will work, but cannot say if what you propose will do damage to the card...
Why not wait until you have the money... Those things don't get more expensive as time goes by... they get cheaper, and better ones come along.
Always remember, the enemy of Good is Better.

Gotcha. Thanks

I installed an XFX 7900GS today and at idle the temperature is 53c and under load it's in the 63-67c range. Is that okay?

Ok for now. Most power supplies are fine most of the time. The problems come under load when you are multitasking or asking the video graphics card to do a lot and QUICKLY. It isn't usually heat that destroys them... It is load.

Ok for now. Most power supplies are fine most of the time. The problems come under load when you are multitasking or asking the video graphics card to do a lot and QUICKLY. It isn't usually heat that destroys them... It is load.

Thanks! I've got a W0100RU 500w thermaltake that should be here in a week or less.

Dell PSUs are severely under-rated. You should be fine with the 7900GS IMO, but since you already ordered a new PSU, this is a moot point.

Apparently my current PSU doesn't have the power connector for the PCI-E? It's an HP a1730n

Got my brand new thermaltake w0100ru 500w for $20+6 shipping on ebay. Guy wasn't happy about the price it sold for lol but oh well. Gonna install it soon.

Windows 7 tells me my graphics card isn't getting enough power right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back