Nvidia Blackwell RTX 5000 GPUs may debut earlier than expected

emorphy

Staff
Rumor mill: Nvidia is currently deliberating on the timing for releasing the RTX 5000 Blackwell lineup, with a potential Q4 2024 launch under consideration. The decision largely hinges on the performance of current-gen RTX 4000 series sales and AMD's next GPUs, as the company may be keen to rectify the negative perception created by the RTX 4000 series.

Nvidia is mulling an earlier release of its next generation of consumer graphics cards, the RTX 5000 Blackwell line up, pushing it up to the fourth quarter of 2024, a source has told Moore's Law is Dead. Two key deciding factors will be how well current-gen sales are doing, and how competitive AMD's RDNA 4 (Radeon RX 8000 series) turn out to be. Outside competitive influences will also be a factor with the company closely watching how AMD's next-gen RDNA 4 GPU architecture is shaping up. You can hear more of the source's comments in the video below.

More speculative information has also been revealed on Blackwell's expected performance. The improvement in performance won't be as impressive as the jump we saw from RTX 3000 to RTX 4000, but the RTX 4090 was cut down by more than 10%, so Nvidia may make the RTX 5090 "feel" like it has a similar uplift if the company felt threatened.

The rumor mill has been churning over Blackwell's specs for some time. Last month a leaker on the Chiphell forum, posted what it claimed to be stats for the RTX 5090: a 50% increase in scale (which presumably refers to cores), a 52% increase in memory bandwidth, 78% increase in L2 cache, 15% increase in frequency, and 1.7x performance uplift.

Another leak suggested that Nvidia would finally use a multi-chiplet design in the company's high-performance compute GPUs.

What happens after CES 2024 and the release of the RTX 4000 Super series could also help finalize a release date for Blackwell. Moore's Law is Dead's source said that Nvidia is planning to make a big deal about RTX 5000 efficiency and Nvidia would be set to launch its next-gen by early 2025 at the latest.

Nvidia will feature a mildly refreshed RTX 4000 lineup at CES next month and if it is less-than-enthusiastically received, there is speculation that Nvidia might expedite the launch of the next generation to late 2024.

Also read: There's no going back – The new data center is dominated by Nvidia

It is widely acknowledged that the RTX 4000 series has had an underwhelming reception, attributed not to product quality or performance, but rather to high prices and low perceived value in a shifting market where fast GPUs primarily cater to lucrative AI datacenter contracts. Nvidia might aim for the successor of this series to rectify this situation, potentially sooner rather than later. However, this expectation might be more reflective of gamers' hopes and dreams than of Nvidia's actual intentions.

Permalink to story.

The 4090 shortage is just a way to create hype for the 5090 so that they sell at sky-high prices for the holidays in 2024. nVidia is going to respond to the RX8000 series with just a price drop for awhile to sell out their stock of 40 series cards before releasing the 50 series. nVidia will release new proprietary tech on the 50 series making the 40 series almost obsolete, similar to what we saw with the 30 series.

The 4000 series was poorly planned out. The current Supers coming up should have been the launch the cards and the prices all should have been at least $200 cheaper.

That said, DLSS 3 is actually good and launched in a better state than DLSS. So, it's not like nVidia didn't offer anything new.

I don't see nvidia needing the PC business too much, so why bother with an accelerated release? If they get some real competition in the AI space and need to release a new AI card that also works for gaming, yeah, maybe.

Hopefully, the 5070 will be a worthwhile upgrade to my 3080. Otherwise, I may have to pay the “new normal” prices for a 5080.
The 3080 is still a fine card even with the DLSS BS they pulled with it. So long as they don't try to pull that again you might be able to skip the 50 series. With how newer games are I don't think it's worth paying top dollar to play them. Unless you want 4k120 with max settings I see upgrading from a 3080 hard to justify. At the same time, playing with the latest and greatest hardware is always fun even if you don't really game on it so I can respect that side of the hobby.

I am, interested in rtx5000 lineup.
I am not, interested in anything there still is with rtx4000.
I bet NVIDIA is the only person excited about rtx4000,
or rather selling cards to AI companies.

The improvement in performance won't be as impressive as the jump we saw from RTX 3000 to RTX 4000
Sure, the 4090 offered a new high in performance at prosumer pricing, and was a nice boon for those who needed these capabilities (not gamers.) But other than that, the 40xx generation offered essentially zero performance improvement on a per dollar basis, especially if you're talking about traditional raster performance with no BS DLSS marketing tricks. If the 50xx generation is going to be even worse than that, I'll be even less excited.

Sure, the 4090 offered a new high in performance at prosumer pricing, and was a nice boon for those who needed these capabilities (not gamers.) But other than that, the 40xx generation offered essentially zero performance improvement on a per dollar basis, especially if you're talking about traditional raster performance with no BS DLSS marketing tricks. If the 50xx generation is going to be even worse than that, I'll be even less excited.
The 4090 wasn't even ranked in the top 30 in steams latest hardware survey. It gets all the attention but they actually aren't selling that many of them. The 40 series really was a huge let down. The 30 series was awesome but noone could get them because GPU shortage and scalpers. Frankly, it's their handling of the 40 series and, by proxy, support for the 30 series that made me go anti nVidia.

I bought a 6700xt in the middle of the GPU shortage because it was just what I could get but I've been happy with it. Nvidia will have to work hard to get me back as a customer. I was looking at the 7900xt but I don't see games worth paying that much money to play right now. I have a feeling I might end up just getting an 8700xt when it comes out.

As much as I have been screaming about how everyone should be buying AMD, we can't let them get away with any anti-consumer crap. Their latest drives fixed a lot of peoples complaints on the 7000 series but it took them nearly 6 months. They either need to get fixes out faster or they need to drop their prices to to account for the fact that "hey, you might be waiting a couple months for a fix"

I did hear from a reliable source that AMD will issue a significant price drop in February but we will see.

My 6700xt doesn't play Baulders Gate as well as I wish and I'm well over the 500 hour mark on that so I might upgrade if the price is right. I think of BG3 the same way as Oblivion. I played Oblivion for YEARS. Frankly, I still play it. So if the price is right I would upgrade to something that can do 4k120 because I know I'm going to drop years of my life into that game. But aside from that, I can do 4k60 in BG3 on my 6700xt with some optimization and I really dont feel like I'm missing out much. There are some places where it's obvious I'm making compromises but not as many as you would think if you take the time to adjust the settings. Self optimization is a skill I think is getting lost on modern gamers.

The 4090 shortage is just a way to create hype for the 5090 so that they sell at sky-high prices for the holidays in 2024.

Every 4090 could just be sold at a markup price to Chinese customers until recently. And apart from that, every AD102 with more usable cores can be sold for a whole lot more in a professional grade card. Nvidia is just supply constraint, right now, when it comes to high-end chips.

Almost a year , that got my 4090 at $1700 at MicroCenter , DLSS 3.5 only used it for two games , the rest of my games 120 lock at 4K , by the time I need to use it for all my games , it would be some time after that , when it is not enough , should be ready for a upgrade, just like my 1080Ti 2018 to 2023 .

The 3080 is still a fine card even with the DLSS BS they pulled with it. So long as they don't try to pull that again you might be able to skip the 50 series. With how newer games are I don't think it's worth paying top dollar to play them. Unless you want 4k120 with max settings I see upgrading from a 3080 hard to justify. At the same time, playing with the latest and greatest hardware is always fun even if you don't really game on it so I can respect that side of the hobby.
I do want 4K at 90+ fps at max settings. The cost for an improvement from the 3080 just isn’t really there with the 4000 series. It should be with the 5000 series but I’m hoping to pay xx70 pricing instead of xx80 pricing.

If DLSS is again their selling point I'll pass. They're gonna sell me a three-four year old tech with some gimmick upscaling and ask a steep price, because it's... new. Fk that! Give me improvement in native and cut the prices. Huang can play all the smug he wants with AI, at the end of the day, gaming cards are still around 20% of his revenues. Remarkably, they showed strong sales this year, which is odd for me, since I find the 4000s series utter crap, either by performance or price. I can only hope customers won't stay that dumb for long.

The 4000 series was poorly planned out. The current Supers coming up should have been the launch the cards and the prices all should have been at least $200 cheaper.

That said, DLSS 3 is actually good and launched in a better state than DLSS. So, it's not like nVidia didn't offer anything new.
A big part of the problem is Nvidia's market cap, an insane 1 trillion dollar market cap makes it bigger than Intel & AMD... COMBINED!

So to justify that valuation, they will continue to overcharge and ramp up prices on their GPUs. They have to show growth every quarter as a publicly traded company with such a huge market cap...and they're not gonna do that by selling cheap GPUs. They're simply too big now. Infact, it'd be better and more competitive for Nvidia to seperate their Gaming & AI/Data Centre divisions into seperate companies.

A big part of the problem is Nvidia's market cap, an insane 1 trillion dollar market cap makes it bigger than Intel & AMD... COMBINED!

So to justify that valuation, they will continue to overcharge and ramp up prices on their GPUs. They have to show growth every quarter as a publicly traded company with such a huge market cap...and they're not gonna do that by selling cheap GPUs. They're simply too big now. Infact, it'd be better and more competitive for Nvidia to seperate their Gaming & AI/Data Centre divisions into seperate companies.
So simply because the stock price×the number of shares =1 trillion dollars does not mean the company is actually worth a trillion dollars. While speculators are still likely to make money investing in nVidia stock, it's severely over valued and the bubble is going to pop within the next 18 months.

It's not an "accelerated release" when the LONGEST Nvidia goes between generations is 25 months (RTX 3000 - 4000 was the longest since 2000 at 25 months). In fact, if they waited until Q4, that would be a delayed release.

Nvidia needs to dump the 16pin nonsense, it failed. Stop having cards so big it needs support brackets, and stop guzzling power so much that Nvidia had to think of the 16pin nonsense.

Back