Nvidia claims upcoming Battlefield V update will boost RTX performance by 'up to' 50 percent

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Owners of Nvidia's RTX-series GPUs got their first taste of real-time ray tracing last month with the launch of Battlefield V. However, with RTX on, the game's performance plummeted by more than 50 percent; even on the company's flagship 2080 Ti. Now, Nvidia says an upcoming round of game updates will improve RTX performance by "up to" 50 percent.

Owners of Nvidia's latest RTX cards were finally able to take advantage of their main selling point last month when DICE rolled out real-time ray tracing features to Battlefield V.

If you're a regular reader of TechSpot, you may remember that we benchmarked the performance of Battlefield V with said features toggled on - unfortunately, the results were less than outstanding.

With RTX set to Ultra, our own Tim Schiesser saw Battlefield V's average FPS plummet from 150 all the way down to 49 at 1080p on Nvidia's flagship RTX 2080 Ti; with the game's other settings set to Ultra. Performance was better with RTX set to low, bumping the FPS up to an average of 72, but it was still more than a 50 percent performance hit.

Obviously, given the 2080 Ti's high price tag, that sort of performance is a hard pill for many customers to swallow. As such, Nvidia has set out to rectify the problem by working with EA and DICE to develop a number of Direct X Ray Tracing (DXR) fixes that could boost performance by "up to" 50 percent.

In terms of pure numbers, Nvidia says 2080 Ti users will be able to enjoy "over 60 FPS" at 1440p with DXR set to Ultra. For reference, our testing only allowed the 2080 Ti to reach around 34 FPS with the same settings.

These fixes are set to arrive on December 4 alongside a host of Battlefield V gameplay additions, including a "single-player War Story" and a new multiplayer map.

If you're reluctant to take Nvidia at its word, don't fret. We will likely be benchmarking the game again sometime this week to verify the company's claims ourselves.

Permalink to story.

And if nVidia fixes RTX cards from dying shortly after buying them, then RTX may become a viable proposal.

It is reported now that the full range of RTX cards are dying. Apparently, the top-end (2080 Ti-s) are affected most trying to use the platform's full potential, and that's why they were reported first. But even RTX 2070-s are reported to be dying as well.

Last edited:
I can imagine the fix, reduce RTX quality and don't apply it to everything
It's more than that... they don't apply it to thousands of objects that won't make good use of ray tracing and then apply more rays to things that do reflect for example. The "brute force" fix for quality would be simply increasing rays across the board but when you need to balance against GPU perf, you can just cull a lot of the ones that don't have a discernable visible impact.

And if nVidia fixes RTX cards from dying shortly after buying them, then RTX may become a viable proposal.

It is reported now that the full range of RTX cards are dying. Apparently, the top-end (2080 Ti-s) are affected most trying to use the platform's full potential, and that's why they were reported first. But even RTX 2070-s are reported to be dying as well.

The real question is, are the replacement cards dying?

I might test my 980 and let juang know how much boost this card will get. But it wont be for free. I will first need a large leather jacket to feel the power and wisdom of nvidia and bf5 as well for the test. If you read this, Huang, reply below to get my address.

Actually, the numbers released for failure rates are in check with other launches. This is getting sick much attention because 1) gamers are f***ing abnoxious idoits and 2) the price point of these cards has people angerier than they normally would be.

I've seen several articles and videos stating those same points, one of which was done by gamers Nexus which seems to be the new gold standard of tech news

Actually, the numbers released for failure rates are in check with other launches. This is getting sick much attention because 1) gamers are f***ing abnoxious idoits and 2) the price point of these cards has people angerier than they normally would be.

I've seen several articles and videos stating those same points, one of which was done by gamers Nexus which seems to be the new gold standard of tech news
I'm not saying you are wrong, but over at [H]ardOCP, two out of three of their RTX cards are dead
https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/11/21/rtx_2080_ti_fe_escapes_testing_by_dying_after_8_hours/
maybe just bad luck?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but over at [H]ardOCP, two out of three of their RTX cards are dead
https://m.hardocp.com/article/2018/11/21/rtx_2080_ti_fe_escapes_testing_by_dying_after_8_hours/
maybe just bad luck?
Or only the people having issues are posting - the rest are playing with their shiny new 2080 Ti's. It's just like restaurant reviews - you only have to have a slightly bad experience to post a negative review but you have to have a REALLY EXCELLENT experience to post a positive one. Throw in some anonymity and hundreds of thousands of random users and I bet the numbers get even worse.

Back