Nvidia launches the GTX 780 Ti, fully unlocks the GK110 core for $699

Scorpus

Staff member

Update: You may have seen this information pop up on TechSpot yesterday, which was the result of an embargo date mix-up. It has been republished at the correct time in its original form below.

If you thought the current flurry of graphics card launches was over, think again, as today Nvidia launched the GeForce GTX 780 Ti. Positioned as the top-tier graphics card in the GeForce 700 series, the GTX 780 Ti features a fully unlocked GK110 GPU core with all 2880 CUDA cores, 240 TMUs and 48 ROPs.

As well as bumping the amount of CUDA cores, the GTX 780 Ti sees higher clock speeds compared to the GTX Titan. The Titan's boost clock speed of 876 MHz becomes the 780 Ti's base core clock, with the GPU now coming with a 928 MHz boost. Memory-wise, the 780 Ti features 3 GB of 7,000 MHz effective GDDR5 VRAM on a 384-bit bus.

With these specification boosts, the GTX 780 Ti is expected to perform better than both the GTX Titan and the freshly-released AMD Radeon R9 290X, although it will come at a price. Starting tomorrow you'll be able to pick up a GTX 780 Ti for $699, which is $150 more than the R9 290X, $200 more than the GTX 780, and $300 more than the ultra-competitive Radeon R9 290.

The 780 Ti features two DVI ports, a HDMI port and a DisplayPort, like most other GeForce 700 series GPUs, and requires a 6+8pin PCIe power connector. All the usual APIs, including DirectX 11.2, OpenGL 4.4, PhysX, Surround and 3D Vision, are supported by the flagship card.

While we don't have a review of this card ready just yet, stay tuned as the fastest single-GPU Nvidia-made card, and likely the fastest single-GPU card overall, hits our test bed in the coming days.

Permalink to story.

Please have a gtx 690 on the list of graphics cards early benchmarks still shows the gtx 690 single best nvidia graphics card even with this beast. My 17 month old gtx 690 stable 17 month oc gets x5600 on firestrike vs x5600 on 300mhz oc on the gtx 780ti.
If the benchmarks are are better than my stable oc I will look to upgrade.

Holy hot ****, 2880 Cuda Cores, that's way higher than was expected by everyone to be like 2600 Cores in between the Titan. This is going to be epic, but at a price, now im really anxious to see how much better it performs than the titan which is officially dead as of tomorrow unless they knock some green off the price tag.

Though at a 700 buck price point, that's going to be a tough sell unless its got at least a 15% or more bump in performance. Now im having second thoughts about the getting the 290X depending on how powerful this is!

Can this really even be called a 780ti, besides the drop in VRAM from a titan, this is more like a titan ti. :p

Yes, please have a gtx 690 in the list when you compare!
thank you!

Please have a HD5850 in the list when you compare!
Haha. That card is so good - I'm struggling to find a newer card that significantly outperforms it while remaining cool and quiet for under 200 euro. But there seems to be a lot of movement lately in graphics card releases so maybe it's time to finally upgrade.
Then again, I play on 1680x1050 so I won't use the extra horsepower of newer cards. And we're still on DirectX 11 so there have been no advancements there. I guess I'll wait until DirectX 12 comes out. Or until somebody buys me a 30 inch monitor. Or 2.

What's so good about these new cards for a low-end user like myself? Is there really much of an improvement?

Holy hot ****, 2880 Cuda Cores, that's way higher than was expected by everyone to be like 2600 Cores in between the Titan. This is going to be epic, but at a price, now im really anxious to see how much better it performs than the titan which is officially dead as of tomorrow unless they knock some green off the price tag.

Though at a 700 buck price point, that's going to be a tough sell unless its got at least a 15% or more bump in performance. Now im having second thoughts about the getting the 290X depending on how powerful this is!

Can this really even be called a 780ti, besides the drop in VRAM from a titan, this is more like a titan ti. :p

Well the Titan still has a few tricks up it's sleeve, but for gaming, yep, it's really not worth it, hell it hasn't been since the 780 arrived.

Linus has done a review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1JOhT015ww

It does blow everything else out the water so it's price is at least justified if a little bit expensive, Still stays cool and quiet and seems it overclocks very well, I believe they got it (easily) to 1.3GHz on the core using the stock cooler! Eats more power than the titan and 780 (Obviously) but still less than the 290 series.

Overall, I want one and plan on getting one ASAP! xD

Burty117 Yea just saw it a bit ago, looks like a good card better than what was expected to be honest. One thing that bugged me was they said in the doc they attach that the overclock results would be there yet I did not see one for the 780ti (If I missed it point it out lol). The problem with that test is that they can get the 290 overclocked and the 290x is not overclocking well for them (probably a heat constraint) so were really not getting a good comparison there for the performance between them (I mean in some test the 290 was beating its big brother x variant because of the higher overclock achieved).

Its a great card for sure, im now going to sit this one over and think about the cost's to performance when buying 2 and grabbing blocks plus its performance in 3 monitor gaming. I may go ahead and switch back to NVidia if I can justify the price, but im still wanting more information before I pull the trigger.

It does blow everything else out the water so it's price is at least justified if a little bit expensive
That's always been the case with the top dog card. It will carry a premium based solely on that fact
Still stays cool and quiet and seems it overclocks very well, I believe they got it (easily) to 1.3GHz on the core using the stock cooler! Eats more power than the titan and 780 (Obviously) but still less than the 290 series.
Yup. The new power balancing feature and split phase power delivery are likely offering a cleaner and more precise current. The 780 Ti also has software for increasing voltage of the NCP4206 voltage controller (previously a software mod or the province of the 780 Classified and Lightning).
Without any additional voltage 1100-1200MHz seems the range ( 1120/1173 at TPU, 1161/1213 at OCC, 1075/1205-1276 at G3D, 1100/1152-1230 at bit-tech for example)
Here's PCGH's everything overclocked comparison
Geforce_GTX_780_Ti_Review_Overclocking_Benchmark_Battlefield_4-pcgh.png

Overall, I want one and plan on getting one ASAP! xD
I think I'll join you. I had planned on getting GTX 780 Classified's but the 780 Ti version appeals more now. The 14+2+1 phase (up from reference 6+2+1), dual 8-pin power, and I expect at the very least, the Classified's 1.3v voltage allowance should ensure that my credit card needs to go onto life support very soon. Also rumoured that EVGA will produce a 6GB version of the Classified :eek:

110 degrees? its ok thats normal. they swear.
The good news is you can spend the money you WOULD spend powering your heater this winter on your graphics card and on powering instead. Whenever you get cold, you can just run a stress test.

nVidia seem to be doing a better job when it comes to efficiency. Their GPUs usually consume less power than their AMD counter parts, and definitely have better stock coolers. However I think the price is a bit much. An R9 290X + aftermarket cooler will still cost less than a 780Ti. I personally am waiting for OC version of R9 290 with Windforce.
Even if the price of the normal 780 was equal to the 290 I cannot ignore the potential of Mantle. Still I will reserve finale judgement for when the Mantle update of Battlefield 4 arrives to decide.
Anyways heads off to AMD for starting a price and performance war... one can only hope they can start making decent CPUs soon too.

Anandtechs 780ti review is up, it's 20% faster then a standard 780 and 11% faster then a 290X.

Anandtechs 780ti review is up, it's 20% faster then a standard 780 and 11% faster then a 290X.

Plus eats slightly less power and is considerably cooler and quieter and still managed a fairly decent overclock, I AM getting one xD

Burty117
I'd suggest maybe holding out until the end of the month. The stock cooler on the 780 Ti is causing the card to throttle - not as badly as the 290/290X, but it is noticeable depending on the ambient temp and chassis airflow.
ComputerBase has a review of the first vendor OC'ed cards. The Gigabyte Windforce 3 looks very solid. Normally I'd look at the price and say that for £100 more, a R9-290 CrossfireX beats the 780Ti into a cocked hat, but the black screen issue that seems to be popping up with these cards is a bit of a worry. Until AMD speak up about it - whether it be bad memory IC's, BIOS, or PowerTune, I would steer clear of them for the time being.

Burty117
I'd suggest maybe holding out until the end of the month. The stock cooler on the 780 Ti is causing the card to throttle - not as badly as the 290/290X, but it is noticeable depending on the ambient temp and chassis airflow.
ComputerBase has a review of the first vendor OC'ed cards. The Gigabyte Windforce 3 looks very solid. Normally I'd look at the price and say that for £100 more, a R9-290 CrossfireX beats the 780Ti into a cocked hat, but the black screen issue that seems to be popping up with these cards is a bit of a worry. Until AMD speak up about it - whether it be bad memory IC's, BIOS, or PowerTune, I would steer clear of them for the time being.

But I hate coolers like the Windforce 3, why can't these vendors make coolers that blow out of the case instead of inside :( and I've got a window on the side of my case and the current light in the 780 looks epic! How much is it throttling back?

The throttling isn't too severe at stock clocks/voltage:
From Hardware France:
The GeForce GTX 780 operates between 863 and 915 MHz, with an average of 876 MHz, against a maximum frequency of 1006 MHz. As for the GTX 780 Ti, its frequency varies between 876 and 967 MHz for an average of 915 MHz, whereas our sample can rise up to 1019 MHz.
928MHz is the minimum boost speed, so 915MHz average isn't too bad considering the card was pre-heated before testing. A manually set fan profile would make the throttling a non-issue at the expense of an increase in sound.
W1zzard at TPU reported an average clockspeed of 993MHz with the stock cooler so you aren't losing any actual performace by sticking with the reference blower over a proprietary air cooled solution assuming adequate airflow.
clock_vs_voltage.jpg

Oooww ok, that's fine with me, I've got plenty of airflow in my case so that's not too much of an issue and I already use a custom fan profile for my 780 when I have it beyond 1.1GHz anyway so I'm used to that, still pretty quiet in my case xD

Back