Nvidia slashes GeForce GTX 780, 770 prices as it preps for GTX 780 Ti launch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nvidia gtx gpu price cuts gtx 770 gtx 780 ti gtx 780

Earlier today we reported that Nvidia has added ShadowPlay support to its GeForce Experience software and now we are hearing the GPU maker has slashed the price of some of their high-end GTX 700-series graphics cards and announced a release date for the GTX 780 Ti. Busy day at Nvidia, eh?

The suggested retail price for the GeForce GTX 780 will dropped from $649 to $499 while the GTX 770 will soon sell for $329 versus the previous $399 asking price. The cuts are expected to go into effect starting at 6 a.m. on October 29 so if you are in the market for either of these cards, just wait a day and save yourself enough money to buy some new games on Nvidia’s dime.

The price breaks will position Nvidia’s top cards to better compete with new Radeon hardware from AMD. For example, the GTX 780 will soon serve as a solid alternative to the R9 290X GPU in terms of performance for the dollar. And if that weren’t enough, the GTX 780 and 770 also ship with a free copy of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Batman: Arkham Origins and Splinter Cell: Blacklist and a $100 off coupon for a Shield handheld gaming system.

Elsewhere, Nvidia said the GTX 780 Ti (expected to be a faster version of the GTX Titan) will arrive on November 7 priced at $699 and will ship with the same games bundle and Shield coupon as the GTX 780 and 770.

Permalink to story.

Anyone who bought into the 700 series is gonna be kicking themselves now, poor suckers. But what do you expect, AMD actually came out with a product that competes.

Good news for all those interested with that budget. I'll wait for the 800 series to buy 2 GTX 870s after 2-4 months from release (after waiting for price adjustment and competition launches).

Anyone who bought into the 700 series is gonna be kicking themselves now, poor suckers. But what do you expect, AMD actually came out with a product that competes.
It's hardly a vendor specific trait. The HD 7990 got a $300 price cut just over three months after its introduction, and the 7970GE isn't all that much older than the GTX770 (younger if you take the rebranded 280X into account). You do remember that the 7970GE was priced at $499 a little over a year ago, and that the 280X (the rebranded 7970) is now $299?

If product depreciation defines "sucker", then guess what? Anyone who purchases computer gear falls into that category. Commoditization and designed obsolescence means that you can guarantee that unless you bought (and held on to) an Apple I we're all going to take a hit to the wallet.

Kinda yes, although I had 460 that died on me and was using some multi-display 290Quadro card for my purposes. That said, I should have bought 660/650 until AMD released something (ie the 200 series) which at that point I would have heard about the 780ti.

Oh well, I guess il pop another 780 by January. (I doubt we can SLI 780 and 780ti though, right?)

Either the profit margins on these high-end cards is really good or there are a LOT more people running serious gaming PCs than the industry would have us believe.

Hmmm...I may be interested in the 780 Ti, especially after some 3rd party vendors get a hold of it and tweak it even more. I just love giving myself Christmas gifts. ;)

It's hardly a vendor specific trait. The HD 7990 got a $300 price cut just over three months after its introduction, and the 7970GE isn't all that much older than the GTX770 (younger if you take the rebranded 280X into account). You do remember that the 7970GE was priced at $499 a little over a year ago, and that the 280X (the rebranded 7970) is now $299?.

And the GTX 770 is a re-branded 680 from March 2012, which was selling for $400+ all summer, where as the 7970, introduced in Jan 2012 is actually the older card, they can change the name all they want, doesn't make the card any faster. It's been pretty standard practice for both companies for the last couple years. The 7990 falls into the stupidly expensive category, like the Titan, unlike the Titan its price got appropriately adjusted, my thoughts is because no one wanted the headache of having a $1000 gpu xfire bs sandwich.

As for the suckers, I was referring to anyone who bought new Nvidia hardware in the last month or so after AMD rolled out with their re-named cards.

So the Titan is dead? Also, that GTX 770 is a bargain! Sucks for anyone who bought a 780 before this.

And the GTX 770 is a re-branded 680 from March 2012, which was selling for $400+ all summer, where as the 7970, introduced in Jan 2012 is actually the older card
Very true. Let's use it as an example...
As for the suckers, I was referring to anyone who bought new Nvidia hardware in the last month or so after AMD rolled out with their re-named cards.
In the month prior to April 16, 2012, HD 7970 "suckers" paid $549 for their card- 16 Apl price $479
In the month prior to July 16, 2012, HD 7970 "suckers" paid $479 for their card- 16 July price $429
In the month prior to Sept.13, 2012, HD 7970GE "suckers" paid $499 for their card- 13 Sept price $430 ($410 for the vanilla 7970- or 25% in price cuts over five months)
they can change the name all they want, doesn't make the card any faster.
In the case of the 7970, 7970GE, and 280X you basically got nil difference between the first two iterations ( the higher clocks of the GE can be reached by the vanilla card with less voltage applied manually), and the 280X is actually a worse card than the GE (lower OC headroom) price excepted.
So the Titan is dead?
I think Titan has been at EOL (or close to it) for a while. The only market that it has sold to since the 780 dropped are to people who need the 6GB frame buffer for graphics visualization but don't need the Quadro pro environment (or its price tag).

I think Titan has been at EOL (or close to it) for a while. The only market that it has sold to since the 780 dropped are to people who need the 6GB frame buffer for graphics visualization but don't need the Quadro pro environment (or its price tag).

Or *****s who know nothing about hardware, yet buy the most expensive model available for 'brag rights'. Lol.

That's quite a big price increase over the R9 290x for the GTX 780Ti, I hope this thing is a bigger improvement than I first thought to justify that (considerable) price increase over the 290x.

That's quite a big price increase over the R9 290x for the GTX 780Ti, I hope this thing is a bigger improvement than I first thought to justify that (considerable) price increase over the 290x.
Probably not. The top tier part regardless of vendor seldom has the performance-per-dollar of those parts below it. My guess would be Titan + ~7-10%...and since you can already do better than that with a mild overclock of a $550 vendor special like the MSI GTX 780 Lightning (which incidentally, actually stacks up pretty well against a $580 R9-290X), I'm thinking that the 780 Ti won't be great value for money by comparison.

Probably not. The top tier part regardless of vendor seldom has the performance-per-dollar of those parts below it. My guess would be Titan + ~7-10%...and since you can already do better than that with a mild overclock of a $550 vendor special like the MSI GTX 780 Lightning (which incidentally, actually stacks up pretty well against a $580 R9-290X), I'm thinking that the 780 Ti won't be great value for money by comparison.

ooowww :'( For once, I hope your wrong, I'm not going to put much hope to it though :(

Or *****s who know nothing about hardware, yet buy the most expensive model available for 'brag rights'. Lol.
Actually, there's another reason - double precision compute performance that approached that of Tesla cards. If the other cards have DP compute performance that matches - and the AMD 290 does not, IIRC, nor do any other nVidia cards, yet. We'll see what the 780 Ti does with DP compute benchmarks before Titan is declared dead. Yet there should be a price drop as it will be a hard sell even, I think, to the DP compute crowd.

Either the profit margins on these high-end cards is really good or there are a LOT more people running serious gaming PCs than the industry would have us believe.
Profit margins on "unequalled" cards are always huge. Teslas are non-crippled Titans that probably only offer marginally better performance than Titan, however, they cost 2x - 3x what Titan does.

For that matter, "pro" graphics cards are always the same silicon as non-pro cards yet they have "tweaked" drivers that remove the limits that are in consumer drivers and an "army" of support personnel that are supposed to make the cards worth the price. IMHO, it is all marketing BS to deceive the unwary buyer into paying far, far, far more than they should. But - it works. IMHO, the real dummies out there are those who pay "pro" prices whether Teslas or pro graphics cards. Except in rare instances, IMHO, they are not worth the price.

May have just found a reason to ditch my 560 Ti for a 770. But while it's still pricey, the 780 price is still attractive.

Good old Australia. :D MSI pushed a price drop through to retailers - $100 off! Woo, GTX 780 now costs $630, the same as what it cost in US before the drop haha. :(

ooowww :'( For once, I hope your wrong, I'm not going to put much hope to it though :(
Well, the scuttlebutt is now that the 780 Ti will be a fully enabled GK110. Conservative clocks once again, but since the 876MHz guaranteed boost ended up being 992MHz for most shipping cards, then the 780 Ti might well boost past 1GHz. The 7GHz effective memory is a nice addition.

Keen to see what 17% more internal bandwidth, 7% more shaders, and a bump in core speed equates to in real world gamin. Might have to wait until the AIB's start cranking up the clocks to get some real separation between the Titan and OC'ed 780.

Well, the scuttlebutt is now that the 780 Ti will be a fully enabled GK110. Conservative clocks once again, but since the 876MHz guaranteed boost ended up being 992MHz for most shipping cards, then the 780 Ti might well boost past 1GHz. The 7GHz effective memory is a nice addition.

Keen to see what 17% more internal bandwidth, 7% more shaders, and a bump in core speed equates to in real world gamin. Might have to wait until the AIB's start cranking up the clocks to get some real separation between the Titan and OC'ed 780.

All you've done is convince me to get the 780Ti now, I was using a GTX 285 before I got my 780 and that card had lasted me a (very) long time, The fact I can re-sell it for it's current asking price means money isn't really my issue, I kinda want something that'll last me equally as long as the 285 did and I like the sound of a fully unlocked GK110 that is also clocked higher (and if it overclocks as well as the 780 does, well that's icing on the cake for me).

All you've done is convince me to get the 780Ti now...
I think I'm trying to convince myself also. I picked up an EVGA 780 SuperClocked (ACX) for cheap ($US425) - and was about to pull the trigger on a second SC w/XSPC waterblock attached. Think I'll likely sell the 780 SC without doing any more than testing the card for overclockability (for a better resell price) if the 780Ti arrives with a beefier VRM.

EDIT: If the rumoured Black Edition (1000 Core/1033boost/7008mem) with 6GB and 12GB of VRAM and an unlocked voltage option comes to pass, I think I may have found my new toy.

Back