Nvidia to end support for mobile Kepler GPUs starting April 2019

onetheycallEric

Staff
Why it matters: Nvidia is signaling the end of its Kepler architecture that debuted in 2012 with the GTX 600-series parts. Driver development and support will end for the Kepler mobile parts beginning April 2019, but Nvidia will deliver critical security updates through April 2020. For now, Kepler's desktop parts will continue to receive full support, marking the first time Nvidia has demarcated an architecture retirement. Presumably, dropping game ready support for the aging cards means Nvidia can focus on newer hardware.

It appears the sun is setting on Nvidia's Kepler architecture, set to begin in April 2019 with the Kepler-based mobile GPUs. First debuting in 2012, the Kepler architecture powered Nvidia's GTX 600-series of desktop graphics cards, and notebook GPUs ranging from the 600M series, all the way up to the 900M series.

Nvidia recently updated a knowledge base article detailing support plans for mobile Kepler GPUs, and that it would continue to deliver game ready driver updates, including performance enhancements, new features, and bug fixes to only Maxwell, Pascal, and Turing-based notebook GPUs. Effective April 2019, mobile Kepler GPUs will only receive critical security updates, marking the beginning of Kepler's trot into legacy status.

The critical security updates will see the mobile Kepler parts through April of 2020. After that, we can assume Nvidia will officially abandon the products.

For the time being, desktop parts based on Kepler remain unaffected; however, Nvidia hasn't stated for how long. This is the first time Nvidia has staggered the retirement of an architecture, whereas previously it preferred to close the doors on driver development and support for an architecture all at once. Kepler has powered a slew of mobile GPUs, as they weren't limited to the 600M series; this list details all of the notebook parts based on the Kepler architecture.

As an aside, Nvidia will also move 3D Vision products into legacy status beginning April 2019. They too, will receive a year of critical update support, ending in April 2020. According to Nvidia, "Those looking to utilize 3D Vision can remain on a Release 418 driver," and "software that enables the use of 3D gaming with 3D TVs, 3DTV Play, is now included for free in Release 418. It is no longer available as a standalone download. Our 3D Vision Video Player will continue to be offered as a standalone download, for free, until the end of 2019."

Permalink to story.

Huh. Usually nvidia is better about driver updates. I mean, they are still supporting the arch, just not on mobile. Why create unnecessary work like this?

I'll bet newer drivers will be ported by the community for years with no ill effects, and nvidia is doing this in an attempt to increase mobile GPU sales of RTX.

My dual 880s I my Alienware 18 are showing their age.... will have to look into getting 980s maybe...

Just dumped mine, same machine. Got enough money back to cover the purchase of the replacement.

AW18s were never happy running dual 980Ms with a single 330W supply. That will be a costly upgrade. For some of the earlier AW17s, the 880M is the max GPU that platform can handle (forgotten why), so strike whilst the 2nd hand market is still hot.

Look for a GTX1070M, - that one that does not require an extra power cable - that slots right on in. Others have extra power connectors, or physical tabs that prevent normal MXM 3.0b insertion. Your existing heatsink will be fine.

You'll need the latest unlocked (hacked) bios, to avoid issues running the Nvidia graphics driver installer. If you don't feel you are up to that, then you need to modify the .inf file and that is a PIA.

I have not seen any RTX mobile series for sale yet, but why would you....

Last edited:
Just dumped mine, same machine. Got enough money back to cover the purchase of the replacement.

AW18s were never happy running dual 980Ms with a single 330W supply. That will be a costly upgrade. For some of the earlier AW17s, the 880M is the max GPU that platform can handle (forgotten why), so strike whilst the 2nd hand market is still hot.

Look for a GTX1070M, - that one that does not require an extra power cable - that slots right on in. Others have extra power connectors, or physical tabs that prevent normal MXM 3.0b insertion. Your existing heatsink will be fine.

You'll need the latest unlocked (hacked) bios, to avoid issues running the Nvidia graphics driver installer. If you don't feel you are up to that, then you need to modify the .inf file and that is a PIA.

MSI and Alienware have a 2060 and 2070 at Best Buy on display. They arent cheap. Other manufacturers will also release more rtx for laptops soon.

This is the 18, not the 17... has dual video cards... you need to have the 100w heat sink in order to upgrade to dual 980m (which I do have). I don’t think the 18 can fit dual 1070 cards - obviously that would be preferable if it was possible... might just sell the whole laptop and replace with an Asus or MSI gaming laptop... but I’d miss it!

This is the 18, not the 17... has dual video cards... you need to have the 100w heat sink in order to upgrade to dual 980m (which I do have). I don’t think the 18 can fit dual 1070 cards - obviously that would be preferable if it was possible... might just sell the whole laptop and replace with an Asus or MSI gaming laptop... but I’d miss it!

*deep breath*

Squid & texasrattle - please RE-read my statement.

I said same machine, meaning I also have AW18, which had dual video cards also. Dumping my two old GPUs, paid for one 1070M. And I'm very happy for it.

I knew you had 100W heatsink, as you said you had 880Ms, hence my GPU recommendation.

I merely mentioned the AW17, as I said before, one of the earlier platforms, can take ONLY 880M max. Therefore, now is a good time to sell, unless you don't like money.

AS for the other information... there are newer 1070Ms WITH SLi connectors. But you'd need to buy those GPUs brand new at great cost. I think Xotic PC might have them, not sure / don't care. Not sure how that will work with Optimus, but again, don't't care either. But you can fit and run two 1070Ms, I just do not know how they will run together (SLi specifically), if at all.

Additionally, I agree, the 18.4" screen is the bomb, the 17.3"ers do not look the same. Look before you buy.

texas - I did not say that Mobile RTX laptops were not shipping, I said I've not seen RTX cards for sale. The mobile ones, since we are discussing laptops....

Finally, I don't see why you need more than 1070M for 1080p. If using an external higher-res monitor, then sure.... go higher GPU, if not don't waste your time / money.

*releases breath*

*deep breath*

Squid & texasrattle - please RE-read my statement.

I said same machine, meaning I also have AW18, which had dual video cards also. Dumping my two old GPUs, paid for one 1070M. And I'm very happy for it.

I knew you had 100W heatsink, as you said you had 880Ms, hence my GPU recommendation.

I merely mentioned the AW17, as I said before, one of the earlier platforms, can take ONLY 880M max. Therefore, now is a good time to sell, unless you don't like money.

AS for the other information... there are newer 1070Ms WITH SLi connectors. But you'd need to buy those GPUs brand new at great cost. I think Xotic PC might have them, not sure / don't care. Not sure how that will work with Optimus, but again, don't't care either. But you can fit and run two 1070Ms, I just do not know how they will run together (SLi specifically), if at all.

Additionally, I agree, the 18.4" screen is the bomb, the 17.3"ers do not look the same. Look before you buy.

texas - I did not say that Mobile RTX laptops were not shipping, I said I've not seen RTX cards for sale. The mobile ones, since we are discussing laptops....

Finally, I don't see why you need more than 1070M for 1080p. If using an external higher-res monitor, then sure.... go higher GPU, if not don't waste your time / money.

*releases breath*
I don’t see the need for a single 1070 though.... dual 880s outperform one.... while I could make some money selling the cards, I know from experience that installing and removing GPUs from this laptop isn’t fun.... If I was going to go that route, I’d sell the whole laptop and replace with an RTX 2080 laptop...

I don’t see the need for a single 1070 though.... dual 880s outperform one.... while I could make some money selling the cards, I know from experience that installing and removing GPUs from this laptop isn’t fun.... If I was going to go that route, I’d sell the whole laptop and replace with an RTX 2080 laptop...

Maybe overclocked to death they do, but not in standard trim.

My laptop is my daily driver, I am not able to sustain a continuous overclock, and thus I do not overclock my laptop GPUs 99.99% of the time.

Here is my 1070M.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/13014846

If your 880Ms run faster than that every day, without issue, more power to ya.

There are 880M 4 GB versions, that are still highly capable. I mean I know Kepler aged horrendously, but if desktop cards still have support, why drop laptops.

I don’t see the need for a single 1070 though.... dual 880s outperform one

Nope.

A 1070 is slightly under two desktop 290X/390 or two 970.
880M is slower than a desktop 280X. Also I know from personal tests a 970M (which is slower than a desktop 970) is about on par with a desktop 280X. Hell, nowadays, a desktop 780 is under a 280X.

Two 880M with perfect SLI scaling is still vastly slower than desktop 1070, mobile 1070 and even 1070 MaxQ. About half a 1070 MaxQ actually.

Back