Nvidia's BFGDs are the 65-inch, 120Hz, G-Sync HDR monitors of your dreams

midian182

Staff member

PC gaming on a massive home TV can be great, but there are drawbacks to using them. It often involves moving a PC into the living room and the televisions lack features such as variable refresh rates. At CES yesterday, however, Nvidia revealed it is bringing together the best of both these worlds in its Big Format Gaming Displays, aka BFGDs.

Working with Acer, Asus, and HP, Nvidia is taking all the best features you would find in a high-end monitor and integrating them into the 65-inch displays. Not only do they feature 4K resolutions, 120Hz refresh rates, HDR support, and G-Sync for “buttery-smooth,” tear-free gameplay, but you also get Nvidia’s Android TV-based shield TV with Google assistant support built-in. There’s even a bundled remote and game controller.

While they don’t come with built-in TV tuners, the shield integration does allow the use of streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon. It supports video playback at common native framerates, including 23.976, 24, 25, and 48fps formats. “This matches the screen’s refresh rate to the video source’s actual frame rate, eliminating interpolation and presenting the video content as it was intended to be viewed by the director,” said Nvidia.

The BFGDs also come with a peak luminance of 1000 nits, a full-array direct backlight, and DCI-P3 color gamut. Some of the first models announced are Acer’s Predator BFGD, Asus’ ROG Swift PG65, and HP’s Omen X 65 BFGD.

“PC gamers expect high performance and instant response times, but, until now, they’ve been largely limited to traditional desktop displays,” said Matt Wuebbling, NVIDIA’s head of GeForce marketing. “BFGDs change that. With NVIDIA’s latest technology built into these new displays, PC gamers can now experience their favorite titles in all the low-latency glory they deserve.”

Getting the most out of a BFGD monitor will require a beefy graphics card, of course, but they sound ideal for people with deep pockets who want to be totally immersed in their games.

The first BFGD displays go on sale this summer, which is when the prices will be announced. Don’t expect them to be cheap.

Permalink to story.

From my own experience... the point of when you have to turn your head a lot to be able to see different parts of the screen is when you lose the comfort of using it, especially in the long run.

So I don't know who's dream this monitor is, nightmare in mine.

From my own experience... the point of when you have to turn your head a lot to be able to see different parts of the screen is when you lose the comfort of using it, especially in the long run.
I agree. I have a 65" TV I use as a monitor for productivity reasons, but it gets annoying depending on the game. I wouldn't want to go any bigger than 50-55". I will say that when playing RPG's the ability to "naturally" look around helps with immersion. I usually play with an FOV of 130 and sit about 3-4 feet back.

If I could do it over again I would definitely get something smaller. I will say it's lovely for movies! and, TBH, in game mode I never notice latency issues over my smaller 23" monitor. Maybe I'm just starting to get old!

65" TV in a living room is great but 65" monitor is a ridiculous idea. I've no idea who would need such a big monitor. The only exception may be people with a racing seat and steering wheel who play racers on a PC.

65" TV in a living room is great but 65" monitor is a ridiculous idea. I've no idea who would need such a big monitor. The only exception may be people with a racing seat and steering wheel who play racers on a PC.
I often have 6 windows open at once while I'm working. I also sometimes like to stream something on netflix in one window while I work in the other 5. It's like having 6 ~20 inch monitors without a bezel.

Nividia might think it can dominate the monitor market by tying all display to their GPUs, but I was %100 certain that once HDMI 2.1 with it's open standard variable refresh rate comes out in a year and be available to any HDMI compliant display, it's going to be in all TVs and Nvidia will finally join the fray.

Now these sons o' guns are making their own TVs? they're not gonna let this G-sync thing go away will they?

Nividia might think it can dominate the monitor market by tying all display to their GPUs, but I was %100 certain that once HDMI 2.1 with it's open standard variable refresh rate comes out in a year and be available to any HDMI compliant display, it's going to be in all TVs and Nvidia will finally join the fray.

Now these sons o' guns are making their own TVs? they're not gonna let this G-sync thing go away will they?
I think this is more about low latency large displays than it is about G-sync. Although I sure making money off of G-sync influenced their decision. My TV gets about 15ms in gamemode which is fine for me, I hardly play games anymore and when I do they're single player strategy games

I agree. I have a 65" TV I use as a monitor for productivity reasons, but it gets annoying depending on the game. I wouldn't want to go any bigger than 50-55". I will say that when playing RPG's the ability to "naturally" look around helps with immersion. I usually play with an FOV of 130 and sit about 3-4 feet back.

If I could do it over again I would definitely get something smaller. I will say it's lovely for movies! and, TBH, in game mode I never notice latency issues over my smaller 23" monitor. Maybe I'm just starting to get old!

I'll third this. While I love the 65" in my living room, and don't have much of a problem gaming on it with the PS4, XBone and Switch, it isn't nearly as comfortable to game on as the 37 connected to my gaming rig. As you said, the more you have to move your head, the more difficult and uncomfortable it is to game.

Last edited:
I presume this is meant only for the living room. Because a massive 65" screen, without a curve, 2-3 feet from your face sounds like a pain in the neck.

I presume this is meant only for the living room. Because a massive 65" screen, without a curve, 2-3 feet from your face sounds like a pain in the neck.
I can attest to the fact that a curve would do wonders when using a 65" as a monitor. However, it's not for the reason you think. When you're sitting that close light shifts from the center of the screen to edges. I usually sit around 4 feet back when gaming but for productivity I just roll from left to right in my chair to focus on whatever second of the screen I'm working on. I have a 6" desk shell for that purpose alone. lots of leg room and it's nice to have a space heater under there in this cold weather!

I'm excited for Nvidia to build monitors like this.

I'd really like to see them build a curved widescreen to compete with Samsung's
Samsung LC49HG90 49".

But if they want to build "TV's" that can be comfortably used as monitors, I'd say the best sizes to focus on are 40", 50" and 60". Playing on a really big "TV" can be problematic and uncomfortable.

I'm more interested in whether or not they'll bundle these with video cards.

Or: what kind of performance can I get on one of these monitors using my desktop with a 1080 or my home gaming rig with a Titan Xp?

I'm excited for Nvidia to build monitors like this.

I'd really like to see them build a curved widescreen to compete with Samsung's
Samsung LC49HG90 49".

But if they want to build "TV's" that can be comfortably used as monitors, I'd say the best sizes to focus on are 40", 50" and 60". Playing on a really big "TV" can be problematic and uncomfortable.

I'm more interested in whether or not they'll bundle these with video cards.

Or: what kind of performance can I get on one of these monitors using my desktop with a 1080 or my home gaming rig with a Titan Xp?
When I only had 1 1080Ti and I had almost no problem playing everything at max settings in 4k. biggest decision that went into the purchase of a second 1080Ti was cryptocurrency mining. They payed for themselves in 3-4 months

65" has it's advantages. If you don't want to have to pay for two displays it makes sense. My PC IS my hometheater

So I don't know who's dream this monitor is, nightmare in mine.

I definitely agree with you. Upgraded from a 42" to a 50" in my bedroom a while back. I had to sit further from the TV to avoid being forced to turn my head. More dept-of-field view, but definitely not as comfortable.

Back