NZXT Gamma

Status
Not open for further replies.
OCC thought it was ok
Hardware Secrets like it, as did Benchmark Reviews and OCIA and BCC Hardware
and a Youtube review to round it out

The chassis looks fine. You would probably want to buy at least one very good fan (Scythe or Noctua if sound level is important), or 2 moderately good fans to improve the airflow and from scaling out the interior I'd say that any of the larger graphics cards (GTX260-295, HD5850-5970) are not going to fit too well. Any card in the mainstream category would fit well.

Thanks dbz. I also have another question.

What rating should the intake fans be? I mean is there something in wattage or how do you know that say a couple of these fans installed will give your chassis positive pressure?

Also, where are intake fans typically installed? Is it like you can install them anywhere or are there specific spots like on the side or on top or in the front?

Similarly for exhaust fans what rating should I buy and where in the chassis should it be installed?

Ideally a front fan and rear exhaust fan will give you front to back cooling which will cool the harddrive(s) as well as the majority of the system. I would look at a good branded fan of 60+ cfm for each.
Adding a side intake fan can help cool the graphics card and motherboard chipset. If you are adding a fan there then I would also look at the same cfm rating.
Ideally the case should have positive air pressure- i.e. slightly more air coming into the case than being exhausted as this will stop air being drawn into the chassis through gaps in the case that are unfiltered ( between case panels and drive bay covers etc.). If mounting fans in the top panel of the case then they should be of lower cfm than the intake fans- personally I wouldn't bother if you have a very good intake and exhaust fan setup.

As for Ritwik's suggestion; the CM690 is the better chassis- layout and build quality are a little better. Again , I wouldn't worry too much about the extra case fan slots as too many fans can cause turbulance and crossflow within the chassis detrimental to the cooling you are trying to achieve. They also cause cable management hassles and add unnecessary noise.

I gathered from an earlier thread that you were having trouble sourcing a CM690, if this is correct then the Gamma makes a good substitute.

Hey Thanks dbz. I am thinking of using nzxt gamma and getting a Front fan with a say 90cfm and a side panel fan of about the same rating for intake. I am planning say 50cfm exhaust fans for the top and the rear. How does this sound?

Also, will coolermaster fans be good?

The Coolermaster fans are ok. Not great but better than a lot of budget fans.
They use rifle or sleeve bearings and can get louder as they wear.
Ball bearing fans are quieter (and last longer), while fluid and magnetic bearings make for the best fans but are very much more expensive
The CoolerMaster fans will generally push a fair amount of air, although you may notice the sound of them running.
If you want to quieten them at a later stage you can always buy a rheostat fan controller to adjust their fan speed (and thus noise level), or you can mod the fans for 7v or 5v operation easily enough. Both options are fairly cheap to implement.

I'd probably go 90cfm front, 90cfm rear, 50cfm side and top especially if you have a CPU cooler with the fan facing the front of the case. That way the main airflow is front-to-back.
If you have a high cfm fan on the side panel but a weaker rear fan then you could end up with warm air swirling around the motherboard area.
You can experiment with fan layout if you are planning on getting 2 fans of each cfm rating by checking tempretures using your motherboard and graphics card hardware monitoring utilities and free software such as CoreTemp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back