Occasional no POST - P6T

EXCellR8

I've been enjoying my new i7 computer for a couple of months now but there is one lingering problem I can't seem fix, or diagnose for that matter. Every once in awhile the computer will not POST from a cold start. This only happens when the computer is turned completely off and then back on the next day or so. I'd say this occurs maybe 1 out of every 8-10 startups. The speaker will not sound and the board will not POST until I tap the reset button--which isn't a huge deal but it's not right.

I've looked over the BIOS a few times and everything is fine. The system is highly overclocked but is perfectly stable. The memory is using stock voltages and timings and the processor is liquid cooled. I'm not sure if it has to do with the Turbo Boost or not but I haven't bothered with changing any settings since this doesn't happen every single time. Like I said it's not a huge issue since the computer runs perfectly but I'd like to find what's causing the intermittent behavior. Any ideas?

Pretty common problem unfortunately.
Affects P6T SE, P6T, P6T Deluxe (v1 and v2) as well as P6TD over a range of BIOS revisions. You'll likely get the usual "check PSU, board , graphics card, RAM" type responses -and I would check them out just to be on the safe side, but it just seems that some of these boards suffer from cold boot problems. A lot of the cheaper second-hand boards floating around eBay and refurbishment outfits seem afflicted, and I've tried troubleshooting a couple myself to no avail. If the board consistantly recognises all three memory channels then I'd consider you one of the lucky ones.
Google " Asus P6T cold boot" (or similar) and join a substantial club.

Have you tried running with no overclocks? I only mention this because i have exactly the same symtoms if i overdo my overclocking.

It usualy occurs when i adjust my memory speeds.

Thanks for the responses... it does the same thing when I'm not overclocking so I'm guessing it's the board BIOS like dbz pointed out. Sounds like that's exactly what's happening but I'm not too worried because it doesn't happen that often. The board has been absolutely perfect otherwise so I guess I am one of the luckier ones. The first owner of the board said he barely used it after he bought it brand new and never did a BIOS update. I may give that a try but my OC settings are working perfect so why ruin a good thing? Anyways, thanks again for the input and I will post back if I find anything out.

Back