Office 16 to include Clippy's spiritual successor, a new darker theme and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft office clippy- assistant office suite clippy theme tell me office 16

Remember Clippy (Clippit), the annoying paperclip animation that offered up assistance in versions of Microsoft Office in the late ‘90s and early ‘00s? He’s set to make a return in the next major version of Redmond’s productivity suite – well, sort of.

Clippy’s spiritual successor, the “Tell Me” helper currently found in Office Online apps, is coming to the desktop according to sources familiar with the matter as reported by The Verge.

microsoft office clippy- assistant office suite clippy theme tell me office 16

For those not up to speed, Tell Me is more or less a search field positioned at the top of documents. It allows users to search for answers to questions about Office features without having to dig through the help documentation.

The new version, dubbed Office 16, will also contain a darker theme – apparently the top request for Office 2013. As you can see above, it’s a unique look for Office (it resembles a Halloween theme IMO) but it could be easier on the eyes for those that spend most of the day working with documents.

The publication points out a couple of other new features destined for Office 16 including automatic image rotation and new sync options for Outlook that can sync a single day, three days, a week or two weeks worth of e-mails at once. The current version of Outlook only lets you download a month of e-mails at a time. If you receive a lot of messages or are low on space, this can be an issue.

Keep in mind that this is an early build of Office 16 so the end result could look a bit different and will likely include a few additional features.

Permalink to story.

Why would I only need a month of email? (n) That's rather stupid if you ask me...

*SIGH* If they grow that stupid ribbon any bigger you'll a second monitor for your actual document.

(WHY THE HELL does this site keep deleting words from my posts???)
Because it hates you, now get off your soap box. Besides the ribbon looks about the same size as in all previous releases so I don't know what you are talking about.

For those not up to speed, Tell Me is more or less a search field positioned at the top of documents. It allows users to search for answers to questions about Office features without having to dig through the help documentation
This feature is hardly new it is called 'Google it'.

If the MS version takes you to the MS website for answers it will not be particularly useful as it is bound to bring up millions of slightly connected answers.

Why do we even need another version of office? Selling a new version every 3 years is just unbelievable. How many more unusable features will this company come up with in order to fill it's coffers with cash? It's the same trap that all technology companies have fallen into and that is selling uselessness and making it sound useful!

No wonder they are laying off thousands!! It's a completely unsustainable business model!!! Are the heads of Microsoft that stupid they can't see this or are they just turning a blind eye to keep their salaries safe?

Give the true innovators the cash to develop new and sustainable technology which benefits us all not just greedy corporations.

Something old, something new, something borrowed.
did Microsoft recently got 'hitched'? :)
clippy is awesome! (at least in how I remember it. :) )

These are the first things leaked. It's a new Office, not a Service Pack. Of course it won't include only a new Theme and Virtual Guide.

I began with one monitor, went to two monitors, then three, then 6. now I'm back to 2 with one 4K monitor. If I can get an 8k monitor I will be back to 1

From day one Office has always followed along with whatever Windows theme one was running, allowing users carte blanche to choose their own colour schemes. This is an extremely important feature not only for those of us who happen to be colourblind but for WHS reasons too. Then for some inexplicable reason Microsoft completely removed all colour options in the current version, allowing only white, white or a couple of very light greys. I am colourblind and find totally white backgrounds very straining on the eyes, I prefer a light shade of green, and I know from reading online this is a massive issue out there with many users. From looking at the screen dump in this article it would seem they are again saying screw you, we will only allow dark grey.
I just don't understand why this is something they seem to think they should take away from users, given the metro look is all about different coloured tiles and such. What's next - remove our colour choices from Windows itself????? Do whatever you want to the rest of Office and the crappy ribbon and stuff but give me back my god given right to choose my own colour scheme.

Not entirely sure why the "Tell Me" feature is being compared to the Office Assistant (Clippit/Clippy) as Tell Me is way more direct (at least, it seems that way in Office Online), and is non-intrusive. Plus it does streamline the help process like the Office Assistant was initially intended to do

Not entirely sure why the "Tell Me" feature is being compared to the Office Assistant (Clippit/Clippy) as Tell Me is way more direct (at least, it seems that way in Office Online), and is non-intrusive. Plus it does streamline the help process like the Office Assistant was initially intended to do

From day one Office has always followed along with whatever Windows theme one was running, allowing users carte blanche to choose their own colour schemes. This is an extremely important feature not only for those of us who happen to be colourblind but for WHS reasons too. Then for some inexplicable reason Microsoft completely removed all colour options in the current version, allowing only white, white or a couple of very light greys. I am colourblind and find totally white backgrounds very straining on the eyes
The change was introduced in Office 2007 along with the Ribbon (another pet hate of mine). By the way I am not colour blind but I find it difficult to see at a glance which is the active window so your complaint is totally valid.

I prefer a light shade of green, and I know from reading online this is a massive issue out there with many users. From looking at the screen dump in this article it would seem they are again saying screw you, we will only allow dark grey.
I agree fully there is not much to choose between the various colour schemes and all are insipid.

I just don't understand why this is something they seem to think they should take away from users, given the metro look is all about different coloured tiles and such. What's next - remove our colour choices from Windows itself????? Do whatever you want to the rest of Office and the crappy ribbon and stuff but give me back my god given right to choose my own colour scheme.
Don't give MS any more ideas!

*SIGH* If they grow that stupid ribbon any bigger you'll a second monitor for your actual document.

Who doesn't have a second monitor these days?
Heck, I'm considering upgrading to 4 at this point.

For me it would be extremely useful if you could open a spreadsheet on another monitor using the same instance of Excel. To open an Excel spreadsheet on another monitor you are required to open Excel again as a separate instance which prevents you copying formulae etc. It does seem strange in the current workplace where multiple monitors is the norm this has not been addressed by MS. They seem to be preoccupied by the Cloud.

Back