Office 2010 hits RC, Windows 8 planned for July 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft Office 2010 has finally hit release candidate, and Redmond has distributed the productivity suite to members of the technology adoption program (TAP). Although there are more "planned milestones," the latest build won't be available broadly, according to a Microsoft representative. Nevertheless, it's only a matter of time before the RC build is widely distributed via BitTorrent. In the meantime, you can download the beta here.

In other Redmond news, an alleged roadmap (PDF) shows the software giant is pushing to release Windows 8 by July 2011. The document also pegs Office 2012 for a July 2012 release. The roadmap is rather extensive, so if it's not legit, someone desperately needs a new hobby.

For what it's worth, many previous dates are accurate and scattered reports nearly a year ago said Windows 8 would arrive in 2011. Microsoft has also been actively compiling post-RTM builds of Windows 7 since last year.

Permalink to story.

W7 RCs haven't started to expire and then they are planning W8 for a year later. Isn't a bit too soon, specially from an IT department view?

It's never too soon to fabricate a revenue stream for the greedmongers at Microsoft...

There's absolutely no need for another major OS iteration within 2 years of the previous release. But I'm sure they'll find some heavy-handed way to force consumers to make the switch and drop even more money into their coffers.

jgvmx said:
W7 RCs haven't started to expire and then they are planning W8 for a year later. Isn't a bit too soon, specially from an IT department view?

I agree it's a little soon and people have a hard time switching from XP to 7 never mind 7 to Windows 8. Yes MS is greedy but personally, I'm a fanboy and am excited about a RC to try out : D so it's not a bad thing for me, I'll switch (or add another OS to my PC lol)

Well we're probably looking at a 'release candidate' for it. Call greed if you want but all companies have long term plans. The extended support for xp runs until 2014. Most home users will have at least vista if not 7 by then.

Windows 7 is Vista redux. Let's see what Windows 8 has to offer.

Isn't it obvious, Bill Gates is getting older and he realized with the bad sales and acceptation of Vista that if he wants to become a Trillionaire before he dies Microsoft has to start pumping out operating systems to get his shares back up. So expect Windows 9 by 2013 and Windows 10 by 2015 and so on and so on.

On another note for now Windows 7 works really well with the lack of my sound card not having any support since Vista, other than that I can't be happier. Although I never actually had too many problems with Vista... Except this bloody sound card...

I'll admit I'd like to see a lower upgrade price tag, but like any real OS fan as long as the system is evolving keep the new versions coming. I'm one of few people I guess that really liked vista, once I tweaked about 100+ settings, but I had to do just as much if not more tweaking to get XP where I tolerated it.

I like Linux just as much as windows, and it drives me nuts not to get a new OS every year or two, XP was like a nightmare that nearly didn't end. Thankfully we at least got the Xp-64 refresh for the AMD-x64 CPUs that was nice saw some pretty good speed improvements in a few programs.

I'm hoping to see some 128-bit CPUs hit the market to go with the rumored 128-bit support in Windows 8.

Adhmuz said:
Isn't it obvious, Bill Gates is getting older and he realized with the bad sales and acceptation of Vista that if he wants to become a Trillionaire before he dies Microsoft has to start pumping out operating systems to get his shares back up. So expect Windows 9 by 2013 and Windows 10 by 2015 and so on and so on..

You do realize that Steve Ballmer is the CEO of Microsoft, right? He does serve on their board but the majority of his time is spent on the charity he and his wife founded. But believe me, I wish Bill was still the CEO, if for no other reason than his likability...

After I installed the Windows 7 beta, and seeing how much better my system performed overall than on Vista, I took the plunge and purchased my first non pre loaded OS since DOS 6.22. I feel the money was well worth it.

If Windows 8 wows me so much that I feel the need to buy it, I will do so. I'm pretty sure that MS will put out a similar beta, with this one being so successful, and so I'll get to try it out like I did 7.

I think that touch screen is going to be the next major OS development, integrating touch screens, and probably some Natal derivative in order to free us from the keyboard and mouse and allow us to manipulate objects our desktop and games with a combination of touch and motion.

I'm sure they can improve the 2D desktop keyboard and mouse experience through better integration of web applications into our desktop and applications, and probably more ability to customize the desktop and the OS in terms of appearance and use.

mattfrompa said:
Adhmuz said:
Isn't it obvious, Bill Gates is getting older and he realized with the bad sales and acceptation of Vista that if he wants to become a Trillionaire before he dies Microsoft has to start pumping out operating systems to get his shares back up. So expect Windows 9 by 2013 and Windows 10 by 2015 and so on and so on..

You do realize that Steve Ballmer is the CEO of Microsoft, right? He does serve on their board but the majority of his time is spent on the charity he and his wife founded. But believe me, I wish Bill was still the CEO, if for no other reason than his likability...

And Microsoft strategies has changed a lot since Bill left. Course they never will be a M$ free OS, but look at all the student offers for windows 7 last year, for $30 you could get it, and you can still get Office 2007 for a ridiculous $40 if you are a student (and they give you 3 licenses!!). Course not every one is a student, but the juicy offer are there and you could potentially use it. Will ever Apple promote their products for, less say, a %5 discount for students? nope never!
I honestly believe that the stereotype idea of M$ being greedy need to star change it now; ok, they are business oriented and they need money, but I'm starting to note a change. I felt please they way they released W7, with the RC1 available for almost a year before. Does Apple, Novell or such do this with their major products? Nope never!
This W8 may be only rumours, the project will change or develop further and it most likely will end up in a Service Release for W7

Am I wrong or is Data Protection Manager 2010, which has just gone to RC, completely missing from that list?

Microsoft is greedy? That;s why Bill Gates has the worlds largest charitable foundation.

"Hoping to prevent the deaths of eight million children over the next decade, Bill and Melinda Gates recently committed $10 billion for child-immunization programs in the world’s poorest countries."

Yeah hella greedy microsoft is

I'll admit I'd like to see a lower upgrade price tag, but like any real OS fan as long as the system is evolving keep the new versions coming. I'm one of few people I guess that really liked vista, once I tweaked about 100+ settings, but I had to do just as much if not more tweaking to get XP where I tolerated it.

I'm hoping to see some 128-bit CPUs hit the market to go with the rumored 128-bit support in Windows 8.

That's very logical in my view; people forget to remember that everything related to computers is an 'evolutionary' technology whether its software or hardware. So as long as a hardware or software makes a compelling case for upgrade I see absolutely no issue with that.

Also everyone who love to bash MS, must remember as one of our fellow members rightfully pointed out above; that MS offers such a level of discount for students which is unmatched, the likes of Apple never do that as far as I know; hence, the argument that MS is trying to rip everyone off is ridiculous to start with. However, having said that I'll also like to say that MS should make its OS pricing even more competitive; instead of trying to cripple OS through WGA etc. which is childish and doesn't work in the real world. So trying to make OS more affordable is the right way to go.

If Microsoft can smooth out the upgrading problems that people had going to Win 7, then a strategy of more OSes more often with fewer changes is the way to go. Just look at any major PC game, especially MMOs. They release, and then they slowly add major changes.

Those kinds of major changes aren't really possible in an OS update, so it has to be done via a new OS. So if Microsoft drops the prices of new OSs and releases them more often... that's fine with me.

green98ls said:
Microsoft is greedy? That;s why Bill Gates has the worlds largest charitable foundation.

"Hoping to prevent the deaths of eight million children over the next decade, Bill and Melinda Gates recently committed $10 billion for child-immunization programs in the world’s poorest countries."

Yeah hella greedy microsoft is

And if Microsoft hadn't been so money hungry since Gates started the company, they wouldn't have that $10 billion to donate to help offset their taxes - err, I mean, to donate for purely humanitarian reasons. Remind me again, how many years has Gates been listed as richest man in the world?

Keep in mind that this is a company that was created by a man who claimed his goal was to have his software running on every computer in the world. You know, the company that used to charge up to $700 for an office package that the free OpenOffice package does just as well, so lately they charge more like $200-$300... Oh, and remember Vista? You know, that "we need more money, throw out a shoddy slow OS and make them buy it" product we've all come to love and adore?

One good deed doesn't make Gates or Microsoft eligible for sainthood. Past deeds and attitudes speak volumes about their character.

windows 8! WTF I thought 7 would follow a similar life span as XP, So with the issues I am currently having with vista, somethings wrong my games won't work, and keep crashing (think its a GFX driver issue) I thought, well may as well get 7. But reading this if I get 7, then 8 is just around the corner, an OS should last 5 years IMO, my Upgrade copy from 98 did, , and I got Vista ultimate for £100 last Febuary, so i had it less than a year! While Vista will be supported for at least a few more years (games wise) It sucks! I used to defend it, but now I thing its ****, Im gonna try an open source OS, i know there are compatibity issues, but Hell anything beats paying. (I am against Pirating)

Also everyone who love to bash MS, must remember as one of our fellow members rightfully pointed out above; that MS offers such a level of discount for students which is unmatched, the likes of Apple never do that as far as I know

They released Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) for $29 if you had Leopard (OS X 10.5). There are also educational discounts on hardware from Apple.

And if Microsoft hadn't been so money hungry since Gates started the company, they wouldn't have that $10 billion to donate to help offset their taxes - err, I mean, to donate for purely humanitarian reasons. Remind me again, how many years has Gates been listed as richest man in the world?

Keep in mind that this is a company that was created by a man who claimed his goal was to have his software running on every computer in the world. You know, the company that used to charge up to $700 for an office package that the free OpenOffice package does just as well, so lately they charge more like $200-$300... Oh, and remember Vista? You know, that "we need more money, throw out a shoddy slow OS and make them buy it" product we've all come to love and adore?

One good deed doesn't make Gates or Microsoft eligible for sainthood. Past deeds and attitudes speak volumes about their character.

He runs the worlds biggest charitable foundation. He gives back more money to the community and other countries than any other person or company combined.

Total 1994-Present $21 billion in grants.

@maestromasada:
I agree that MS is simply a business, like many others.

You do however mistake the cheap student prices being a sign MS isn't greedy. It's smart business. They foster a market, ensuring they can keep selling their products in the future.

But that is not enough. Although slowly, the IT world is opening up, in part due to the internet. MS has competitors which are re-inventing the concept of an OS. The early appearance of Windows 8 on a roadmap indicates MS doesn't plan to just sit and watch how these competitors divide the changed market.

Most likely MS will loose market share, if only because of the standards and open oriented character the market is developing. Those aspects aim to do away with an important barrier of the lock-in we are now in, which is platform dependence.

Well i got Win 7 for $30 which is great! Prob the best $30 I've spent in a LONG time. If they have another student pricing, I'll get 8 just to stay with the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back