Office 2010 nearing RTM, free upgrade for some 2007 users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you've been eyeing a copy of Microsoft Office 2007, there's no better time than the present to make a purchase. In a blog post yesterday, Microsoft announced that customers who buy and activate Office 2007 will receive a free upgrade to Office 2010.

Gaining eligibility to the program -- called "Office 2010 Technology Guarantee" -- is easy. Simply purchase Office 2007 or a new PC with the software and activate it between today and September 30, 2010. You will also need a Windows Live ID, and the offer must be redeemed by October 31, 2010.

Additionally, Microsoft confirmed that Office 2010, SharePoint 2010, Visio 2010, and Project 2010 are all on schedule and will hit RTM next month. The 2010 set of products will be available to businesses on May 12, and as expected, consumers can get their mitts on the productivity suite in June -- possibly June 15.

Pricing for Office 2010 will be as followed:

• Professional: $499 boxed, $349 for product key
  • Professional Academic: $99 boxed only
  • Home and Student: $149 boxed, $119 for product key
  • Home and Business: $279 boxed, $199 for a product key

Permalink to story.

Well that's weak. What about those of us who bought Office 2007 a year ago? We don't get props for supporting the Office product?

I have a question. If I buy 07 now can I install '10 on a different PC later?

Think i'll stick with Office 2007 till the next version, its got nothing new I need.

Unless I can buy it through work for £11!

What about the court injunction Microsoft had preventing it from selling office? Is that gone? I never read about the remedy in Techspot.

I have tried out the beta, a lot of improvements have been made. Although if you are extremely satisfied with 2007, there is not much benefit.

I don't understand how this business model will last too much longer. Google offers google docs for free. I can access it from any internet connection anywhere. Even on my phone. It's not as robust as Microsoft Word, but how often are you really ever using all of the features in Word? Soon enough, Microsoft Office will be irrelevant.

I just purchased Office 2007. I'm pretty sure I'll make it through University with it, albeit "outdated" when Office 2010 will come out lol.

I don't understand how this business model will last too much longer. Google offers google docs for free. I can access it from any internet connection anywhere. Even on my phone. It's not as robust as Microsoft Word, but how often are you really ever using all of the features in Word? Soon enough, Microsoft Office will be irrelevant.

I don't see google docs penetrating the corporate space in foreseeable future; reason being 'the issue of control over their critical business processes/information'. No online service can be trusted as such to hold such data online; let alone google. Also, there is issue with what you can actually do with all that information/data; and google is nothing more than rubbish at that for advance users atm.

However, for ordinary user who just need type couple of letters once in a while, or for SE's that seems not too bad of a solution.

I am fascinated by Office 2010. No, really, it's much better than 2007, although is in the RC stage. I can't wait to get the full functional pack...

As for those who don't write too much.....this ocasion( buy 2007 and upgrade free to 2010) , it's a great thing....

I use beta for a little while, seemed pretty much faster than 2007 (x64 version of Office 2010 on Windows 7x64), but I experienced a slight incompatibility in documents created with 2007 and edited with 2010 (some spaces between words and sentences used to just dissappear).
It had been probaby some sort of bug which was hopefully fixed by now.

Am I still the only one using Office 03? I am dissapointed by the incompatibilities between 03 and 07, and I may have to take the big leap for 10. I hope there are better compatibilities with the 2 older versions.

I was thinking of trying Office 2010 because many say that it's a big improvement compared to 2007, but there are still to many bugs and for that reason alone i can't use it for work.

Am I still the only one using Office 03? I am dissapointed by the incompatibilities between 03 and 07, and I may have to take the big leap for 10. I hope there are better compatibilities with the 2 older versions.

I still use 2003 at home. We "upgraded" to 2007 at work last year, and i STILL hate the ribbon interface. Give me back my menus, so I can find things again!! I couldn't even find the "help" button on 2007.

this meaN M$ excited to sold office 2010 like win 7.....office 7 is quite good but saving extension is (docx) is very annoying to novice user. hope this will be very easy to use in day to day work.

I'm using beta 2010 Office for 2 months. I think it just improved version of 2007. Nice visual effects and ofcourse it works like a charm! I suggest everyone.

MS office really started to suck after Office 2003. I don't like 2007 and from what i've seen of 2010 i think i'll like it less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back