Okay, I've been naughty..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokyo-joe

.. but I truly want to repent. I got a desktop made for me and the cowboy installed a dodgy windows XP. Now I want to get a legitimate one but I live in Tokyo and here there are 2 possible wersions - one for people who have Windows 98 etc installed and wish to upgrade, or people who have no Windows at all.

So, which should I go for? My belief is that I probably should save all docs, unistall dodgy XP then install the 'no windows at all' software. Bear in mind I'm not a computing genius.

Appreciate this.

Joe

you mean a pirated copy.

Go legit and get a full installer.
you don't have w98 so an upgrader won't work.

Get an OEM XP-Pro from the likes of Newegg or other company that may ship abroad.
Or get a US-relative to buy it there and put it in the mail to you.

There are a few places here in Tokyo selling English Windows XP, both Full and Upgrade version.

But you can also find the OEM versions for much cheaper on the Japan Yahoo Auctions. If you speak Japanese, or have a friend who can help you, check it out. I got an OEM version for 5,000 Yen (unused).

Isn't the Corporate version just the same as Pro, except with a volume licence key, or have I read some dodgy info somewhere?

Spike said:
Isn't the Corporate version just the same as Pro, except with a volume licence key, or have I read some dodgy info somewhere?

that is what i have always thought

As far as I know they don't sell the corporate VS anymore.
it is the same thing ,they do sell volume license's ,but why would you pay for
3,5 or 10 when you need 1.
if this is wrong ,please point me to an unlimited licensed version,reseller.All XP's have to be activated.
buy the full version xp pro
I'm still debating if I should go back to windows 2000.
I can run my dual as hyperthread with xp but not with 2000
not seen much improvement .
ebay I know I know

and knitting and knitting

no, i got told by numerous people that you don't have to activate corporate versions. basically like windows 2000. just use the product key and install. no hassle with activation or any of that stuff.

Miss understand
there is no corp versions being legaly sold anymore
yes originaly they where and no activation
I talked to ms developer all new VLK's need activation
please if this is wrong point me to a legal copy would like to buy one.
in point of fact the copys that are out there had issues with service pack upgrades,because of the stolen keys
MS has blacklist this issue has been fixed

Ta for the advice y'all. I will check out the Japan yahoo auctions as I'm loathe to spend 25,000+ yen on what is essentially c-rap. In theory if my desktop were to crash for good I could buy a newish one for 50,000yen and not feel worse off. There's the rub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back