Old issue, new context?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this problem has been talked about before but I need to ask some questions about it:

Today I downloaded and installed (straight from windows) Internet Explorer 8 to run a web program for a class I'm taking. After it installed, it wanted to reboot, like normal so I rebooted and when it restarted I got BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

After some freaking out, not finding my OS disk, trying to switch the boot priority in bios, and resetting default settings, nothing has worked. I tried to download the diagnostic check for my hdd, and burn it to a disk using another comp but the file wont move. So there's that. Also, how am I supposed to run a diagnostic check without getting into windows? I noticed one guy on a thread had managed to get into his os somehow, can you elaborate??? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Yes first thing you should try to elaborate on last post is boot up from OS CD, go to recovery console and login to windows installation. If you can login to C: type in dir to see if your files are there. That will tell you if your hard drive is still good. Then try fixmbr to correct boot sector and restart. Post back here if you are still having problems.

As mentioned above, you need to use the recovery console you'll find on your OS disk. However, if you can't find your OS disk you can still download the XP and Vista recovery consoles online (note these are recovery CDs, not install CDs) See this post for the links [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back