Oldie HP Pavilion DV5 overheating

Hey there,

I hope you're doing great.

I have an old hp pavilion dv5 that was running fine, being used for simple tasks like youtube, office or checking on social networks mainly but started overheating through the last 2 months until the motherboard finally got fried. So I bought another motherboard, cleaned up the heat sink (it was clogged, full of dust) and reinstalled it applying thermal paste.

It powers on and works but as soon as you start the same tasks temperature starts increasing until it reaches 80-100 C in about 30 minutes of use.

Will replacing the heat sink and vent help prevent this to continue happening? This laptop has an AMD Turion X2 64bit RM-72 processor and AMD graphics.

Thanks in advance,

Hello again, I found a workaround for my problem. I have used a combination of a software called K10Stat and the windows advanced power settings.

This Turion RM-72 is a 2100GHz processor so on the K10Stat part, I have configured the AMD processor with P-state profile having P0 set at 2GHz using 1.1Volts, P1 at 1.8GHz using 1.0875 Volts and and P3 at 1.375GHz using 1.075Volts. I had to tweak around this settings to get to this values as lowering the voltage ended up in a blue screen, and I based the voltage tests checking on the processor voltage specifications

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Turion 64 X2 Mobile technology RM-72 - TMRM72DAM22GG.html

This helped to decrease the temperatures down to 80 C, but had some peaks at 90 C when watching youtube videos in full screen. So the second step I took, is to modify windows advanced power settings by editing the following in the Balanced and power saver profiles:

Control panel -->hardware and sound --> power options -->Edit plan settings

Click in "Changed advanced power settings :

For the balanced profile:
Expand "processor power management"
Expand "maximum processor state"
and selected 80% for "on battery" and 85% for "plugged in"

For the power saver profile:
Expand "processor power management"
Expand "maximum processor state"
and selected 70% for "on battery" and 75% for "plugged in"

The laptop is now working on temperatures between 55 C to 70 C tops; a bit of processing power has been sacrificed but for the tasks it is used, it is enough.

Thank you,

Back