One core running at maximum capacity

Hodsocks

I have a query about a pc with a athlon II x2 240 processor running Win 7, occasionally a message pops up in the system tray saying one core of the processor is almost at maximum capacity, this can happen at any time.
Whenever I go into task manager to see what is using the processor everything appears to be fine.
Any of you guys any ideas as to what might be causing the problem.

I have never seen any kind of message like this before. Could the computer be infected with a virus or spy-ware?

I have never seen any kind of message like this before. Could the computer be infected with a virus or spy-ware?

Snap. I've never seen nor heard of any operating system giving an actual warning when CPU usage is high. RAM usage yes, but not CPU usage.

Definitely run a scan for any viruses of malware that you may have, especially seeing as when you check it's not high.

What Dustin/Polah said. a core being fully utilized is not something you should get a message for. Is this message in the system tray associated with any program or monitor software you have installed?

Nope this is a new pc I built which just has the basic programs installed, no monitoring software installed.Coincidentally he is having problems with the onboard sound being intermittent but I am sure there is no connection.

Back