OnePlus 5 Review

Had this phone been water resistant, I would have picked this up at launch, maybe next time OnePlus ;)

It's a pity these phones aren't imported here en masse, they have to be ordered through 1+ themselves. Our carriers don't sell them with contracts (not that I'd ever consider a contract). If they were I could probably get one for about $250. I wouldn't spend $500 on this phone when I can get a Galaxy S8/HTC u11, for example, for around the same price directly from my importer connections right now. If I wait until next year I'll probably be able to get them closer to $300 because manufacturers want to clear their inventory to make space for their new, upcoming replacements.

It's a pity these phones aren't imported here en masse, they have to be ordered through 1+ themselves. Our carriers don't sell them with contracts (not that I'd ever consider a contract). If they were I could probably get one for about $250. I wouldn't spend $500 on this phone when I can get a Galaxy S8/HTC u11, for example, for around the same price directly from my importer connections right now. If I wait until next year I'll probably be able to get them closer to $300 because manufacturers want to clear their inventory to make space for their new, upcoming replacements.

I believe they are working on getting carriers to take them. In the UK 02 recently picked them up and now offer them on contract.
I also think they missed a trick by not adding water resistance.

I always laugh at the shot-gun approach used to select the list of other devices for these review comparisons.

Fun with statistics.

Best thing to do, if you really really really want to spend the money for an Oppo branded OnePlus phone is to wait about 2-3 months. Their track record for "quality" is pretty low. After a couple months, the phones aren't too bad. I think they went backwards with the 5. The 3T was almost perfect, but, they screwed up with the release of the 5. Screen upside down, jelly effect problem, stereo sound backwards and on and on.
Not to mention if the size isn't a problem, the Huawei Mate9 is the same price and a superior phone.

Forget the phone, how did you get your cat to copy your expression in the photo on page 5?

I believe they are working on getting carriers to take them. In the UK 02 recently picked them up and now offer them on contract.
I also think they missed a trick by not adding water resistance.
Water resistance is very, very handy but hardly a game changer. I hope our carriers get them too in the future because it is the the kind of phone I'd buy but $500 is too steep for just a phone, any phone. I bought my HTC 10 about 4 months before the HTC u 11 was released for $300 while it was still in retail for $600.

You can get an unlocked LG G6 (better or equal to this phone in every category) with a two year warranty for $499. Not sure why anyone would buy this.

You can get an unlocked LG G6 (better or equal to this phone in every category) with a two year warranty for $499. Not sure why anyone would buy this.
And now you can get a Galaxy S8 for $425 after trade-in. There is no market at this price point for anything but the best!

I'm interested in the storage speed, Anandtech said that the P10 and Onepluses might have inflated score? Can anyone here confirm this?

Awesome review as always.

Near stock Android would be one reason, I've not used the LG but it looks to have a manufacturer skin on it.

Back